On Demand Shooting

pigeon controller

I had a call out on Tuesday morning, " field Blue Over" when I arrived it had about twenty birds in the centre of a very large rape field. I walked them off and stood by the hedge to see if they had a route for returning to the field. The sun was very bright and a strong wind, after ten minutes birds were returning along one edge to an old oak in the hedge. So I built the hide under the oak with the strong wind from my back and the sun to my left but I know the sun will pass infront of me during the day. Decoys and magnet out and set up for 11.00, first customers in and despatched . The shooting was steady and the gas gun on the farm next door sent me new birds when it activated.

By 13.00 I had fiftysix birds down and I stayed for a further thirty minutes with no birds to the decoys they had had enough along with me so I packed up, I'd done my job for the day.

Today Saturday started out looking at the rapefields, I'd had a call on Friday and we went to that farm first drove across to the rape, no birds two shots still no birds drove back and kept on looking. Stopped at another rape field and just stopped at the gate and about one hundred and fifty birds lifted out of the trees in one large solid flock of birds. Carried on looking and came across a small farm with approx one hundred birds sitting in trees next to the rape, nothing feeding. walked across the field and the whole flock lifted and left the area, too spooky. Eventually found a rape field with birds down feeding others joining from all directions showing they wanted that field. Rang the farmer, yes help yourselves. When was it last shot Christmas Eve, thanks that will do.We carried the gear  to a second field  and set up magnet and ten on cradles above the tall rape. The first bird in flared at the decoys but was shot. We were set up for 11.00 and in the first hour we only had twenty birds with lots not liking the decoys, we moved the magnet closer to the hide and put out all the shot birds out on spikes in the tram tracks. I decide to go and walk round the three fields to see if it had been shot and within one hundred meters of our hide was another hide position with fresh feathers in it, this was on the point of a small wooded copse. We continued to get sporadic sport from birds approaching the decoys from all directions but as the afternoon continued they slowed up and we stopped shooting at 16.00 we picked up ninety pigeon for the picture and the dog found another on the way back to the Disco so 91 in total.

100-3310.jpg

56 Pigeons
100-3318.jpg

90 pigeons

Edited by pigeon controller

As many others on here do, I always look forward to and enjoy your weekly Saturday evening report. It certainly is a good distraction from some of the carp that I have to endure that the wife watches on the television. 

This report indicates your experience telling you which location to possibly avoid in favour of a better and more productive opportunity. Something that some of us (well me anyway) would probably settle for the first opportunity of pigeons seen.

Well done and thanks again for posting.

OB

As we have come to expect , a very well detailed report with little bits of advice that can be taken on board for future references .

I noticed the smile is back on the photos and I like the bit stating , and in the first hour we only had twenty birds , I like many others would be over the moon with twenty in the first hour , if that my case I don't know if I would sit it for the second hour.:hmm:☺️

16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

As we have come to expect , a very well detailed report with little bits of advice that can be taken on board for future references .

I noticed the smile is back on the photos and I like the bit stating , and in the first hour we only had twenty birds , I like many others would be over the moon with twenty in the first hour , if that my case I don't know if I would sit it for the second hour.☺️

Like you MM, I would be happy with 20 birds and would then head for home. I admire PCs absolute dedication and then after a gruelling session, to have the patience to set out the bag in true PC immaculate style for the photo. Well done that man.

OB

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My best ever bag solo was I think 12 pigeons and 28 when I shot with a mate. 

Well done Pc some cracking shooting. 

I can remember in the very distant past being out before dawn and staying till dusk in the freezing cold for nine pigeons!!!!!

your day will come just remember what works.