Teds progress

Lloyd90

looks like Ted is coming on a treat .don't do big shoots but read enough horror storys about out of control dog's .

left my springer at home for last day as she came into season.

don't know if anyone does different but mate reckons they can go bonkers and do one.

the glum face as we locked up and left was a sad sight but there ya go.

dog wasn't to happy either :)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Remimax said:

looks like Ted is coming on a treat .don't do big shoots but read enough horror storys about out of control dog's .

left my springer at home for last day as she came into season.

don't know if anyone does different but mate reckons they can go bonkers and do one.

the glum face as we locked up and left was a sad sight but there ya go.

dog wasn't to happy either

Thanks mate :) 

A bitch coming into season or in season can act out of character and not listen at all, however the main reason they should not be taken on a shoot is because there may be entire males there and they can spend the entire day trying to mate with your bitch. People say they will keep an eye on them but it can only take 30 seconds etc to get a tie. 

It can totally ruin a days work for several dogs on a shoot, and I have known people who bring in season bitches to shoots be told to F off sharpish! 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thanks mate  

A bitch coming into season or in season can act out of character and not listen at all, however the main reason they should not be taken on a shoot is because there may be entire males there and they can spend the entire day trying to mate with your bitch. People say they will keep an eye on them but it can only take 30 seconds etc to get a tie. 

It can totally ruin a days work for several dogs on a shoot, and I have known people who bring in season bitches to shoots be told to F off sharpish! 

Absolute menace they are, even a week or more afterwards sometimes. The owners totally selfish.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Absolute menace they are, even a week or more afterwards sometimes. The owners totally selfish.

Agreed. 

Thanks mate  

But they rarely get it. Even when a bitch is obviously in season or just passed it they still take their little darlings into the shooting field.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

have nearly come to blows on several occasions with folk bringing season bitches for picking up......christ that has caused some upsets ....but they still do it

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Selfish or just ignorant? Some people may not know any better ... but must be lacking a bit of common sense. 

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

have nearly come to blows on several occasions with folk bringing season bitches for picking up......christ that has caused some upsets ....but they still do it

Does the shoot captain not tell them to do one? Issue can be sorted with decent captain / management. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Selfish or just ignorant? Some people may not know any better ... but must be lacking a bit of common sense. 

Does the shoot captain not tell them to do one? Issue can be sorted with decent captain / management. 

they ...guns and pickers turn up in their crew cab pick ups...then they go to the field.......buy that time it is too late...the dogs have the scent and stuffs them for the rest of the day......

but you are right in what you say ,...

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

like i said i don't do commercial shoots just a bit of rough shooting with a few mates and my dog.

dog bogging off  and getting nailed because of it was my main concern.

Summer quest to get Ted hunting cover like a demon. 

Today I handed in a big essay that is part of the end of my 6 month course. This course has taken up a serious amount of time, although it hasn't been awful as I have been able to take study days (which I used to take Ted out :lol: ) ... however it now draws to a close, just a final exam to go next week.

Post essay Ted and I hit up the beach front and headed down to a spot where I know there are some rabbits about. Ted was going along sticking his head into cover but not really going in, until he got some hot scent, he was told to get in and he was away. I could hear him moving about inside but couldn't see him, but he found his way back out when told. 

We went along several other bits but he wouldn't go in, just sniffed about again, until near the end when he went in again but was gone for about 2 mins. Must admit I was a little bit worried but he soon came back out. 

I need to get him into cover more however I am sure he had a little chase through that bramble. However probably not a bad thing and I can put that right later if need by. Managed to get a short video. Not sure how best to attach.

Edited by Lloyd90

On 04/02/2020 at 20:28, B725 said:

Maybe Ted is cleverer than you think, no point going in if there's nowt there.

Oh yes, big advantage for rough shooting dog :) even his pointing on game can let you know to get the gun ready, although when hot on scent he doesn't really do that. 

Funny that in a trial you would go out for not hunting cover or pointing. 

It's my 30th Birthday today, and yesterday I purchased myself a Remington 870 Wingmaster with 26" barrels and open chokes. 

I took Ted down the farm to test it out and see what was around. As the season is over I gave him a bit of a run in our woods where he flushed a few pheasants, he was really good, stopping on the flush every time. He flushed 2 birds out from under a log and didn't move, I thought there was no way there would be any birds left, but Ted went back and flushed another one from the same spot, and sat again watching it fly off. 

I gave him the command "Gone away, leave that". 

We hunted about the wood and he was getting into cover a bit more :) We then waited under some trees. As the light was fading I managed to drop a close bird that was coming in, and Ted sat nice and steady to the shot. I then told him to get out and he picked it and brought it back to hand! :)

Looking forward to the summer in the pigeon hide now :) and some long walks to get us both fit. 

Took Ted down the woods again today just got a big run out and took the pump action again. 

As we were walking down to the woods two hens ran out of a hedge that surprised me, they must have been 3-4 feet in front of Ted. I didn’t even have to blow the whistle, he just sat down and looked at them as they walked away. That work I did walking him around the hen house on the lead and telling him to leave them clearly paying off :) 

I then let him hunt up a big field. He is pulling on ahead a bit but I am trying to leave him flow more in his hunting so letting him go a bit. Plan to toughen him back up later on. 

He flushed a group of pheasants near the woods and sat and watched them away. 

We then worked through the woods where we saw a couple pigeons come past at speed in the winds, I fired the odd shot missing completely. Good training for Ted as he didn’t move on the shot. 

I will come back soon when the weather settles with a tighter choked gun :) 

Edited by Lloyd90

Took Ted down the woods again today just got a big run out and took the pump action again. 

As we were walking down to the woods two hens ran out of a hedge that surprised me, they must have been 3-4 feet in front of Ted. I didn’t even have to blow the whistle, he just sat down and looked at them as they walked away. That work I did walking him around the hen house on the lead and telling him to leave them clearly paying off  

I then let him hunt up a big field. He is pulling on ahead a bit but I am trying to leave him flow more in his hunting so letting him go a bit. Plan to toughen him back up later on. 

He flushed a group of pheasants near the woods and sat and watched them away. 

We then worked through the woods where we saw a couple pigeons come past at speed in the winds, I fired the odd shot missing completely. Good training for Ted as he didn’t move on the shot. 

I will come back soon when the weather settles with a tighter choked gun  

....maybe a trip to Spec Savers as well Heh??  Nah, just jesting.  It is good to hear this little dog is coming on so well but that is only because you have put the time in. Many expect it to just happen and as we know it doesn't. It takes many hours of contsnat attention.  Well done.

On 19/02/2020 at 16:11, Walker570 said:

....maybe a trip to Spec Savers as well Heh??  Nah, just jesting.  It is good to hear this little dog is coming on so well but that is only because you have put the time in. Many expect it to just happen and as we know it doesn't. It takes many hours of contsnat attention.  Well done.

Ain't that the truth, it's constant work! 

Tonight I took Ted along down the woods to try our first experience roost shooting, along with one of the other guns on the small shoot. I took my silver pigeon and stuck 1/2 and 3/4 chokes in, and took some pigeon extreme 34g 5's, as it was blowing a bloody gale. 

As we walked into the permission we saw about 5 pheasants flush in a big ground ahead of us, and Ted sat up to the flush and just watched the birds away. We moved through this big wood and went down to the bottom woods on the farm. 

We waited down the bottom wood for a while, and after a good 20 mins a bird came past and was almost floating in the air. I fired the bottom barrel and to my surprise the bird dropped down. Ted watched it fall but didn't move, and I sent him. He ran off and hunted around out of my sight. I thought I couldn't do much to help him so I left him get on with it. After what felt likes ages, I saw Ted had pulled much further out and was running around with no bird, so I recalled him to me, and he came back and just sat under the tree with me. I waited a few more minutes then went off and sent him again to hunt the rough area of the fall. I pointed through a hedge and told him to get back and he went through and started hunting around. He was pulling further out, so I stopped him and thought it was loss, and recalled him. Luckily as he was coming back he hit the scent and went into the hedge again, reappearing with the pigeon in his mouth. 

I called him to me but walked back to the tree myself, letting him carry his prize. Just as we got back however he dropped the bird and wasn't too keen to pick it back up, think he was getting some feathers in his mouth, I had to give him lots of encouragement to pick it up and then delivered to hand. 

We stayed in this wood for a while until a farm worker turned up to cut some wood, so we headed back into the other wood at the top of the farm. It was a windy spot here, not a lot of action but several birds came past which were missed. Must have fired 20+ shots between two guns for no birds with Ted remaining steady on most of them. He did run in twice after several missed, although remained steady on the vast majority of shots. 

At the end a pigeon came in and almost landed and I managed to drop it quite far out, and Ted remained steady for that again. I then sent him back and he went to the fall area and managed to pick the bird, and then came back, but again he dropped it a bit short and then didn't want to pick it up. I went out to him and placed the bird in his mouth giving him the hold it command, he then held it for a while whilst I stocked his chest and chin, before I took it and told him dead. Something we will have to work on.

Also several times throughout the shooting I took Ted off for a little hunt through the wood, he didn't go into cover on some bits, but where there was scent he was practically crawling through cover on his belly. He's definately getting better but needs to go in more if he will ever trial, at the moment he just looks at it and turns away :lol: (I think he's too smart to go in for naff all). He's good for a rough shooting dog I suppose but he would be put out of a trial for not hunting. 

We managed to stop for a dinner at the pub on the way home as my Mrs met us and we had a nice meal, he is absolutely cream crackered now, home and fed and took himself off to his bed and put himself away :lol: 

We will see how he comes on next season when taken beating more. 

I found that young dogs don't like pigeons first off. The feathers annoy them or something. My old choccy lab initially didn't want to pick them up, although he would retrieve anything else , his favorite being hedgehogs but as he grew older he handled the pigeons well.

I used to have to clear the loose feathers out of his mouth for him. 

We used to put a ladies silk stocking over a pigeon first off for training and they got the scent/taste eventually happy to pick an open bird. 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I found that young dogs don't like pigeons first off. The feathers annoy them or something. My old choccy lab initially didn't want to pick them up, although he would retrieve anything else , his favorite being hedgehogs but as he grew older he handled the pigeons well.

I used to have to clear the loose feathers out of his mouth for him. 

We used to put a ladies silk stocking over a pigeon first off for training and they got the scent/taste eventually happy to pick an open bird. 

Yes I think it’s the loose feathers also. We have done the pigeon (and pheasant) in a stocking trick when we started. 

The other day I was letting him run far and wide in the woods by my house just on a walk to just burn off some steam. My partner had come along for a walk. 

All of a sudden I heard her making a horrible noise and looked over to see Ted had pulled a headless pigeon out of a piece of cover and duly was bounding to us both to hand it over :lol: 

Luckily it was nice and fresh, must have been taken by an owl the night before. 

He seems to pick them eagerly depending on how they land, if he can get a good grip around them etc. 

• 1 month later...

Not a lot to update. Ted had a nice 10 days with Jeremy Organ in his boarding kennels whilst we were in Cyprus looking at wedding venues. 

He then went with my partner Amy to stay with her parents. I was supposed to go and join but with this covid stuff going on I remained at home, so she had two weeks of him going down the beach swimming in the sea every day. 

Her sister was over from Australia with the three young kids, and Amy said Ted was brilliant with them, being very gentle but interacting with them nicely :) 

I think he benefitted from some down time just being a pet. 

We have been up the woods once since hes been back about a week as not travelling far from home. He was going nicely. 

In other news, my mate has just bred his bitch and hopes that she has taken. Our supreme leader and commander in chief (Amy) knows the couple who are friends through gundog stuff and wants to go and have a look at the pups when they are born, if she has taken. The stud dog owner has first pick, and he has offered us second pick of the dogs (we would want a dog) ... so there may be another pup up and coming. If we do, it won't be until around end of July. 

Ted's training is pretty much finished now, he will be 2 year old soon, and have all of next season to work on his own even if we do go ahead with it as the pup will be left at home and not rushed, learn from past mistakes lol. But we shall see, our glorious leader changes her mind more than the weather turns. She wanted all sorts of weird cross breeds, I finally got her to consider a cocker as a least worst option, but I think from all the folk I've spoken to, springers are easier, and less likely to have faults. We shall see, if it's meant to be, it'll happen :) 

Edited by Lloyd90

7 minutes ago, B725 said:

I would like another pup to bring on as Stan is now 3 and I have retirement looming but the Mrs won't have it as Stan is a house dog and she wouldn't cope with two spanner's.

We renewed our mortgage here about 5-6 months back for a 5 year term, so we are in this house for the next 5 ish years. 

After that I told her we are moving somewhere with a bigger garden and room for kennel, which she has agreed :) I think I can squeeze two in the house. I don't think I would want anymore than 2 really, as they would take up so much time with training and working them. I think a pair is ideal. 

Once we move I would still put a kennel in, Ted would be approaching 7 and the new dog (if we get one) 5 by then.