BASC membership hits 155,000

Debbie BASC

1 hour ago, oowee said:

+1 but they need to stick there neck out 🙂 Some chap on SD said that they were doing member surveys to get feedback which I thought was a great idea. As I had not received a survey I chased them up and was told it's only done annually as a sample of members 😞 We must all take  the time to feedback. 

I fed back regarding the game farm incident earlier this month, and the stance from basc was right unfortunately, the dumping of game in the way it was done be it whole birds or breasted out is not the correct or legal way. So basc cant defend it.  Unfortunately when looking into this the rules on disposing of waste animal meat is a minefield. But dumping in woods in that quantity by a business is a no, so basc did the right thing there. 

Police forces interpretation of the HO guidelines is a mess and I dont think anyone will ever get every force doing the same thing, medical checks are needed to make the licensing safe, dr's charging if they should, shouldn't be silly money, id happily pay £5/£10 for them to take time finding my records and passing them on. After all they are taking time to do this and no one wants to work for free. 

12 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I fed back regarding the game farm incident earlier this month, and the stance from basc was right unfortunately, the dumping of game in the way it was done be it whole birds or breasted out is not the correct or legal way. So basc cant defend it.  Unfortunately when looking into this the rules on disposing of waste animal meat is a minefield. But dumping in woods in that quantity by a business is a no, so basc did the right thing there. 

Police forces interpretation of the HO guidelines is a mess and I dont think anyone will ever get every force doing the same thing, medical checks are needed to make the licensing safe, dr's charging if they should, shouldn't be silly money, id happily pay £5/£10 for them to take time finding my records and passing them on. After all they are taking time to do this and no one wants to work for free. 

👍 I just want to see them more procactive.

Not just quick off the mark challenging abuse of the system and change that is not backed up by evidence but leading change. Waiting to respond to the next attack is not the way forward. 

Harnessing the support of the other agencies. 

Using the capital resources to good effect. Cash on the balance sheet is not helping the sport. 

Even going so far as to suggest and help the police set up new licencing systems along the lines of the online passport system. I am sure (if they can get police backing) they could do some commissioning work to demonstrate an on line licencing system. Together with a costed proposal it would be a powerful tool for reform. Through this they can address the anomolies and vagaries in approach as they standardise and modernise the system. 

Have to say any time ive rang BASC NI they have been very helpful be it contacting wildfowling clubs or looking advice on firearms issues Everyone on the forum will have there own views and rightly SO but i think there doing a fine job the old saying STRENGTH IN NUMBERS 👍

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

But that is surely a matter of opinion. There is an accepted method according to good practise, but nothing laid down in law as far as I'm aware as to what is allowed in law and what isn't. We dispose of carcasses of crows, foxes, pigeons, rabbits etc etc by leaving them in the hedge bottom or where they lay; if it's illegal then there are many on here breaking the law.  I don't mind being proved wrong.

Back on topic, I am increasingly disappointed with the lack of action of ALL our representative bodies ( and the leistershire incident could be the straw which broke the camels back for me ) and am seriously considering going down the insurance only route with an independent insurer. A few of my mates have done this after being with mainstream organisations for many years, and as far as I'm concerned the organisations only have themselves to blame. I haven't yet received a response from the NGO.

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

But that is surely a matter of opinion. There is an accepted method according to good practise, but nothing laid down in law as far as I'm aware as to what is allowed in law and what isn't. We dispose of carcasses of crows, foxes, pigeons, rabbits etc etc by leaving them in the hedge bottom or where they lay; if it's illegal then there are many on here breaking the law.  I don't mind being proved wrong.

I did say for a business, not you or I and the govt page for it is wooly at best. 

37 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Phoned BASC about applying for my firearms licence I was told  that I would not get my licence as i had not been on a course or belonged to a  riffle club. Waste of time phoning them no support. Held shotgun licence for over forty years and land is passed

Thats rubbish, if you have the land for ot passed and can prove it on the application then unless the force say we won't sign it off, you'll get it. 

14 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I did say for a business, not you or I and the govt page for it is wooly at best. 

My point exactly. Never been tested in a court of law yet organisations have condemned it outbif hand because it isn’t what they deem to be best practise.

We have dumped hundreds of corvids at times, as I’m sure others have. What’s the difference? The most foxes we have shot in one night was sixteen...none were recovered. Again, what’s the difference? 

Edited by Scully
Predictive text

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

Back on topic, I am increasingly disappointed with the lack of action of ALL our representative bodies ( and the leistershire incident could be the straw which broke the camels back for me ) and am seriously considering going down the insurance only route with an independent insurer. A few of my mates have done this after being with mainstream organisations for many years, and as far as I'm concerned the organisations only have themselves to blame. I haven't yet received a response from the NGO.

Lack of action ( visible and measurable) for me is the key. Insurance is cheap to get. I am paying extra for BASC because I want a whole lot more and not just a magazine and advice. 

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Lack of action ( visible and measurable) for me is the key. Insurance is cheap to get. I am paying extra for BASC because I want a whole lot more and not just a magazine and advice. 

This is why I left BASC, and if I don't hear soon from the NGO it will be the same reason I leave them. I demand visible and effective responses from my org's; I couldn't give a monkies about a magazine. If they aren't forthcoming then neither is my money. 

7 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Question   If strength is in the membership numbers  why are all the shooting organisations not under one  roof . Remember the saying  [ Unity we Stand  Divided we Fall ]

Feltwad

Because they all have different priorities and agendas. 

22 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Question   If strength is in the membership numbers  why are all the shooting organisations not under one  roof . Remember the saying  [ Unity we Stand  Divided we Fall ]

Feltwad

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Because they all have different priorities and agendas. 

Because they each have a bunch of fat cows at the top who want to hang on to their lucrative jobs!

Edited by Dekers

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

Because they each have a bunch of fat cows at the top who want to hang on to their lucrative jobs!

1 hour ago, Feltwad said:

Feltwad

The idea of all the shooting organsitations amalgamating is a sound idea. It has to be if you think about it.  

So who have we got?  BASC , SACS , NRA, CPSA, NGO, etc. etc. Confusing at best and all competing fighting for the same ££ pound from the people that matter, those that shoot !

I don't want to see shooting organisations join forces and become one because i have witnessed this with angling and we are left with the Anglers Trust who don't do anything of value other than lay down and die regarding issues of policy. Nice cosy jobs though.

I miss David BASC on here. OK i didn't always agree with everything he said but at least he commented with good reason. The OP needs to know that PW should not be used to "pat ourselves on the back" and as an advertising board but to interact and tell us details of the good they have done for the shooting community.

I've been a BASC remember for donkeys years and would like to know why David doesn't post anymore. Does he still work at BASC and if so has he new rules that need to be followed?                      

Edited by Whitebridges

3 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Feltwad

A big fish in a little pool is better than a little fish in a big pool?

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

The idea of all the shooting organsitations amalgamating is a sound idea. It has to be if you think about it.  

So who have we got?  BASC , SACS , NRA, CPSA, NGO, etc. etc. Confusing at best and all competing fighting for the same ££ pound from the people that matter, those that shoot !

I don't want to see shooting organisations join forces and become one because i have witnessed this with angling and we are left with the Anglers Trust who don't do anything of value other than lay down and die regarding issues of policy. Nice cosy jobs though.

I miss David BASC on here. OK i didn't always agree with everything he said but at least he commented with good reason. The OP needs to know that PW should not be used to "pat ourselves on the back" and as an advertising board but to interact and tell us details of the good they have done for the shooting community.

I've been a BASC remember for donkeys years and would like to know why David doesn't post anymore. Does he still work at BASC and if so has he new rules that need to be followed?                      

They wont amalgamate because the NGO was born out of former gamekeeping BASC members who didn’t agree with BASC policy regarding gamekeeping; the CPSA has tried to distance itself from those shooters who shoot live quarry; the CA is primarily interested in hunting with hounds.....they aren’t going to amalgamate. Plus, there is the question of who, of all the CEO’s of each one, would be the chief gaffer. 🙂 It ain’t gonna happen. 

1 minute ago, Gerry78 said:

As ive posted ive never had any problems with BASC regarding information contacting them etc You have a good point FELTWAD regarding them all joining together be harder for the Antis to try and stop field sports

Why would it be harder for the antis?