chilly1981

Resource guarding

All of a sudden my 15 month old lab literally over night has started to growl when go near his blanket or if he’s laid on his bed  and you get up to quickly or touch him. 

Now daft thing is he like to lay on my feet or my arm or for me to lay in his bed and him lay on me 

he has even growled when he’s laid on one arm and I’ve touched him with other arm 

he knows hes done wrong as soon as soon as he’s done it he panics and puts his ears down and want to lick or lean on us and is then sheepish for a bit

we think it may stem from he was feeling unwell otherday and my Mrs took his blanket off him to wash 

now I’ve been telling him off and taking blanket off him and then giving it back when he’s stopped as per what I’ve read

going to get a trainer to have a look at him and help us fix this 

just looking for advice and if anyone else has had this 

as my Mrs used to be afdraid of dogs and after getting him she loves them but this has set her back massively as she’s now cautious with him and little scared again wich has had her in tears as she adores him

thanks

154DD12E-5A47-4EDB-A4A7-5A8A4CD5A825.jpeg

The more he does it the more you take things of him, he has to learn that your master and can take anything. 

As you give him his food take it back, teach him your boss not him. Done this with all dogs from being a puppy, nothing is theirs if I want it. 

I've found with dogs there is no grey area it's either yes or no. If I tell them no it means no, if they try it on they getting a rollicking. Otherwise they learn to disobey you.

Nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

Hope you get it sorted.

Agree it needs to be nipped in the bud. Given his age it may also be testosterone kicking in. I know a lot disagree with this but all my dogs are castrated at this age as I do not breed from them. You might wish to consider it. Has no effect on there working ability but does stop the silliness.

I had a Terrier that often growled at my youngest, chastisement made it paranoid which in turn made it growl at her even more whenever she went near it. patience worked better than chastisement and I think i made the situation worse.. my advice for what its worth is to go carefully, 

Edited by islandgun

Thanks for the replies 

I’m generally with you there figgy I’ve always been a discipline man he won’t touch food or any floor scraps till he’s told it’s ok he’s not allowed up stairs and knows this even at my mums where other dogs will go up he won’t follow  

as say been taking it off him then returning on my terms not his 

but as island gun has just said I’ve read a lot that it can also have a counter effect when it’s resource guarding as they call it. 

Dave he was in vets for his boosters yesterday and chatted to him and he also said could be this  but with what we told him he also ain’t sure and said don’t really want to castrate him if there’s no need to as this may not fix the problem and could cause others 

( I’m sure I’d be a bigger ****** if some one whipped my man hood off 😂)

say going to organize a session with a trainer and behavior bloke see if he picks up on something I’ve missed

Little sod is good as gold and one of the friendliest dogs I’ve known so much that people comment on it  just need this sorting as it’s not like him at all and now my Mrs is scared of dogs again 

My pup started doing it with food, he was worse with my gf and didn’t respond to being sternly told off when’ doing it. 

We looked it up and it mostly stayed the dog was nervous when you go near thinking your going to take what he has off him, eh his bone or food. 

Instead of taking things off him, we then started giving him what he wanted and loads of praise so he associated us being there as a positive not a negative. 

When it was meal times instead of putting his bowl down we would hold it in our hands and whilst he ate it give him lots of praise and stroking. 

If he had a bone in his bed, when we went up we’d give him a treat or biscuit. 

He soon learned us coming over meant he gets rewarded and stopped any growling very quickly :) 

I'd go with wot llyod said above.

Also feed 1/2 potions in his bowl so when u go over ur toping his bowl up NOT taking it away.

While taking feed/things away may work with some dogs, but it could make other dogs worse as ur doing exactly wot they were worried about (taking their things/food) so may want to gaurd it more

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My pup started doing it with food, he was worse with my gf and didn’t respond to being sternly told off when’ doing it. 

We looked it up and it mostly stayed the dog was nervous when you go near thinking your going to take what he has off him, eh his bone or food. 

Instead of taking things off him, we then started giving him what he wanted and loads of praise so he associated us being there as a positive not a negative. 

When it was meal times instead of putting his bowl down we would hold it in our hands and whilst he ate it give him lots of praise and stroking. 

If he had a bone in his bed, when we went up we’d give him a treat or biscuit. 

He soon learned us coming over meant he gets rewarded and stopped any growling very quickly :) 

👍👍

Thanks for replies 

Lloyd yeah read the same and we did that with his blanket yesterday. 

But sent the trainer a vid of him last night and he’s said for now just take anything off  him that he guards and he’s coming this afternoon to have a look at him and see what best  course of action is for him 

crazy as one second he’s the most loving dog the next he’s a growling mainiac and the next he’s all sheepish and sorry 🙈😂

This is something to get on top of quickly.

My normal action is to growl louder than the dog and remove the guarded object immediately.

Thanks j dog 

yeah he’s littralky got the door mat left now I’ve took all his stuff off him and is under no illusions me me and the Mrs are higher up te pecking order after he growls

trainer/behavior bloke is coming to see him this arvo at some point if he can squeeze us in 

23 hours ago, islandgun said:

I had a Terrier that often growled at my youngest, chastisement made it paranoid which in turn made it growl at her even more whenever she went near it. patience worked better than chastisement and I think i made the situation worse.. my advice for what its worth is to go carefully, 

My un-castrated cocker at 2 years growled at me from the back of his cage. I called him out and put him outside for an hour at night. Did this a couple of times and he has not done it since. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

My un-castrated cocker at 2 years growled at me from the back of his cage. I called him out and put him outside for an hour at night. Did this a couple of times and he has not done it since. 

this terrier just seemed to blame my daughter for getting into trouble, if she petted it, it just went stiff, shame really as she would have loved to have spent more time with it, It was definitely my fault  

Well had him with trainer this arvo and thinks it’s his  testosterone kicking in and him getting a bit to big for his boots  and a combination of his crate been taken away before Xmas and few other things combined with having his blanket taken off him to be washed when he was ill. 

Said carry one as were letting him know whos boss but to put out his crate back up so when  he is feeling bad he’s got some where he knows that’s out the way he can go to. 

And some more Discipline on walks with him as he pick up a couple things that showed he was pushing his boundaries  

main thing is it’s made the Mrs bit more happy and confidant that he’s not turned into the devil. 

As showed the vids of him doing it and how he was after to trainer and said you could see it was almost like he didn’t want to growl by how his eyes were  and how he behaved after the fact 

again thanks for your input gents