Clay club yearly membership charges,

besty57

I'm just wondering what people pay for thier yearly membership,and what discounts if any, you get for beeing a member.and if you think it's a fair deal for what you pay,

You don't have to name the club if you don't want to. 

I'll start with my local club,

Usworth clays,

£50 per annum

Members £4.50 per 25 clays

Non members  £5.50 per 25 clays

Good deal I think,

Cheers 

Al.

Forgot to mention its only 5 minutes away from home :good:

Edited by besty57

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, besty57 said:

I'm just wondering what people pay for thier yearly membership,and what discounts if any, you get for beeing a member.and if you think it's a fair deal for what you pay,

You don't have to name the club if you don't want to. 

I'll start with my local club,

Usworth clays,

£50 per annum

Members £4.50 per 25 clays

Non members  £5.50 per 25 clays

Good deal I think,

Cheers 

Al.

I disagree, I think that is quite poor.

We use one fortnightly club which is £25 per annum and saves you £3 per 50 clays and another weekly club that is £22 and saves £3:50 on a hundred clays.

But if you feel it is good value then that is all that matters.

Personally I shoot Registered Competitions once or twice a month so move around the clubs within 75 miles of home and at these it is not worth being a member for the amount I use them.

6 hours ago, thebigH91 said:

If my memory serves me Usworth shoot once a fortnight so if you turn up and shoot 50 clays every time they are on that's a saving of £2 so over the year you would save £2 by being a member, I agree with Tightchoke its not such a good deal

Normally shoot 4 lines of abt, 

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I disagree, I think that is quite poor.

We use one fortnightly club which is £25 per annum and saves you £3 per 50 clays and another weekly club that is £22 and saves £3:50 on a hundred clays.

But if you feel it is good value then that is all that matters.

Personally I shoot Registered Competitions once or twice a month so move around the clubs within 75 miles of home and at these it is not worth being a member for the amount I use them.

Horses for courses,

Very few clubs are worth being a member of if you shoot around different clubs or comps. Very rarely will you make you membership fees back in savings.

Spennymoor used to be good value for members but prices have gone up. Only worth the fee if you shoot there a lot. Same as most local places.

Worst has got to be Bisley in Surry hundreds of pounds a year to save pennies a clay and you can shoot past the gate on a weekend instead of the first seven layouts. You can shoot past the gate on a night during the summer anyway.

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Very few clubs are worth being a member of if you shoot around different clubs or comps. Very rarely will you make you membership fees back in savings.

Spennymoor used to be good value for members but prices have gone up. Only worth the fee if you shoot there a lot. Same as most local places.

Worst has got to be Bisley in Surry hundreds of pounds a year to save pennies a clay and you can shoot past the gate on a weekend instead of the first seven layouts. You can shoot past the gate on a night during the summer anyway.

And the best way to improve your scores is to get out and shoot on various grounds whether it be ESP, ABT, DTL or any other discipline.

12 minutes ago, figgy said:

last time I was at Spenny it was £12 non member.

We were hounded on 2 occasions by the "lads lads glasses" bloke.

I know the fella your on about, glasses lads I've a pair here put them on.

Yes it's is 12 for 50 now was 10 non member and 8 for members so was worth it. At 12 per 50 you can go anywhere local around the same price.

Times in gun club used to be good value years ago for non members £15 for 50 including 50 fiber wad carts blue diamond carts were the norm. As prices went up it was 18 and Kent velocity or victory 480. Still was worth it. Now it's 25 so not so much value for money for the targets they throw as it's on a steep bank side and along the top which limits them.

Edited by figgy

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

No just practice but I think it's now ground rules.

perhaps a disclaimer to sign when paying?

1 occasion it was raining and difficult to see the targets through the water on the glasses.

on another it was so hot the lenses kept steaming up 🙄🙄

Everytime he acosted us he had his glasses on the top of his head.🤣

He insisted we wore them after shooting on the way back to the car park.

16 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

We always ask shooters to wear glasses, our insurance would be invalid if someone had an eye injury and was not wearing them. If people are not wanting to put glasses on when asked then they would be told where to go

Usually do wear them. Do you get many shooters returning?

15 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

We always ask shooters to wear glasses, our insurance would be invalid if someone had an eye injury and was not wearing them. If people are not wanting to put glasses on when asked then they would be told where to go

Its an excellent idea to wear glasses, to make it compulsory is going to severely limit your footfall, but I suppose it depends how busy you are.

Its on the notice board at our club that eye protection must be worn, but it is not enforced, to do so would probably be a full time job for someone, and end up emptying half the ground in short order, for them never to return.
As far as insurance goes, if you choose not to wear eye protection, with it clearly being a sensible thing to do at a clay ground, even if you are not shooting, then you have really invalidated your claim against the grounds insurance anyway.
If I set the course right, the risk of shot or fragments falling on to any visitor should be virtually nil, if the wind changes or it becomes apparent that there is a danger, play is stopped and the trap moved , or taken out of commission.
This happens extremely rarely, as does any fallout.

I think that I have heard every reason for not wearing glasses and dought that a sign on the notice board covers your legal requirments. However our safety officer has signed that he is responsible for safety and when he sees someone without glasses to use them as required or pack up and leave the site. Most people are  happy to comply with the club rules and anyone who does not are asked not to return

We are not a profit making ground, just a members club setting up and running it ourselves. But if shooters are not prepared to do as a ground requires then they should not expect to be very welcome

17 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

I think that I have heard every reason for not wearing glasses and dought that a sign on the notice board covers your legal requirments. However our safety officer has signed that he is responsible for safety and when he sees someone without glasses to use them as required or pack up and leave the site. Most people are  happy to comply with the club rules and anyone who does not are asked not to return

We are not a profit making ground, just a members club setting up and running it ourselves. But if shooters are not prepared to do as a ground requires then they should not expect to be very welcome

That’s not unreasonable I think.

The club provides the facilities for the shooters to play and the shooters need to be respectful of those rules if they want to play there.

Some grounds specify both hats and glasses, but it’s never been enforced at any of the three grounds I attend while I’ve been there. 

Ive been hit on the hand by a clay but never the head or face, but just the other week a young lad was hit on the forehead at Southwaite by a piece of clay. 

Not sure how worthwhile being a member would be if you travel around, but I could see it’s merits if it was the only one you attended. 

Edited by Scully