Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Teds progress

Recommended Posts

On 04/01/2020 at 14:23, Old farrier said:

Maybe he’s not wimpy just cleaver enough to know there’s nothing in the bramble Bush 


Took Ted for a run down the shoot Sunday morning as we shot saturday, we tried to push some birds back to our woods. 
 

Ted flushed a couple birds in a wood and sat to the flush each time, then near our pen he found a hen that was sitting tight in some leaves, almost pushing the bird into the air off the end of his nose and then sitting solid :)
 

On the way back home I then worked him up a long hedge that is the length of our massive woods. Instead of running through the hedge like some dogs do, Ted instead just stays on the outside (I made sure we had wind coming through into him) and he just goes up the hedge line sticking his nose in every 5 or so yards. 
 

As he worked his way up the hedge like this he scents a bird so gets inside and starts pushing up, and within a second or two of being inside flushes a nice cock bird out of the hedge and back into the woods. Ted just stood and watched it off then popped back my side and we carried on :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good when it all comes together 👍about the only thing I can add is don't become complacent keep doing what you have been and I look forward to more tales about Ted. 

Well done both of you for sticking with it and not giving up 😊😊😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:


Took Ted for a run down the shoot Sunday morning as we shot saturday, we tried to push some birds back to our woods. 
 

Ted flushed a couple birds in a wood and sat to the flush each time, then near our pen he found a hen that was sitting tight in some leaves, almost pushing the bird into the air off the end of his nose and then sitting solid . 
 

On the way back home I then worked him up a long hedge that is the length of our massive woods. Instead of running through the hedge like some dogs do, Ted instead just stays on the outside (I made sure we had wind coming through into him) and he just goes up the hedge line sticking his nose in every 5 or so yards. 
 

As he worked his way up the hedge like this he scents a bird so gets inside and starts pushing up, and within a second or two of being inside flushes a nice cock bird out of the hedge and back into the woods. Ted just stood and watched it off then popped back my side and we carried on  

You sure there isn't some pointer blood in there somewhere:lol:  That is exactly what my GSP would do but my lab would do the flushing.  Sounds like you have a clever little dog there but you only gets out what you put in.  Well done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You sure there isn't some pointer blood in there somewhere  That is exactly what my GSP would do but my lab would do the flushing.  Sounds like you have a clever little dog there but you only gets out what you put in.  Well done. 

 

I'm almost certain that there is some, he goes on point, which is bad for a spaniel, as he doesn't tend to do it on game but does on bare scent at times, like a false point. His pointing instead of driving into cover is his only real fault and what makes me think he wouldn't be able to finish a trial. 

 

I am hoping more and more game exposure will make him stop. Although worst case, its not really an issue for a rough shooting dog, and I can still shoot over him :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, might make a very good hunting dog. Sometimes handy to be warned something is there but there again I am very much a pointer lover.  Hope he does make the grade for you as you have both put a lot of time in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part 30: Back in the beating line. 
 

Down to my mates shoot today beating again to give Ted some experience flushing birds in cover. 
 

We thought the cold would have pulled the birds back into the woods but they didn’t, it was very thin on the ground bird wise, as well as beater wise as several people couldn’t make it today and they were having a ladies day with some of the women shooting.  
 

I think we only had 2 dogs in the beating line so a bit of pressure was on. 
 

First drive which normally holds plenty of birds was empty, this was the cover that I lost Ted in first time I came, I wasn’t going to let him off but actually it had died right down and I could see through it well so I let him off and he hunted near me although was a little flat. 
 

Second drive was similar with him plodding along a bit, until a bird was flushed and shot at. All of a sudden it clicked and Ted started hunting much harder. We saw another bird flushed and away and he stayed with me. Couple of shots fired but nothing hit. 
 

Onto the third drive and we stopped by a huge bramble patch around a pond which we were asked to push out. Ted was hesitant at first but got a touch of scent and dove into it and pushed through the thickest of bramble to flush a cock bird. All I could hear was a load of flapping and commotion and was worried he had pegged it, I called it back and he came out of the hedge to me empty mouthed. We walked around and the other beaters told me he had flushed the bird out the other side and watched it off from the flush point without moving. 
 

After this we worked down a cover strip which Ted quartered with speed, I was really happy with him now as he was flying, but sadly no flush. 
 

Onto a block of woodland and Ted hunted this well turning when told. We got all the way down with no flushes until Ted dived into a big clump of cover under a fallen down tree and a bird flushed almost pushing past Ted to get up in the air. Ted just parked his butt on the ground and watched it away. We carried on hunting but no more flushed, however he was flowing nicely and going through some stuff. 
 

Onto the final woodland and Ted hunted alone, I walked past some cover thinking there was never a bird in there, only for Ted to stick his nose in and a hen bird to explode out and fly back behind us. Ted sat well as told and another bird was flushed by someone else. He could hear the shots going off and didn’t move, however when told to hunt on decided to go and have a look for the birds 😐😭. I didn’t get too upset about it though it’s all part of the training. I got after him and he was brought back and hunted on. He went to the end of the wood and hunted out a bit cover pile but no more flushes. 
 

 

 

It sounds like a lot however numerous times throughout the day I stopped him on the whistle, recalled him to me and he spent a lot of time on the lead when not hunting out something I wanted. 
 

He was still a bit hesitant on thicker cover and just stood looking at it and didn’t enter every patch of cover I prompted him onto, but he was a lot better and I think the more birds he finds in cover the keener he will be to get stuck in to it. 
 

He must have done something right anyways as at the end as driving out someone stopped and invited us onto another shoot which is bigger and where I haven’t been before. Luckily I am off on that day next week so along we shall go. Hoping to get Ted a few birds in cover again and build on his experience :) 

Edited by Lloyd90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Part 30: Back in the beating line. 
 

Down to my mates shoot today beating again to give Ted some experience flushing birds in cover. 
 

We thought the cold would have pulled the birds back into the woods but they didn’t, it was very thin on the ground bird wise, as well as beater wise as several people couldn’t make it today and they were having a ladies day with some of the women shooting.  
 

I think we only had 2 dogs in the beating line so a bit of pressure was on. 
 

First drive which normally holds plenty of birds was empty, this was the cover that I lost Ted in first time I came, I wasn’t going to let him off but actually it had died right down and I could see through it well so I let him off and he hunted near me although was a little flat. 
 

Second drive was similar with him plodding along a bit, until a bird was flushed and shot at. All of a sudden it clicked and Ted started hunting much harder. We saw another bird flushed and away and he stayed with me. Couple of shots fired but nothing hit. 
 

Onto the third drive and we stopped by a huge bramble patch around a pond which we were asked to push out. Ted was hesitant at first but got a touch of scent and dove into it and pushed through the thickest of bramble to flush a cock bird. All I could hear was a load of flapping and commotion and was worried he had pegged it, I called it back and he came out of the hedge to me empty mouthed. We walked around and the other beaters told me he had flushed the bird out the other side and watched it off from the flush point without moving. 
 

After this we worked down a cover strip which Ted quartered with speed, I was really happy with him now as he was flying, but sadly no flush. 
 

Onto a block of woodland and Ted hunted this well turning when told. We got all the way down with no flushes until Ted dived into a big clump of cover under a fallen down tree and a bird flushed almost pushing past Ted to get up in the air. Ted just parked his butt on the ground and watched it away. We carried on hunting but no more flushed, however he was flowing nicely and going through some stuff. 
 

Onto the final woodland and Ted hunted alone, I walked past some cover thinking there was never a bird in there, only for Ted to stick his nose in and a hen bird to explode out and fly back behind us. Ted sat well as told and another bird was flushed by someone else. He could hear the shots going off and didn’t move, however when told to hunt on decided to go and have a look for the birds 😐😭. I didn’t get too upset about it though it’s all part of the training. I got after him and he was brought back and hunted on. He went to the end of the wood and hunted out a bit cover pile but no more flushes. 
 

 

 

It sounds like a lot however numerous times throughout the day I stopped him on the whistle, recalled him to me and he spent a lot of time on the lead when not hunting out something I wanted. 
 

He was still a bit hesitant on thicker cover and just stood looking at it and didn’t enter every patch of cover I prompted him onto, but he was a lot better and I think the more birds he finds in cover the keener he will be to get stuck in to it. 
 

He must have done something right anyways as at the end as driving out someone stopped and invited us onto another shoot which is bigger and where I haven’t been before. Luckily I am off on that day next week so along we shall go. Hoping to get Ted a few birds in cover again and build on his experience :) 

Lloyd 90 

nice to read your recent reports, ted coming on better on the days your out with him , ted more relaxed in his work you in your handling it seems your work is paying off.the days beating with your dog is great plenty of scent and flushes, the only down fall no shot and  retrieves for trialing . can you not get any walked up shooting with like minded shooters /trialing people to shoot over your dog ,if you was willing to travel to the n/ west I could possibly arrange a day shooting over your dog in a spaniel group . I know its late in the season but if next season is better  feel free, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redleg in kale said:

Lloyd 90 

nice to read your recent reports, ted coming on better on the days your out with him , ted more relaxed in his work you in your handling it seems your work is paying off.the days beating with your dog is great plenty of scent and flushes, the only down fall no shot and  retrieves for trialing . can you not get any walked up shooting with like minded shooters /trialing people to shoot over your dog ,if you was willing to travel to the n/ west I could possibly arrange a day shooting over your dog in a spaniel group . I know its late in the season but if next season is better  feel free, 

 

I have some walked up land mate although do go on some of those spaniel training days, is that what you run? It's hard to get a group of like minded dog training lads together for a good day, a lot of people (fair enough as well) as just into the shooting, and want to get some birds in the bag. 

At the moment I think beating is helping as one of his weak points is hunting thicker cover. Because there are normally a lot more birds about on these driven shoots I can hunt Ted into cover and he is likely to get a flush, so that positive association is there. I am hoping that from this he will build more drive to enter cover willingly. 

 

He is very good at marking and picking so far, I think what we may struggle with in a trial, is if a bird is flushed and shot at but not hit, he may think it is down out of sight and want to go off looking for it. That's what happened on the end drive of the beating yesterday. 

 

I thought shooting and letting him pick birds might make this worse? What do you reckon? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have answered your own question Lloyd, as Ted is good at marking and retrieving you can back away from that part ( not all together) and polish up the other bit's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

He is very good at marking and picking so far, I think what we may struggle with in a trial, is if a bird is flushed and shot at but not hit, he may think it is down out of sight and want to go off looking for it. That's what happened on the end drive of the beating yesterday

Lloyd , I think that's what you need to concentrate on the flush /retrieve , your not going to get that in the  beating  line ie plenty of flushes but no retrieves can also make him a slack hunter too many birds about , his biggest reward in hunting his is retrieve to you that's what you have to aim for . a few flushes / retrieves back on lead or car he,s still a young dog 19 mths ,plenty of trialers want to know the ground /judges before they enter trial not all dogs will hit the hard stuff. no I don't do training days but I like to run my dogs with like minded handlers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redleg in kale said:

Lloyd , I think that's what you need to concentrate on the flush /retrieve , your not going to get that in the  beating  line ie plenty of flushes but no retrieves can also make him a slack hunter too many birds about , his biggest reward in hunting his is retrieve to you that's what you have to aim for . a few flushes / retrieves back on lead or car he,s still a young dog 19 mths ,plenty of trialers want to know the ground /judges before they enter trial not all dogs will hit the hard stuff. no I don't do training days but I like to run my dogs with like minded handlers


Ah I get you mate 👍🏻 I am taking him out on Tuesday on rough shooting ground, can hunt and if he flushes he can retrieve it If shot. 
 

Where about do you do your shooting? I may be interested for next season if that’s ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently sat in the car in -2c waiting for the windscreen to defrost, we are off rough shooting! 
 

Let’s hope there’s some birds around and I hope we can finally get a woodcock in the bag! I saw lots of dogs go out in the champs for not picking them. 

Edited by Lloyd90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A stark difference today from last time, birds very thin on the ground, there was a bit of scent about and Ted hunted some spots well. After a long hunt we managed to flush one cock bird that went out the wrong side of the hedge. I gave it a two shot salute but nothing came of it. Ted stopped to the flush and remained steady to the shots so still a good training session. 

C4232639-C008-4-ECF-8710-3-A39-C1-CB8-DB

Edited by Lloyd90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers mate, I am going to miss the last driven day of our little syndicate on Saturday and take Ted beating instead! 

I am not able to make Friday beating because have a recall day to Uni re an upcoming law exam. 

 

Fortunately that new big shoot has another day next Friday we have been invited on instead. 

I might know the syndicate shoot on the head next year, or try to share the peg with a mate so I have more time to take Ted rough shooting and beating. Hunting out cover is his weakness so that's what I want to work on and for that we need game to get in and flush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a nice little walk through some woodland by my house today, was a lovely little walk and I let Ted just run about as long as I could see him roughly. He mostly stayed close but I think bit of free running is building his confidence going through cover etc. 

 

He must have been running flat out for a big 30+ mins so that's good as I want to really build his fitness for next season. 

 

Also as we were walking back to the car, I saw a flash of white and noticed a Roe doe turn away from us and run off. Ted must have spotted it, as he had parked his butt on the deck! Phew!! A nice sight to see :) 

 

I am tempted to try and find out who owns the Woodland, and see if they mind me firing a starter pistol (or even the shotgun) in there, as it is honestly some of the best ground I have seen. I would even pay them to put a few birds down. Might have to have an ask around this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...