My 4 x 4 just keeps going

shawn9914

9 years ago I bought a cheap pajero as a run around whilst waiting for my new disco 4 to be built, I thought I would run round in this pajero for winter and sell it when the disco arrived.

Disco arrived but I just could not part with the pajero so kept it, it is a 1996 swb manual 2.8td I have used it for shooting ever since and in 9 years all I have done is brake pads and a clutch kit

Its amazing off road I have hankook AT tyres on it and it has never got stuck even in the deepest of mud I have jacked it up a bit by winding the torsion bars up

I can use it in 2 wheel rear wheel drive 4 wheel high or go 4 wheel low which also locks the centre diff in this mode it really is unstoppable I paid £1400 for it in 2010 and it's still worth that now according to eBay and autotrader on other people selling them 

It really is my own little tonka toy I will run it till it dies now

What do you have that just keeps going

LB

Land Rover 90  1989 ...just a few miles short of 200,000 miles and does everyhting I ask of it.  I paid £800 eleven years ago and have modified it a bit !! 3.9V8, LT85 box, Reange Rover Classic rear axle(disc brakes), but today all I have to do is service and replace the occasional wear part..brake pads,  just had new alternator believe the old one was original but I have no intention of parting with it.  Like your Pajero, it does the job.  The great thing is there are no 'computerised, parts as such. It is still like a big Meccano set and parts are easily replaced. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

The great thing is there are no 'computerised, parts as such. It is still like a big Meccano set and parts are easily replaced. 

Yes Walker thats another thing no ecu to go wrong no cambelt on mine its chain just feels like it was built to last i am in it now as i type watching some rape fields 

I would trust this pajero every time over and above all the latest disco and range rovers I have had that went wrong every week 😄😄

Edited by shawn9914

Daft as it seems, you tend to like the older or little quirky motors. 

My rav was great and I had no intent on selling it untill my wife tried to kill it in hot weather in traffic overheating it.  I was not a happy bunny.

Managed to sort it but had bought another shoot bus so ended up getting rid of it as it was taking up space and she didn't like looking at it.

I've a 2003 L200 that I bought 10 years ago for £3k.

The then mrs Edd worked for a leasing company and it had been one of theirs so full service history etc.

Could have doubled my money the next day and then bought a cheaper one and pocketed the difference but I liked it.

In 10 years I have put a pair of leaf springs on it and changed a couple of brake pipes that were corroding.

It still looks tidy enough to use every day for work, it's clean and tidy inside, it's done about 180k and been the least troublesome motoring I've known.

Might even give it a wash today.

Edd