Stewardship Scheme

pigeon controller

7 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Just a question, with us leaving the EU will the above scheme be operational and can I now drive the edges of the fields ??

Good question. I can drive the edges of some fields, but obviously not the ones signed as stewardship strips.

30 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Just a question, with us leaving the EU will the above scheme be operational and can I now drive the edges of the fields ??

Very good question and I am sure you will get some good answers from better educated members than me .

I wonder if we did leave what other ways we would be affected directly and indirectly in our sport , like would the E U still be buying the same quantity of both game and pigeons ??

If the stewardship scheme goes you won't have to worry as farmers will plough them back in.

There was something saying that for a few years nothing will change so probably that's a no to driving on them.

You thought about a two wheel drive off road bike to get along the wheelings.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Very good question and I am sure you will get some good answers from better educated members than me .

I wonder if we did leave what other ways we would be affected directly and indirectly in our sport , like would the E U still be buying the same quantity of both game and pigeons ??

Yes. If they could get it cheaper or better anywhere else in the world, then they would have already. 

29 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

If we leave the EU the Gov't have said that environmental based schemes will continue.

I suspect that field margins will continue as they are of great benefit to all manner of wildlife and plants.

According to some commentators and even some on PW, this country will need every penny it has to run the country never mind paying farmers for grass margins and Stewardship schemes.

The Governments announced post Brexit strategy is to slowly cut payments in 2021 and abolish direct CAP payments in 2027 which are to be replaced with enhanced environmental schemes.

In the government’s first major piece of legislation mapping out post-EU policy, Environment and Food Secretary Michael Gove is set to present sweeping changes Wednesday to the agriculture sector. Gove's plan will phase out the EU’s sacrosanct direct payment scheme under the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), which props up farmers' wages based on the amount of land they own, and instead link farmers' payments to environmental standards.

The bill will also ensure British farmers no longer have to contend with rules that critics of the CAP say are too stringent and unfit for the modern-day challenges of food production and the environment.

The cut to direct payments will kick in for the first time in 2021 and continue until they are totally eradicated after 2027.

The bill pledges to guarantee the same amount of money now going toward the farming sector in both 2019 and 2020. Officials from Gove's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said the amount of money individual farmers receive after 2021 will depend on what efforts they make to improve the environment.

Despite what the Government is saying at the moment re enhanced environmental improvements surely a lot will depend on what the priorities will be going forward. We do not know enough about the way competition in the sector will pan out until we start to do the future trade deals. 

If we are going go to be more competitive it would be easy to see a move to larger more intensive farming practices, as well as a focus on food security.