besty57

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, grrclark said:

That’s not unreasonable I think.

No its not unreasonable.
But in practice, you can either enforce the rules rigidly, and have no footfall, and eventually no club, or relax it to the point where the rule sort of ceases to exist.
There was a time when it became necessary to lend safety glasses, because people had 'forgotten' them, but they still didnt want to wear them, same as hearing protection and a cap/head protection, many dont bother, I dont, and look at me !

Image result for scarred face

Ive been to most grounds around Nottinghamshire, and been surprised at how much debris lands on shooters regularly, and this is at some of the more expensive commercial places too.
Like I said, if the course is set up properly , and tested before play starts, there shouldnt be a problem.
If punters were being showered with shot, or regularly hit by debris at my ground, they would soon get some head and eye protection on methinks ?

17 hours ago, grrclark said:

That’s not unreasonable I think.

The club provides the facilities for the shooters to play and the shooters need to be respectful of those rules if they want to play there.

if only it was that easy. The shoot I help run has been fibre only for at least 10 years yet every month someone shoots plastic. We have had to resort to standing at the gate and checking everyone's cartridges. It's ridiculous but if thats what it takes to ensure we can shoot on the ground then thats what has to be done

Marne Barracks shooting ground is £20 membership per year and £10 for 60 birds.It has to be one of the cheapest grounds around but more relevant to the members is the quality of the targets, if you can shoot well here you would shoot well at any registered ground. The ground pays out prize money as well on the Sunday shoots. from Auntie.

On 15/01/2019 at 18:23, Scully said:

Some grounds specify both hats and glasses, but it’s never been enforced at any of the three grounds I attend while I’ve been there. 

Ive been hit on the hand by a clay but never the head or face, but just the other week a young lad was hit on the forehead at Southwaite by a piece of clay. 

Not sure how worthwhile being a member would be if you travel around, but I could see it’s merits if it was the only one you attended. 

my friend got hit by a chunk of clay 3-4 weeks ago. He was wearing a hat but i could see that it hurt from the look on his face and the muttered comments 

if you have high driven pheasant simulating clays its inevitable that you will get hit at some point 

Our club is £60 a year.

£8 for 50 clays for members.

£11 for 50 clays For non members.

Egg and Bacon butty £1.50, Tea/Coffee 50p but free refills.

Fibre only. Any "strangers" are told this when they sign in, we sell cartridges so no excuse, we have only had 2 blokes who turned up together who objected and left. "We don't shoot fibre"

We did have one guy who said he would pay extra if he could shoot plastic, told him no.

Same guy now tells people when he finds out they have been to ours "why go there it's rubbish", horses for courses... We don't need his money.

And to veer again, Glasses and ear protection are mandatory and policed by the members.

We are a small non profit club run by the members.

Spennymoor is £50 membership a year and saves you £1 per 25 clays..£6 non member and £5 member so does make it worthwhile if you shoot there a lot.

ref the eye protection it is mandatory that it be worn in all shooting areas by shooters and spectators which I don’t think is to much to ask given the fact they will supply them free of charge. After all you only get one pair of eyes. 

3 minutes ago, buze said:

You guys have it easy. Cheapest *by far* west of london is AC Sporting, £24/100 clays with a membership around £100/y....

You don't want to know how much it costs at E.J Churchill, but the cheapest MEMBER rate for clays is £32/100 on the pay-as-you-go :-)

So cheaper than down here.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:20, figgy said:

Very few clubs are worth being a member of if you shoot around different clubs or comps. Very rarely will you make you membership fees back in savings.

Spennymoor used to be good value for members but prices have gone up. Only worth the fee if you shoot there a lot. Same as most local places.

Worst has got to be Bisley in Surry hundreds of pounds a year to save pennies a clay and you can shoot past the gate on a weekend instead of the first seven layouts. You can shoot past the gate on a night during the summer anyway.

I would disagree with you there Figgy as Marne Clay Club which is local to you only charges £20 per year and members save £2 on every entry paying £8 instead of £10 for a 50 Bird shoot as well as other perks such as a Free members shoot which was provided for all the members at the end of 2018 with cash payouts of over £800 across the board. 

Northern gunner Marne is good value, up to now the best value I have found in the area. in my post I did say most clubs are not worth it, Not all clubs.

If you shoot all over the north of England and midlands and only use the same club four or five times a year it wouldn't work out even at Marne unless you shot the members only comps or picked up prize money.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey so of you are paying a lot!

I can shoot registered quality targets at 30p each without paying out for a membership.

The benefits of shooting in England Dave, here it would be 45p/clay for a registered shoot and 40p birds only.

Yes there is someone to push the buttons and mark your scorecard, but it’s expensive.

We have a £4 levy per shoot per member in Scotland that goes to the SCTA for the privilege of a ground running a registered event!!

So from the birds only price of £40 the ground get back £36 and from that they have to pay 10, maybe 12 refs at £50 or £60 per skull so another big old chunk, so if 100 guns that works out at £28 -£30 to the ground.  I think our average number of guns at a sporting shoot will be about 90, our biggest ever turnout was still less than 150 guns.  You guys do that easy at lots of grounds every weekend.