Llangedwyn shoot

Benthejockey

Went for my one and only days driven shooting last week courtesy of FIL. Used to live over that way so knew the area and knew the keeper and have even hunted over the one part but I’d never been shooting before. Had a proper day! Peter and David (I think that was his name) were very hospitable, the food was very tasty and the shooting was very good. First birds on the first drive I may as well have waved at the birds - I’m not the best shot gunner in the world but I’m competent and have been know to floor a few sky scrapers once I get going but even the pegs above and below me had some very dead fresh air but the birds just flicked them the V’s. But once we got going the birds started getting brave and making mistakes, fatal mistakes. Second drive I was walking gun probably because I was at least 30yrs younger than most of the other guns 🙈 never been a walking gun before but it was possibly my best ever drive. The keeper said anything that behind us was the boundary and nothing was to go back over the boundary. No pressure then! A tricky and slow start for me partly because the birds all went the right way and secondly I spent more time looking where the beaters were than in the sky. Once I copped on a bit and after a little tuition by Dave the beater ‘Whatever lead you’re giving them double it!’, I was on fire. I won’t say how many I shot but it was plenty! A few got back but that was usually when I’d shoot two or three in a row and then get cocky and start poking at them again. I was absolutely buzzing after that drive. Third drive was after 11’s and was ridiculous! When they say quality not quantity this is the drive they’re on about...if you can shoot. A dozen or maybe 20 birds at most were pushed 1 by 1 off a small hill. Unfortunately we were in a small valley with their home above us. I couldn’t have hit these with a heat seeking missile but it was good to watch the crack shots try...and miss and then get ribbed by everyone else. Until it was my go and despite my best attempt I don’t think I even scared him! Then lunch with more pheasant goujons and scotch eggs than you could possibly eat plus a full beef roast dinner! We waddled our for the last drive which saw sensibly high birds that still couldn’t be hit 😂 they flew like missiles, the lay of the land and the tree line meant they flew low ish onwards you and then about 75yds out did an amazing climb like a fighter jet and jinked left or right. I connected with plenty and sharing the peg with my nephew he knocked a handful over with his 28. The drive finished with me taking a high cock bird going a million miles an hour and then looking over at my other nephew to see him crumple an even higher bird with his sxs. We had a great day, great food and plenty of banter. Hopefully FIL I’ll take me again next season!!! Definitely recommend a day there if you can. And definitely ask to be walking gun if you like fast woodland snap shooting and a bit of banter with the beaters. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 19/09/2019 at 17:34, ScottB said:

Just driven past the llangedwyn estate and disgusted to see dozens of young pheasants running around the road in panic. Lots have been hit by cars. 

This is not responsible or ethical animal care. 

It’s not very responsible driving either!! 

Im assuming that you stopped and shooed them back to a safe place?