28 in a 20 bore

snow white

Hi lads i had a lucky escape today was using 28 bore on first two drives but the birds where to high so i thought would swap to 20 bore had some nice birds as i reloaded i saw a red thing drop in barrel straight away i realized that i must have had 28 in my pocket and i had loaded it thank fully i had seen the red.

I can't imagine how my hand would have looked tonight.

So lads if you are using two caliber guns when out shooting please check your pockets i had a lucky escape.

It must happen more often that people think.

I do wonder however that say you dropped a 20 into a 12 or 28 into a 20, after closing the gun would you not notice that one barrel does not fire and have a look before blindly sticking another 2 cartridges in and blowing it up? 

There’s an interesting video on you tube where a 20 bore shell was loaded into a 12 bore on purpose just to see what happened. The 12 bore fired the 20 bore shell straight out of the barrel with no damage what so ever . They were so surprised they tried it twice more ,again with out any damage to the gun . Incidentally none of the 20 bore shells were recovered .

harnser

Hi snow white

Regarding your original thread " quote lads if your usng two calibre guns unquote"

You should remember that our better looking sex also shoot "Ladies"

I sometimes change calibre on a shoot but i have the appropriate gear ie 12g gun 12g cartridge belt with 12g in cartridge bag

And the same for 20g and for 16g

I have heard of such mishaps but surely if you're fully aware of your equipment and surroundings one should be fully aware of what one is doing  being a responsible sgc or fac then one should be fully aware of the fact No excuses allowed

I have never heard of anyone loading a 223 into a 243 rifle  or a .17hmr into a .22lr or vise versa  or perhaps no one has admitted the fact

Plus most calibre sizes are colour coded are they not ( perhaps not all brands )

6 hours ago, sabel25 said:

Hi snow white

Regarding your original thread " quote lads if your usng two calibre guns unquote"

You should remember that our better looking sex also shoot "Ladies"

I sometimes change calibre on a shoot but i have the appropriate gear ie 12g gun 12g cartridge belt with 12g in cartridge bag

And the same for 20g and for 16g

I have heard of such mishaps but surely if you're fully aware of your equipment and surroundings one should be fully aware of what one is doing  being a responsible sgc or fac then one should be fully aware of the fact No excuses allowed

I have never heard of anyone loading a 223 into a 243 rifle  or a .17hmr into a .22lr or vise versa  or perhaps no one has admitted the fact

Plus most calibre sizes are colour coded are they not ( perhaps not all brands )

Like I said, it’s not for me. I’m not geared up for anything but 12; each to their own.

It really is amazing how dangerous some people are !

It is possible to accidentally load a cartridge designed for a bore two sizes smaller than the one you are using .

I.E. 20 will fit into a 12 bore and allow a 12 bore cartridge to be loaded on top and the gun will close and fire, probably with catastophic results !

28 bore will fit in 20 bore , 24 bore will fit in a 16 bore , 12 bore will fit in an 8 bore .

BE CAREFUL CHECK FOR CLEAR BARRELS BEFORE LOADING AND NEVER MIX CARTRIDGES IN BAGS OR POCKETS.

Hi Sabel and Salopian.

Not going to get in a argument with you i now it should not have happened but it did the 28 must have been in the corner of my jacket as my wife is with me and if i change guns she all ways have you checked your pockets i all ways put half a dozen in pocket the rest in one of two loaders i have one 28 and one 20.

I have been shoot for 55 years and this is the first time this as happend used to us 12 and 20 over that period.

Just make sure whats in your pockets.

Snow White ,

We definately do not need to get into arguing over a safety issue .

It really is amazing how many of us have had a different size cartridge snuggle down into a dark corner of a shooting jacket , especially those jackets with a pleated pocket that expands so you can get more into them.

My very worst horror story is of a Gentleman I met in America who asked did I reload ? On me confirming I did , he said 'wait a while ' and he hurried off .

He returned and showed me a piece of blown up barrel he kept in his glove box of his car .

" I keep this to show what can happen if you double load a powder or block a barrel , this is what it can do ." He then rolled up his left sleeve to show me a scar  6" long from his wrist to his elbow plus he was minus a thumb and two fingers .

" I was lucky, we had a surgeon at the club who stemmed the blood loss with a towel and later operated on me ". He said.

I normaly just use a 12g on driven days

It's just the odd occasion i take another gauge to try out both gun and cartridges usually the last drive or two

I still remeber when i was a youngster we used to visit my grandparents in a small town and i used to go round to the Shooting / fishing tackle shop to look round and buy some pellets or something

On this one occasion i went and here was an sxs displayed in the window with both barrels bent round backwards and split Obviously the barrels had been blocked with soil or something when fired, but  I never knew what happened to the user  At the time i used to shoot my farthers 12g  SXS hammer gun

That thought still remains with me now some 40 odd years later

15 hours ago, snow white said:

Hi lads i had a lucky escape today w as i reloaded i saw a red thing drop in barrel straight away i realized that i must have had 28 in my pocket and i had loaded it thank fully i had seen the red

This is one good reason and example for minding the colors of your cartridges. All 20’s should be yellow with no exceptions. If you use multiple gauge guns ever (not just on the same day) then ensure that your colors don’t overlap. It is a simple thing that you can do as an added layer of protection. If you are observant you can catch things like this.

thanks

rick

Westley , I believe that is correct .

When I say a variation of two different gauges , I did not mean to include what may now be termed obsolete gauges . So don't include 14 bore , 24 bore etc in your calculations .

IE 20 into 12 is dangerous  , 12 into 8 is dangerous etc.,

But best safety of all is,       DON'T MIX CARTRIDGES.

I use 

On 16 January 2019 at 12:36, JDog said:

Snow White, you were fortunate. It’s easily done. Only yesterday I found myself about to insert a Vicks Nasal Stick in my chamber whilst out shooting pigeons.

Could have cleared more than the nasal passages JDog !!

OB

I shoot 20 bore and 16 bore and have separate cartridge bags for each, colour coded on the straps with tape, i.e yellow for 20g and blue for 16g. I also have separate bags for non toxic shot for my duck shooting similarly colour coded but clearly marked 'non toxic'.  However, I once grabbed the wrong 16g bag (non toxic) for pigeon shooting and found myself using Bismuth (about £1 a throw) on the pigeons. It did improve my kills to cartridge ratio, or perhaps made me more selective on easier shots. Never made that mistake again :no:.

OB

On 16/01/2019 at 12:23, sabel25 said:

I normaly just use a 12g on driven days

It's just the odd occasion i take another gauge to try out both gun and cartridges usually the last drive or two

I still remeber when i was a youngster we used to visit my grandparents in a small town and i used to go round to the Shooting / fishing tackle shop to look round and buy some pellets or something

On this one occasion i went and here was an sxs displayed in the window with both barrels bent round backwards and split Obviously the barrels had been blocked with soil or something when fired, but  I never knew what happened to the user  At the time i used to shoot my farthers 12g  SXS hammer gun

That thought still remains with me now some 40 odd years later

I always remember Henry Monks in Chester had a similar display in the window, a sxs with a split barrel.

On 16/01/2019 at 00:54, Harnser said:

There’s an interesting video on you tube where a 20 bore shell was loaded into a 12 bore on purpose just to see what happened. The 12 bore fired the 20 bore shell straight out of the barrel with no damage what so ever . They were so surprised they tried it twice more ,again with out any damage to the gun . Incidentally none of the 20 bore shells were recovered .

harnser

I did this exact thing with an old pump action that was given to my RFD for destruction, We loaded a 20 bore cartridge in and then put a 3" magnum load in behind it. Closed the bolt and fired it using a workmate and a long length of string. All it did was push the 20 bore shell out the end of the barrel at fairly high speed.

I still wouldn't recomend anyone trying it and to always check when they load. I have a habit of looking through the barrels after every shot and blowing smoke out if I cannot see through. I had a stuck wad many years ago that left a ring bulge in a barrel