Property Madness

madmax666

I DONT BELIEVE IT......I know the saying location location but its now gone mad.  I have spent a lot of time in Cornwall and Devon since 1984, back when a b&b was £7 a night and a tenner was expensive. I know Padstow very well and have stayed there too many times to count and I know since Steiny got his claws into the place property prices have rocketed to the extent hardly a young local couple can afford to buy in the village they were born.  Now and again I like to look at places I cannot afford to live in just for larf,

I  have just come off a property website and found a fantastic looking farm near Crediton ..its a beauty of a house that looks like a gentleman farmer and family had owned it.. got the thatched roof  the lot  ...its sold with 83 acres of good land with a internal swimming pool to boot, and looks like a place you wouldn't mind dying there when the time came...the price  £1,350,000, in Padstow I found a 4 bed plain jane house set in a big sloped plain grass lawned garden and the price 3,000,000 squidollies ...what the ####### is wrong here.

cheers

MM

12 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

I DONT BELIEVE IT......I know the saying location location but its now gone mad.  I have spent a lot of time in Cornwall and Devon since 1984, back when a b&b was £7 a night and a tenner was expensive. I know Padstow very well and have stayed there too many times to count and I know since Steiny got his claws into the place property prices have rocketed to the extent hardly a young local couple can afford to buy in the village they were born.  Now and again I like to look at places I cannot afford to live in just for larf,

I  have just come off a property website and found a fantastic looking farm near Crediton ..its a beauty of a house that looks like a gentleman farmer and family had owned it.. got the thatched roof  the lot  ...its sold with 83 acres of good land with a internal swimming pool to boot, and looks like a place you wouldn't mind dying there when the time came...the price  £1,350,000, in Padstow I found a 4 bed plain jane house set in a big sloped plain grass lawned garden and the price 3,000,000 squidollies ...what the ####### is wrong here.

cheers

MM

You must be mistaken; 'operation fear' has decreed that the housing market is collapsing and all manner of finances ( both personal and corporation ) are shot. 

Meanwhile, as figgy says, it's all down to location. Even plain jane houses up here in the Lakes cost quite a bit more than the average person can afford, which is why many of them are second homes for those from darn sarf. 🙂

I was brought up in a small village on the edge of the Lake District, actually where John Peel is buried, where the cost of housing was twice the average cos it was a nice village with amenitites.

I used to walk to school an know just about everybody, by the time I was working all the old uns had died and the houses bought by outsiders,often as second homes.

I had to move ten miles away to buy a house and even now 40 years later would have to considerably down size to buy a house in the village.

Market forces, a house down south sold on retirement meant the buyers could pay more than a local for a house and still have cash left over.