Shotgun snap caps

secret-squirrel

Hi lads so when I last had shotguns about 5 years ago Ā (o/u semi and pump ) I religiously used snap caps for no reason other than because they exist and some oneĀ told me once to use them šŸ‘

So just starting owning shotguns again Ā o/u semi and a pump .obviously started usingĀ my old snap caps again ....Ā Walked into theĀ gun shop at my local clay ground . Took my o/uĀ out itā€™s slipĀ Cracked it openĀ snap caps popped out ...Ā bloke behind the counter ā€œā€ first of all Iā€™d get rid of them ā€œā€ Ā followed by it will break your springs ..... ?????

so now Iā€™m confused ?Ā 

Now donā€™t get me wrong I only own cheap guns but previously I had a few nice ones still sub Ā£1000 but were not all millionaires ay šŸ˜‚šŸ‘

Any explanations ? Have I been shortening the life of my guns mechanics all those years and am I going to do it again ??

Ss

Ā 

As long as you don't dry fire the shotguns you don't need them....I believe that as long as you've got a modern(ish) shotgun long gone are the days when you needed to release the pressure on the springs etc.

I still have a pair....the last time I used them is when I bought a second hand shotgun to make sure the firing pins and ejectors worked.

This subject done to death on pagw two under SNAP CAP TENSION.

Hope this helps and get them snap caps back in.

My reason for this is that the instructions with a Beretta O/U states that snap caps should be used. Also google Purdey "stock care and storage" The Purdey gunsmith also says to use snap caps in a Purdey over and under. These guys know more than any of the experts on this forum.

Edited by DUNKS

1 hour ago, prem1234 said:

I believe that as long as you've got a modern(ish) shotgun long gone are the days when you needed to release the pressure on the springs etc.

Even old guns don't need them.Ā  No guns NEED them.Ā  The ejector springs are cocked, and virtually all of the hammerless guns are cocked.Ā  They don't suffer weakened/failed springs any more for being cocked.Ā 

The notable exceptions I can think of (though this is through design NOT NEED to remove spring tension) are hammer guns (which are stored 'hammers down') and VERY rarely have ejectors, and the Purdey/Beesley/Atkin spring opener action, which is 'cocked' on opening, but the springs only compressed on closing - so storing such a gun dismantled (such as in its case as it might have been in days gone by), the mainsprings are not compressed (but the ejectors still are).

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Even old guns don't need them.Ā  No guns NEED them.Ā  The ejector springs are cocked, and virtually all of the hammerless guns are cocked.Ā  They don't suffer weakened/failed springs any more for being cocked.Ā 

The notable exceptions I can think of (though this is through design NOT NEED to remove spring tension) are hammer guns (which are stored 'hammers down') and VERY rarely have ejectors, and the Purdey/Beesley/Atkin spring opener action, which is 'cocked' on opening, but the springs only compressed on closing - so storing such a gun dismantled (such as in its case as it might have been in days gone by), the mainsprings are not compressed (but the ejectors still are).

Great thanks for confirming....šŸ‘

On 13/01/2019 at 12:05, ditchman said:

i can see no reason for snap caps...you dont release the tension off your valve springs on the engine of your car , everytime youĀ are not using it...........

the only possible use i could see for snap caps...is when you are testing your trigger pulls and the function of your ejectors....prior to taking it on a shoot...

I use them in my guns as they have v springs and these are more prone to break if under pressure all the time. If my ejector spring breaks I can remove empty by hand. If my v breaks its game over for the day. I have used them for many years without any problem. Just my opinion but works for me.Ā 

12 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

???

I do not propose to start that discussion again, suffice it to say that I have witnessed far too many accidents caused by live rounds that some clown thought was a snap cap. WHY do you need to take them out of your gun room. I am certain that the springs on your gun are NOT going to suffer much damage on the journey to and from the shooting ground.Ā  The worst offenders being those that use fired shotgun cartridges as snap caps !

Edited by Westley

On 13/01/2019 at 22:48, secret-squirrel said:

I should of probably searched for this thread before starting another .... of a mod wants to delete the whole thread thatā€™s fine ... I think I now have the answer (if there is 1 šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰)

Ā šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

SS

Don't be put off about resurecting a previous topic, after all there's only so many things to discuss about the workings of a gun and it's accessories, and they've all been done to death over and over again, but here we all are, still doing itšŸ˜Ā Ā There's always one or two that will jump on you, but the majority are only too pleased to offer advice on a shared hobby.

I bought some years ago, but have been too lazy to put them in most times.

They do have a few plus points, but are not essential. You may find this link helpful or interesting.

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/why-every-owner-of-a-break-open-shotgun-should-know-about-snap-caps/recreation-leisure

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

I do not propose to start that discussion again, suffice it to say that I have witnessed far too many accidents caused by live rounds that some clown thought was a snap cap. WHY do you need to take them out of your gun room. I am certain that the springs on your gun are NOT going to suffer much damage on the journey to and from the shooting ground.

I fully agree that anyone who confuses a snap cap for a live cartridge is very much a clowm/idiot and should not be allowed anywhere near a gun. But that is not the fault of the cap. Anyone in possession of a gun should be fully aware at all times of all things.Ā 

Just now, bostonmick said:

I fully agree that anyone who confuses a snap cap for a live cartridge is very much a clowm/idiot and should not be allowed anywhere near a gun. But that is not the fault of the cap. Anyone in possession of a gun should be fully aware at all times of all things.Ā 

I do not object to anyone blowing their foot off in the comfort of their own home, that is down to them, BUT, when 2 staff members are injured and all of the fertiliser that followed from Elf and Safety, because the Hospital is obliged to report any 'shootings', plus the Police attendance, is something that could have been avoided by leaving the snap caps at home.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I do not object to anyone blowing their foot off in the comfort of their own home, that is down to them, BUT, when 2 staff members are injured and all of the fertiliser that followed from Elf and Safety, because the Hospital is obliged to report any 'shootings', plus the Police attendance, is something that could have been avoided by leaving the snap caps at home.

Again I agree. My caps go with me are removed at the first stand placed in my slip pocket and replaced in the gun after cleaning when I get home. In my time as secretary of a couple of clubs I ha ve had to speak to a couple of people but never about caps. You will get no argument from me on this matter. I gave my reason for using and respect your also for not.Ā 

Edited by bostonmick

I am sorry to disagree, BUT, why do you need to take them to a shooting groundĀ  ?Ā  I presume you have more sense than to store the gun in it's slip, so why not leave the snap caps in your cabinet and replace after cleaning the gun,Ā  upon your return homeĀ  ?Ā  Of the 4 incidents that I know of,Ā  or have witnessed, NONE meant to discharge a live round, they ALL thought they were using snap caps.Ā  BUT,Ā  the damage and injuries suggest otherwise.

Edited by Westley