bornaghi cartridges Pigeon 36

Rumour has it that these are a 6.5 shot in terms of actual shot size and in a 36gm load are a close match to pigeon extreme which everyone raves about on the high stuff but these Bornaghi are selling for £50 a slab in some shops.

Sounds like a good shell for that money.

No photo description available.

Edited by aga man

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

2.5mm/6.5 shot as you say. Different ballpark and quite handy without having to have too much choke which always makes things more difficult.

Yes my plan was too use them though my sxs which is choked at 1/2 and full perhaps they won’t work too well maybe pattern test time if I can find some to play with 

On 13/01/2019 at 14:56, aga man said:

Rumour has it that these are a 6.5 shot in terms of actual shot size and in a 36gm load are a close match to pigeon extreme which everyone raves about on the high stuff but these Bornaghi are selling for £50 a slab in some shops.

Sounds like a good shell for that money.

No photo description available.

if you can buy 36 gram carts at 50 per  slab thats 200pounds  per 1000 buy me a million    the lead for 36 gram is about 90 pounds per 100    been a big mistake made i think   i will phone them right now and report back       cheers  george

10 minutes ago, propercartridges said:

if you can buy 36 gram carts at 50 per  slab thats 200pounds  per 1000 buy me a million    the lead for 36 gram is about 90 pounds per 100    been a big mistake made i think   i will phone them right now and report back       cheers  george

well   just been on phone right enough    thats the price but only got 1250 left    i have asked them to get me a 40 foot artic at about 600 000 he just laughed and said  he didnt think can get any more at that price    came through another dealer to clear them out     never mind     cheers  george

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i realy do not see the need to use a 36 gram cartridge for pigeon shooting,   

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i realy do not see the need to use a 36 gram cartridge for pigeon shooting,   

no but when lads are paying nearly that for 28 gram to shoot them   they are a gift at 166 plus vat    anyway i shoot 36 gram 4s at   high flighting pigeon to get a bit practice in for good high game    using the term get a cartridge and stick to it     cheers  george

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Buy them all George!:good:

tryed to but not worth the few they have left leave them for a local  any more and wood have been there like a rat up a drain pipe    happy new year  davy boy   cheers george

On 15/01/2019 at 09:31, oldypigeonpopper said:

And yet it was the traditional pigeon load for many, many years. I'd argue, in fact, that it still is - although of course, not many folk use it given modern, StupidFast™ cartridges kick rather harder than the old ones did. Funny that.

A cynic might suggest that they'd worked out that making sensible cartridges too uncomfortable to shoot would shrink the market at that end and let them charge a higher price for "speedier", somewhat under-loaded replacement brands, whilst saving ¼ of the price of the lead. Of course, I don't know any cynics, so it's hard to form a judgement... :)

PS - A look at one of the old Eley diarys would probably be informative. Anything pre-1995 would probably be about right.

Edited by neutron619

29 minutes ago, neutron619 said:

And yet it was the traditional pigeon load for many, many years. I'd argue, in fact, that it still is - although of course, not many folk use it given modern, StupidFast™ cartridges kick rather harder than the old ones did. Funny that.

A cynic might suggest that they'd worked out that making sensible cartridges too uncomfortable to shoot would shrink the market at that end and let them charge a higher price for "speedier", somewhat under-loaded replacement brands, whilst saving ¼ of the price of the lead. Of course, I don't know any cynics, so it's hard to form a judgement...

PS - A look at one of the old Eley diarys would probably be informative. Anything pre-1995 would probably be about right.

Didn't that load relate in the main to the competitive live pigeon shooting where you needed to stop it dead before it left the kill zone and there was big money wagered? Archie Coats always used  bog standard Grand Prix and even in the 30s Burrard was similarly minded.

1 hour ago, neutron619 said:

A cynic might suggest that they'd worked out that making sensible cartridges too uncomfortable to shoot would shrink the market at that end and let them charge a higher price for "speedier", somewhat under-loaded replacement brands, whilst saving ¼ of the price of the lead. Of course, I don't know any cynics, so it's hard to form a judgement... :)

hello, one of the best professional pigeon shooters only used eley gand prix which are 30g in new terms