Surly this is fake news???

MarcMaxus

I have just come accross this article...

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2019/01/14/tories-issue-licences-to-property-developers-to-kill-protected-robins-starlings-blackbirds-sparrows-bullfinches/

Has anyone else seen this? I hunt everything from pigeon all the way up to deer. Why on earth would anyone want to shoot song birds? Surly this is a load.of old ********? Some folk on the Facebook groups sware it's true??? If there is an ounce of truth in it, it's bloody outrageous.

Anyone got any info?

Its not really shooting them thou.

More destroying nests etc, i'm sur eit happens  but will have to meet wotever requirements or on that special licence.

The article mentions starlings and crop/animal protection, starling s can eat a vast ammount of animal feed and spread disease (must admit i thought were on the GL) as mind as a kid shootng loads of them in farmers sheds with airguns.

I'm sure plenty of nests destroyed for envoronmental health reasons too.

I imagine there is some degree of truth to the story (ie folk applying for a licence to destroy a nest/kill a bird) but its not like folk are going round shootig birds for sport the way the story makes out

11 hours ago, scotslad said:

The article mentions starlings and crop/animal protection, starling s can eat a vast ammount of animal feed and spread disease (must admit i thought were on the GL) as mind as a kid shootng loads of them

They used to be but not anymore.

36 minutes ago, Tom Pride said:

Hi. I'm the author of the blogpost. It's true. The details about Andrew Sells are all true too. Google him.
More details on the mysterious granting of licences here: https://www.birdguides.com/news/licences-granted-to-kill-multiple-red-listed-species

Do u do many stories about the ammount of birds murdered by peoples pet cats??

All ur stories seem to focuseon rich wealthy landowners murdering things for fun/profit

were the rspb not 1 of the orgs that used special licences the most to destroy canda and greylag nests/eggs before they went on the GL? With the rspb's approval

Funny hw it was actually the shooting orgs that objected most to candas/graylags additions to GL

I looked throu some of the links and its exactly wot i thought taking a few liciences and blowing it up and makeing a story to suit, i see many of the licences were granted for Air safety, would u rather palnes crashed?

These licences have been granted for decades for the various specific reasons. Generally for a licence to be granted u have to try other methonds pf prevention 1st.

59 minutes ago, Tom Pride said:

Hi. I'm the author of the blogpost. It's true. The details about Andrew Sells are all true too. Google him.
More details on the mysterious granting of licences here: https://www.birdguides.com/news/licences-granted-to-kill-multiple-red-listed-species

Could you please show evidence as to the granting of a licence re- Robins?

I could see the need to move the nests and things if development work was taking place. Seems the most logical thing to do for the development and the birds. I may be showing a bit of ignorance here, but I've never heard of any other song birds being a pest or major nusiance? I understand the Starlings example, not the other birds mentioned. 

The article does seem very politically focused. 

Edited by MarcMaxus

A few years ago when I used to go to Asda there were loads of sparrows living in the roofspace. I remember reading about a public outcry when other supermarkets killed them, but what are they supposed to do? Leaving them risks contaminating the food and if they are caught they will just come back in again. I haven’t seen any for a while now though so perhaps they found a solution, or perhaps they just kill them when no one is around.

19 minutes ago, Mighty Ruler said:

A few years ago when I used to go to Asda there were loads of sparrows living in the roofspace. I remember reading about a public outcry when other supermarkets killed them, but what are they supposed to do? Leaving them risks contaminating the food and if they are caught they will just come back in again. I haven’t seen any for a while now though so perhaps they found a solution, or perhaps they just kill them when no one is around.

what about making storage area more secure?

It will be the same round hospitals and food factories etc, by rights they should be trying to scare them or bird proof the areas but if the birds are already in the only real solution is these licences. Then should be trying to minimise the problem  reoccuring really shouldn't just be granted a licnce every year without other methods tryind and failing.

The actual number of birds killed or nest destroyed may seem a lot when written down but its not really in the grand scheme, peoples pet cats will be killing millions more red list birds than ever granted under any licence

4 minutes ago, scotslad said:

It will be the same round hospitals and food factories etc, by rights they should be trying to scare them or bird proof the areas but if the birds are already in the only real solution is these licences. Then should be trying to minimise the problem  reoccuring really shouldn't just be granted a licnce every year without other methods tryind and failing.

The actual number of birds killed or nest destroyed may seem a lot when written down but its not really in the grand scheme, peoples pet cats will be killing millions more red list birds than ever granted under any licence

Yeah, best to scare them from coming in in the first place but once they have learnt that there’s unlimited food and shelter I think they’ll never stop them.