BASC membership hits 155,000

Debbie BASC

BASC membership hits 155,000

Membership of the UK's largest shooting organisation has hit a record 155,000. 

BASC chairman Peter Glenser QC  thanked those who continue to remain members of BASC and welcomed the newest members of the association. He said reaching the milestone was one everyone at BASC should be rightly proud of.

He said: "We are delighted that the BASC family continues to grow. Welcome to the newest members of our family. 

"Reaching 155,000 memberships is another significant step forward for BASC and one we are very proud of. 

“The fact that BASC keeps on growing is testament to the hard work, dedication and passion of all of our staff, volunteers and other supporters. 

“All of our members, whether they be new or longstanding, can rest assured that the best interests of shooting sports are at the very heart of everything we do."

BASC chief executive Ian Bell said: "I would like to extend a very warm welcome to all of our new members and promise them and our existing members that their decision to join BASC means they will help us promote and protect shooting sports. 

“BASC is the voice of shooting; each and every new member who joins us adds weight to that voice."

BASC is the UK’s largest shooting organisation supporting all shooting interests and disciplines as well as highlighting the importance of high standards of behaviour and game as food and the important role that the sport plays in enhancing conservation and biodiversity.

More details on BASC membership and how to join can be found here: https://basc.org.uk/join-basc/

Peter Glenser QC’s New Year message can be read here: https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases/featured-news/basc-chairman-delivers-new-year-message-2/   

ENDS

Hi Debbie, 

155,000 full members (I know they aren’t all) paying £78 each is bringing in over £12M a year. Just a rough figure.

Will BASC be bringing any legal challenges against Police forces that are blatantly making up the rules and enforcing their own made up laws? 

I know this is something that members frequently state they want BASC to challenge, and also a reason people often state why they won’t remain a member when it is not pursued.  

It would appear that there is no shortage of funds for such challenges...  

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2019 at 07:32, Seadog1408 said:

@Lloyd90 are you thinking of leaving BASC?

mike

Apologies I didn’t get your notification of reply Mike. 

I left BASC long ago, mostly when I wanted to apply for deer to be added to the conditions for my rifle, I had land with fallow on and had held my FAC for around 2 years if I recall, having 22lr and 17hmr for the first year. I then had a 243 for around a year conditioned for Fox. 

The Police told me I had to do DSC level 1 course, I told them it ain’t in the legislation and I’m not doing it. 

I phoned BASC for their help and legal advice, their advisor rudely asked me why I was causing trouble and refusing to do what the Police wanted, then told me how BASC offer this DSC course. 

I hold  membership in 3 wild fowling clubs - each of them incorporating a basc subscription - so does that mean that "my" membership has been counted three times in the quoted membership numbers.

Oh and by the way, I never seem to be notified of the appropriate refunds by their membership office.

40 minutes ago, harkom said:

I hold  membership in 3 wild fowling clubs - each of them incorporating a basc subscription - so does that mean that "my" membership has been counted three times in the quoted membership numbers.

Oh and by the way, I never seem to be notified of the appropriate refunds by their membership office.

Speak to basc. They have a reimbursement scheme specificaly for this. You will get back the spare sibs. 

58 minutes ago, harkom said:

If you're on Direct Debit it pays to check how much you're paying if you hit 65yoa

58 minutes ago, harkom said:

4 hours ago, figgy said:

At least David used to respond and help.

Let's hope Debbie will do likewise.

The number of members means nothing if BASC don't respond to the issues.

Let's hope the extra money is spent wisely

Debbie doesn't respond. She only does copy and paste.

The lead ban was enough for me I remember been at the Game Fair  when the local Wildfowling Club was exhibiting in the BASC tent taking all the complaints from  the wildfowlers  while the BASC officials were round the other side of the tent taking it easy . this is one of their biggest let downs

Feltwad

Feltwad, I hate to say it `cos this is old ground, but BASC fought off a committment made by the UK government at the Ramsar Convention in 1975, ratified by the UK in 1976, to introduce non toxic shot - for over 20 years! It was going to happen no matter what BASC did.

To say BASC let us down is simply not to understand what actually happened.

1 hour ago, Feltwad said:

The lead ban was enough for me I remember been at the Game Fair  when the local Wildfowling Club was exhibiting in the BASC tent taking all the complaints from  the wildfowlers  while the BASC officials were round the other side of the tent taking it easy . this is one of their biggest let downs

Feltwad

BASC was run by John Swift in those days (1999) and a personal long term opposition against the continued use of lead shot by him was suspected, and to many confirmed when he retired from BASC and at around that time was appointed by the Government to chair their Lead Ammunition Group, which subsequently, because of alleged bias by the chairman (Swift) became popularly referred to as the anti Lead Ammunition Group. Many people believe he was responsible for the failure of BASC to put up any sort of effective fight at the time to halt the proposed lead shot ban? 

The government decided not to implement the recommendation of Swifts LAG report....as the members from the shooting organisations had resigned from the group, citing the chairman (Swifts) anti lead bias!........Swift then presented a one sided, unagreed report from himself on behalf of the remaining members (the anti Lead side) recommending a complete ban on the use of lead shot to the government minister responsible.....the minister (on behalf of the government) declined to act upon it!

Just think, next time there's some new legislation in the pipeline - banning muzzle loading revolvers, for example, 155,000 people wrote to their MP stating their objection, someone would take notice.

Instead about 200 people write, the legislation goes through and we all move one step nearer the edge.

41 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Just think, next time there's some new legislation in the pipeline - banning muzzle loading revolvers, for example, 155,000 people wrote to their MP stating their objection, someone would take notice.

Instead about 200 people write, the legislation goes through and we all move one step nearer the edge.

Exactly this, people think 

'I don't use that it won't affect me' 

Yet every time something gets passed they move on to the next.. Getting closer to the next group.. Then again a few hundred lobby and the rest moan after the ban is in place, when its too late

1 minute ago, greenshank1 said:

Reaching155,000 members by one of our pro shooting organisations is something to celebrate , when you read some of the comments above you'd wonder if this was actually a pro shooting forum  

Why? 

Should we all just stick our heads in the sand whilst issues like the police forces refusing to renew without medical reports goes on? 

Your mad if you think people aren’t pro shooting because they criticise an organisation that claims to be “the voice of shooting” yet fails to take action regarding issues like this. 

If anything the people complaining are making more effort to safeguarding shooting, whilst those at BASC pat each other on the back and say what a good job they’ve done, whilst not acting on the issues that their own members are screaming out for them to challenge! 

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why? 

Should we all just stick our heads in the sand whilst issues like the police forces refusing to renew without medical reports goes on? 

Your mad if you think people aren’t pro shooting because they criticise an organisation that claims to be “the voice of shooting” yet fails to take action regarding issues like this. 

If anything the people complaining are making more effort to safeguarding shooting, whilst those at BASC pat each other on the back and say what a good job they’ve done, whilst not acting on the issues that their own members are screaming out for them to challenge! 

Why ? , because the more people joining gives a stronger voice for shooting.

It makes me mad all the bitching that goes on . Surely it's better to be a member of a shooting organisation and have a say in how's it's run , and what stances they take , than come on an opening forum to criticise. Your definitely more likely to change their approach / stance / direction from within as a member than from outside as a non member. 

As a member you can complain or challenge any Basc staff or council. 

I never said they were perfect nor was I patting anyone on the back . 

Fact is , if it wasn't for BASC in the last few years wildfowling would have been totally finished at both Findhorn and Caerlaverock forever. 

4 hours ago, greenshank1 said:

Why ? , because the more people joining gives a stronger voice for shooting.

It makes me mad all the bitching that goes on . Surely it's better to be a member of a shooting organisation and have a say in how's it's run , and what stances they take , than come on an opening forum to criticise. Your definitely more likely to change their approach / stance / direction from within as a member than from outside as a non member. 

As a member you can complain or challenge any Basc staff or council. 

I never said they were perfect nor was I patting anyone on the back . 

Fact is , if it wasn't for BASC in the last few years wildfowling would have been totally finished at both Findhorn and Caerlaverock forever. 

I have been a member the last year or so through my shooting club.

Regardless. numerous members have raised issues re the Police making up the law as they go along, and this most recent issue with the medical reports. 

Despite it, BASC haven't done anything. 

So no, having more members clearly does not have a stronger voice for shooting. The Police carry on doing what they want totally unchallenged in this issue. 

An organisation, no matter what size, is only as good as it's leadership! 

The past is the past and BASC has had a few changes of personnel at HQ recently, I am prepared to give them the chance to win back disgruntled and disaffected members, particularly on the issues of NE Wildfowling Consents, and gun licensing!

23 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

An organisation, no matter what size, is only as good as it's leadership! 

The past is the past and BASC has had a few changes of personnel at HQ recently, I am prepared to give them the chance to win back disgruntled and disaffected members, particularly on the issues of NE Wildfowling Consents, and gun licensing!

+1 but they need to stick there neck out 🙂 Some chap on SD said that they were doing member surveys to get feedback which I thought was a great idea. As I had not received a survey I chased them up and was told it's only done annually as a sample of members 😞 We must all take  the time to feedback.