Gun Auctions

islandgun

Good way to sell ....but! The entry cost, sellers premium plus VAT on sale make it a poor deal..............ok if you paid little for the item and whatever it sells for brings in a profit.....but if you are selling something you paid good money for, you'll probably take a kicking?

Same as buying at auction....beware the buyers premium and VAT!.......as always, Caveat emptor!

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, depends what you are selling ?????

Very true , as panoma 1 stated about the commission fees which is roughly 20% on the selling price , also a auction house near mine used to charge £10 for a gunsmith to check the gun over and say weather it was safe to sell , although I am not if this still apply .

If you selling a run of the mill s x s then don't give up your day job , they are making very little money and the buyer can pick up something decent for around a £100 .

You can look on some of there web sites to see what the guns made at the previous auction to give you some idea what's what , this also tell you what to expect to pay if you are buying one , and remember the buyers premium on top of the selling price .

Our local auctioneers, Horners of Acle have a couple of gun sales a year. I went to the last one and bought a few things. I think it's 18% goes to the Auctioneer. Some things go for good money but there are bargains to he had especially lower grade side by sides which more often that not went for <£50.

Details of the next "Guns at Noon":   https://www.horners.co.uk/5015-2/

50 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, depends what you are selling ?????

Hmm thanks men, not sure what i want to get rid of yet, nothing outstanding. I would like to sell privately but given where i live, it makes it difficult. I wondered about dropping the lot off at an auctioneers on a visit down south. TBH if the guns were to go for silly money i would rather offer them on here at a reduced price.. as an example and for arguments sake, I have a T Wild 3" chambers, C&H single folders 410-20-12 g Beretta o/u, Ugartechea 10g, Remington r/f...... This is NOT an advert just looking for advice

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Hmm thanks men, not sure what i want to get rid of yet, nothing outstanding. I would like to sell privately but given where i live, it makes it difficult. I wondered about dropping the lot off at an auctioneers on a visit down south. TBH if the guns were to go for silly money i would rather offer them on here at a reduced price.. as an example and for arguments sake, I have a T Wild 3" chambers, C&H single folders 410-20-12 g Beretta o/u, Ugartechea 10g, Remington r/f...... This is NOT an advert just looking for advice

hello, ok that looks some nice shotguns, the other thing with Auction houses is if there is a no sale you have to collect which if as you say down south might not be easy to do, is there a local RFD who would sell on commission ? or you could sell via gun watch bearing in mind RFD costs, if it were me i would make a list of what you wish to sell, then look at what prices these go for or sold prices say on google, once you have a price decide if you want to sell a bit lower as you mentioned and add cost to RFD,  i cannot see any of those guns not selling for the price your happy to get, good luck

1 hour ago, dougall said:

if I were you I would do sale or return with a gunshop you know/trust.Auctions are v expensive and mainly used to shift 'tat'..or v top end stuff.Think 25% + vat.....

Great advice as always folks, I like the idea of commission sales cheers OPP but going off the auction idea [dougall :good:]  Trouble is my RFD doesnt have a gunshop really, and is always busy doing his day job. I might put some adds out there over time and see what transpires

cheers IG