Shot with #5s

Walker570

I have just skinned that last muntjac I shot and found that the neck and shoulder area was peppered with #5 shot.  There really are total idiots about and in this case in the area between, Netherseal, Lullington,  Rosliston and Overseal.  Only one pellet fortunately had penetrated flesh all the others lodged beneath the skin.  We have discussed on here if someone has the experience to have a rifle and this begs the question, are there people out there who should not have access to shotguns.??     The shot was well spread which tend to indicate it was fired at some distance as well.

009.jpg

Having the 'experience' to own either a rifle or shotgun doesn't prevent anyone from being an idiot unfortunately. 

On syndicate shoot two weeks ago we spotted a roe which was obviously limping badly and under stress, so one of the members said he would bring his rifle round and sort it. Yesterday he told me that the deer had been shot through one knee joint and also had a through and through wound just in front of its rear legs, so right through its bowel basically. He said the wound to its knee appeared to be small calibre, and while that doesn't necessarily rule out a CF, besides anything else, it is truly abysmal shooting.  It must have been in agony. 

Not good at all and happens more than we realise i think.

Whats scary regarding FAC and SGC is the sheer amount of folk that dont know the laws on their use,and even the simplest things like seasons are not learned.And its not only the younger ones either with some of the older folk just so sheer minded than admit they are wrong or dont know.

FB is terrible on some of the groups and its pretty much daily that utter rot is stated or someone slated because the slater doesnt know the laws.

The least we can do if we are issued guns is learn as much info as we can on what we are using them on.In this internet era there is very little excuse and even the STs lately has had a shocker.

Could the deer not have been shot accidentally by a shooter shooting game.

I've seen some folk see a woodcock getting off the ground and start blazing away with both barrels into wooded areas. This deer may have just been unfortunate. Or as others have said someone has tried to shoot it with a game bird cartridge.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I wonder how the perpetrators sleep at night, it occurs to me that there may be an argument for people to pass some sort of test before being granted a licence to own a shotgun/firearm,

I think that is the case in France? Some sort of general hunting exam. 

I was thinking about this the other day also but I think there is a small minority of people that get a gun in hand and go mad and think they can shoot anything. An exam can’t test for that, nor for a poacher that shoots a deer with .22

You have to do an exam to drive a car yet look at the people that pass the exam and then drive like a maniac!

7 minutes ago, Rossco89 said:

I was thinking about this the other day also but I think there is a small minority of people that get a gun in hand and go mad and think they can shoot anything. An exam can’t test for that, nor for a poacher that shoots a deer with .22

You have to do an exam to drive a car yet look at the people that pass the exam and then drive like a maniac!

Agreed..you could argue, that at least a wrongdoer wouldn't be able to claim ignorance if confronted

3 hours ago, figgy said:

I've seen some folk see a woodcock getting off the ground and start blazing away with both barrels into wooded areas. This deer may have just been unfortunate. Or as others have said someone has tried to shoot it with a game bird cartridge.

I wondered about that too Figgy, but I suspect that i'm very likely being optimistic in my thinking that it was an accidental shot.

5 hours ago, sako751sg said:

Not good at all and happens more than we realise i think.

Whats scary regarding FAC and SGC is the sheer amount of folk that dont know the laws on their use,and even the simplest things like seasons are not learned.And its not only the younger ones either with some of the older folk just so sheer minded than admit they are wrong or dont know.

FB is terrible on some of the groups and its pretty much daily that utter rot is stated or someone slated because the slater doesnt know the laws.

The least we can do if we are issued guns is learn as much info as we can on what we are using them on.In this internet era there is very little excuse and even the STs lately has had a shocker.

Presuming it was caused by a certificate holder? Many of these cases are from unlicensed poachers. I would put money on most of these cases being caused by either unlicensed people or those who are well aware of the law but more than happy to break it!

3 hours ago, Rossco89 said:

Have you ever shot in France? I have, once, and don't think i will again! (and that was mainly due to the gamekeepers, safety and ethics!)

Edited by silver pigeon69

7 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Presuming it was caused by a certificate holder? Many of these cases are from unlicensed poachers. I would put money on most of these cases being caused by either unlicensed people or those who are well aware of the law but more than happy to break it!

Have you ever shot in France? I have, once, and don't think i will again! (and that was mainly due to the gamekeepers, safety and ethics!)

Not at all.

Never presume on things like this when it can be countless things and to presume would be ridiculous.

48 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Passing a test or exam will not stop “idiots” from doing these sorts of things. Passing a driving test does not keep all morons off the road and ignorance is no excuse.

Don’t add more obstacles and cost to the system.

Not wishing to get embroiled in an argument, I agree but would add that i think the roads are a safer place for having a driving test and that everyone should have a basic knowledge of seasons, legal quarry and legal methods before being granted a shotgun cert

13 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Not wishing to get embroiled in an argument, I agree but would add that i think the roads are a safer place for having a driving test and that everyone should have a basic knowledge of seasons, legal quarry and legal methods before being granted a shotgun cert

(or catapult,air rifle etc)

No argument intended, but there is no end to setting criteria for granting licences, and each regulation is wide open to different interpretation by the authorities. I suspect each violation has penalties which can be invoked already.

This is an awful situation but the idiots out there will think they are rambo who can take anything down with a spud gun is beyond me. This in my opinion is an inexperienced shooter. In my eyes there is a certain gun for a certain job it down to the person pulling the trigger. Maybe instead of a 5 minute visit from fao maybe it should be 7 minute and ask a few questions like the quarry they are shooting. Some people may agree some might think its time they dont  but this is how these things happen 

34 minutes ago, islandgun said:

But that still wouldn’t prevent idiots doing idiotic things. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

But that still wouldn’t prevent idiots doing idiotic things. 

your right you cant regulate for idiocy or illegally held guns but it may be possible to ensure that a beginner does at least know a few basic guidelines, perhaps a short test set by BASC or similar.. personally I have no strong feelings one way or the other but if it helped a few new to the sport have a better understanding of their responsibilities then fine.

Edit to say out of interest who added catapult and air rifle to my response.?

Edited by islandgun

19 hours ago, figgy said:

I think that's perfectly feasible and it must happen on occasions.

But more often than not it's probably ####s with no respect for what it is they're shooting at.