Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Teds progress

You've dropped on your feet there,looking forward to seeing how you do with the pup you won't have any excuses now 👍

Yes It's not bad, I do a lot to help my mate out with doing the bales, looking after his kids when short and odd bits, and he helps me out with doing some mucking about on his land :lol: 

Only downfall is that his Mrs does livery and we can't fire loud guns up there as it can spook the horses. 

Just a bit of work in my mates pen y’day ... stayed in the open bit kept Ted on a long lead and walked him on loose on heal whilst the chickens all ran around us feeding ... Ted stayed well on heel... we did some walking right up to the bird saying leave them and he ignored them ok. we did about 10-15 mins then left the pen and went and just let him in a secure garden where he had some play with the other dogs. 

We then went in the big paddock with my mate and his dog... threw a retriever out, then chose which dog was sent for the retrieve whilst the other dog sat and watched. Did that about twice, then threw the retrieve, sent Ted, stopped him halfway and then my mate sent his dog and picked in front of him. 

Had another little rest and then after a good break went back in the pen, kept the long line on but threw a ball out and sent him to pick it whilst the chickens were around... Ted ignored the birds and picked the ball when told... did this a few times ... one time he ran and picked the ball then tried to run towards a bird but that’s why I had the long line on, I told him off with a smack and told him to leave it... then threw a ball and let him pick it up, he did and he was still fine afterwards so wasn’t shut down from being told off or anything. 

Total only did about 2 lots of 10+ mins in the pen around the birds and mostly all very good. Also walked around the horses which he completely ignored which was good and a bit of work with another dog. 

Just going to keep on going up there and doing similar around the birds until he’s bored to death of even looking at them. 

One comment, meant to be constructive.

Don’t overdo the stopping him halfway to a retrieve or you may make him a ‘sticky’ retriever.

Hope this is helpful.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

One comment, meant to be constructive.

Don’t overdo the stopping him halfway to a retrieve or you may make him a ‘sticky’ retriever.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers mate 👍🏻 Yes only did that once but let him go straight out and back with 3-4 others 👍🏻

Been doing group training most Saturdays now with two other lads who hope to or have run in trials, as well as a bit with a mate hunting dogs side by side, picking in front of each other etc... Ted's hunting yesterday was the best it's been ny a long shot. Being hunted on scented ground, he was jumping into and going through stick piles etc over and over he was real good to be fair, very happy with him.

Bit of shooting over him this early season and I have a list of clubs to enter to get him into a novice trial. 

We did some training this Sunday. 

Ted hunted through some cover very well, he flushed a rabbit right in front of him and sat to the flush watched it run off. He then flushed 3 more and sat and watched all 3 off. 

We only did a quick session as I had to get back for the pup. But he had done so well we didn't want to do loads anyway. Stopped on a high. 

Hi Lloyd, that's the best way short but positive glad the new pups settling in. 👍