Computer Assistance Needed

Grandalf

Probably something to do with the browser. Most likely a setting that's been in ticked. 

Google it and/or download another browser. 

Edit - googled it for you. With a computer that can follow a link. Have a read of this one. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/175775/nothing-happens-when-you-click-a-link-in-internet-explorer

Edited by GingerCat

3 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

GingerCat,

Thanks but that link gives me the Microsoft page for laptops for sale and computer games!

I've just clicked on the link and it goes to a Microsoft page in the image below, it sounds like there maybe malware on the computer re-directing web traffic

Deker

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, Deker said:

I've just clicked on the link and it goes to a Microsoft page in the image below, it sounds like there maybe malware on the computer re-directing web traffic

Deker

Capture.PNG

Grandalf is right, the link takes you to a MS sales page....

Edited by Cosd

Can't be much help as somewhat of a computer dummy. But mine decided unilaterally to go to Windows 10. All seemed well except for a similar problem plus others. Off to local repair shop who explained that my model could not fully cope with 10 - too old (like me) -  so they returned it to 7. All now well.

1 hour ago, Grandalf said:

Friends laptop working on Windows Ten.

When she receives a link to another website it will not highlight in blue so that she can click on it.

I have tried but failed to correct the fault.

Anyone tell me how I can sort this?

Thanks

Grandalf

Hi,

Is this only in emails? or on web pages too, if it's emails is it using an email program or web mail?

The link should go to a Microsoft support page as that's where I copied it from. If clicking it takes you somewhere else then it's a bit odd and something is redirecting you as the url was a direct copy and paste from their site. 

Try typing into Google- "nothing happens when I click a link in internet explorer" and from the search results pick one from Microsoft support. 

Steps to Reset Internet Explorer in Windows 10

1. Right click on the Start Button (Ctrl+X) and click on Control Panel.

2. Tap on Network and Internet.

url

3. Click on Internet Options.

Internet Options

4. Now tap on Advanced tab and go to Reset.

reset

5. If you want to reset Internet Explorer without deleting personal information, then tap Reset.

without deleting personal information

6. You can also check the option Delete personal Information and then click click Reset.

7. Tap on close.

It is possible but I would think some one has clicked a setting by mistake.

You can always run a antivirus or window defender check and make sure the windows updates are applied and up-to-date. 

The link problem to the Microsoft help page just takes you to the Microsoft store which is for laptops and games etc.

Edited by joejoe