Kelbrook Shooting Ground

Alex1Nat2

As I was roughly in the area yesterday (Preston), I decided to go for a drive out to Kelbrook as its not an area I usually visit.

On arrival, the ground looks great, great clubhouse/cafe etc & beautiful surroundings.

Staff were very helpful & welcoming.

I should say at this point that it was windy yesterday so this can have an effect on clay direction & travel etc however 

I have never been to a ground before where you are shooting from a particular location & you can see clay's from 3 different stands.

At some points, it was like you shooting a 1 man flush! Not a clue which clays were mine & all roughly in range.

'Spare' stands were placed between the normal ones so you were sometimes shooting with another gun only 3 metres either side of you.

I enjoyed my time there & will defo go back but wondered if its always like that.

Steve & Alex

I'm sure if you are shooting with others its possible to 'time' your shooting with a mate pushing the buttons.

In my case I was on my own so reliant on the 5 second solo countdown.

Its near on impossible trying to double guess other shooters & the timer!

The only time I was on my own was shooting over the lake but even then i could clearly see clays to my right

which made for an interesting very low quartering away bird (I only shot it once honest)

Steve 

On 13/01/2019 at 18:08, BlaserF3 said:

I hope that you never shoot at mine though 😈

NOT if you get into em quick enough  !     😄

It.s the advantage of an FAC auto, it means you can get 9 shots from the hip without reloading  !    ???

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, Westley said:

NOT if you get into em quick enough  !     😄

It.s the advantage of an FAC auto, it means you can get 9 shots from the hip without reloading  !    

I class other people shooting my clays which I pay for as theft and the culprit will not be a happy bunny with me.

On 13/01/2019 at 09:57, Alex1Nat2 said:

As I was roughly in the area yesterday (Preston), I decided to go for a drive out to Kelbrook as its not an area I usually visit.

On arrival, the ground looks great, great clubhouse/cafe etc & beautiful surroundings.

Staff were very helpful & welcoming.

I should say at this point that it was windy yesterday so this can have an effect on clay direction & travel etc however 

I have never been to a ground before where you are shooting from a particular location & you can see clay's from 3 different stands.

At some points, it was like you shooting a 1 man flush! Not a clue which clays were mine & all roughly in range.

'Spare' stands were placed between the normal ones so you were sometimes shooting with another gun only 3 metres either side of you.

I enjoyed my time there & will defo go back but wondered if its always like that.

Steve & Alex

me and my mate shoot at kelbrook regular the new club houe is fantastic and hopefully soon the new toilet block will be up and running, the road up to the ground can be a pain could do with a few more passing points, there can be a bit of confusion some times with crossing clays the staff are very friendly cartridges prices are pretty good all in all its a good ground

3 hours ago, davewh100 said:

me and my mate shoot at kelbrook regular the new club houe is fantastic and hopefully soon the new toilet block will be up and running, the road up to the ground can be a pain could do with a few more passing points, there can be a bit of confusion some times with crossing clays the staff are very friendly cartridges prices are pretty good all in all its a good ground

I got my car stuck in the ditch up there on new years eve!  

8 hours ago, MarcMaxus said:

I got my car stuck in the ditch up there on new years eve!  

yeah its not good that would be my only criticism that road, i take it you got your car out ok. we are going up on Saturday morning we went up over Xmas and couldn't park very busy so went to coniston also a very goid ground

Would have to agree with the OP re clays in vision at Kelbrook ,only shot there twice and both times there were several different clays appearinig in gaps in the trees at once. Easily the worst case of this I`ve ever come across and quite puzzling given the amount of ground they appear to have unused.i`ve never felt the need to return !

7 hours ago, davewh100 said:

yeah its not good that would be my only criticism that road, i take it you got your car out ok. we are going up on Saturday morning we went up over Xmas and couldn't park very busy so went to coniston also a very goid ground

Luckily I managed to. I asked at the lodge for a tow out and they wouldn't help and said I needed a low loader to come out, that annoyed me as they could have easily helped.

I was then on phone to green flag and then two lads in a van stopped and helped me pull it out. I was lucky as was literally half an inch away from the dry stone wall but managed to get it out with zero damage thanks to the 2 lads (if anyone knows them, I owe them a pint!)

I'll be very reluctant to go to kelbrook again because of the lack if help when I needed towing out. Even the quads they have up there could have got me out or the tractor or numberous 4x4s. I was going to go back and buy a Blazer they had in stock too! Ill stick to Rishton shoot. Ill have a look at Coniston!

On 14/01/2019 at 21:14, BlaserF3 said:

I class other people shooting my clays which I pay for as theft and the culprit will not be a happy bunny with me.

Sounds like you have some anger issues to be honest.
If someone accidently shoots your clay, how is that theft ?

I know BlaserF3 personally and agree with him. He is a forthright lad, with proper standards, who will stick up for himself.

Some years ago, we were shooting at Kelbrook and a neighbouring squad thought it would be fun to shoot our clays. Big Nick took exception to this and proceeded to shoot their clays. I shot a couple myself. They were not happy. You should never be put in the position where this could happen - it's poor organisation. From a well spread out ground, Kelbrook has contracted into a glorified compak sporting layout.

Edited by Gordon R

On 13/01/2019 at 17:59, Westley said:

It can be more entertaining shooting at next doors clays though  !!

To all who are reading this thread, but who would post this and not expect a reaction as I know how bad it is at Kelbrook but here you have a person who has shot at Kelbrook for years and thinks it's entertaining to shoot clays that someone else has to pay for.

On 17/01/2019 at 14:59, MarcMaxus said:

Luckily I managed to. I asked at the lodge for a tow out and they wouldn't help and said I needed a low loader to come out, that annoyed me as they could have easily helped.

I was then on phone to green flag and then two lads in a van stopped and helped me pull it out. I was lucky as was literally half an inch away from the dry stone wall but managed to get it out with zero damage thanks to the 2 lads (if anyone knows them, I owe them a pint!)

I'll be very reluctant to go to kelbrook again because of the lack if help when I needed towing out. Even the quads they have up there could have got me out or the tractor or numberous 4x4s. I was going to go back and buy a Blazer they had in stock too! Ill stick to Rishton shoot. Ill have a look at Coniston!

hell thats not good who did you ask 

Edited by davewh100

Is it ok to shoot the clays when they miss them, if not I am a naughty boy too on occasion. Not at Kellbrook though. Sometimes a couple of stands away the clays make superb targets and it's just too tempting at times. I don't mind if others shoot my misses.

Sometimes if the clays are expensive I shoot any big bits with the second cartridge as I hate wasting 15p of a 32p clay 😀😉

Edited by figgy