Browning b325 steel shot

matt_rayner

I have a browning b325 12g with I believe 28” barrels and fixed chokes. 

I am hoping to do a duck flight over a small pond on our pheasant shoot but one of the guys said have I got steel shot. Annoying as the pond is tiny no shot is going to be landing in it but rules are rules I suppose. 

My question is my b325 ok to use with steel shot. ? 

Edited by matt_rayner
Added info

I owned a 325 many moons ago and I think I'm correct in saying they weren't proofed for steel ( there were no such restrictions back then as far as I recall ) but that wouldn't stop me ( and indeed doesn't ) from using steel shot. Your 325 will be more than capable of handling it but the choice has to be yours. There is always the option of non steel non toxic shot of course. By the sound of it you're not going to need more than one box. 

I have the multi choke version. The label on the side of the plastic choke tube gives a nominal choke size for lead and steel. As already said, stick to plastic shot cups and if you have reasonably open chokes it should be fine. One other thing I would add is stick with standard steel and not HP.

Have a search for this subject as the same question came up last year iirc. There was quite a bit of good info on there.

48 minutes ago, Foolofatook said:

Don't put steel shot through a Browning 325. This gun was built to fire lead. Not worth risking damage to a perfectly good gun for a duck !

The gun isn’t at risk from damage from steel shot, any more than if it were proofed for steel. The OP could use standard steel if he is in two minds, but the only thing which prevents steel shot from damaging barrels applies equally to those barrels belonging to steel shot proofed guns. 

There really is a lot of misunderstanding regarding steel shot.