28 in a 20 bore

snow white

If we do need a new law regarding shotguns then one that should be invoked is the original understood colour code.  Red 12  Blue 16  orange/brown 28 and  brown 410.

I believe it could be upgraded to make the 410s green as the two colours for 28/410 are too similar.   

Now having said that then all of the suggestions above I agree with.  UNLESS as sometimes but rarely happens one gun breaks down and another has to be used and sometimes on a different gauge is available.  Then bags and pockets should be cleared out.

Just now, Walker570 said:

and on a cold day introduces water vapour into the workings.  Better to just watch what your dropping in.

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to the blowing down my barrels bit,  although I’m pretty sure the next cartridges fired would take care of any moisture in the barrels. 😉

...... but not in the workings.  That's something from the days of Tom Mix and Roy Rogers.

Almost like seeing a gun mount and remount his shotgun when he/she reaches their peg.  A bit too late to see if it fits or the fancy coloured front sight is still there.

Edited by Walker570

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

...... but not in the workings.  That's something from the days of Tom Mix and Roy Rogers.

Almost like seeing a gun mount and remount his shotgun when he/she reaches their peg.  A bit too late to see if it fits or the fancy coloured front sight is still there.

I tend not to worry too much about the ' workings' ; following such weather WD takes care of it. It has done for all the years I've been shooting. 🙂

I have no idea why some blow down their barrels before leaving a stand or peg;  it's not something I've seen anyone do between reloads. 

18 hours ago, Scully said:

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to the blowing down my barrels bit,  although I’m pretty sure the next cartridges fired would take care of any moisture in the barrels. 😉

And if the peg was that 'HOT' then so would the barrels be and would take care of any moisture

17 hours ago, Scully said:

I tend not to worry too much about the ' workings' ; following such weather WD takes care of it. It has done for all the years I've been shooting. 🙂

I have no idea why some blow down their barrels before leaving a stand or peg;  it's not something I've seen anyone do between reloads. 

I only do it if I cannot see through the barrel, I don't bother any other time. And it is only a safety thing, not a Roy Rogers thing🙄

18 hours ago, Walker570 said:

When I reach my peg on the first drive of the day I do dry mount once or twice. This is not to test whether my gun fits, because I know it does, but it is just to test whether I have tucked my shirt too far into my underpants.

1 hour ago, Diss4111 said:

And if the peg was that 'HOT' then so would the barrels be and would take care of any moisture

I only do it if I cannot see through the barrel, I don't bother any other time. And it is only a safety thing, not a Roy Rogers thing🙄

Like I said, there isn’t time to either blow down your barrels nor check if you’re on a hot peg, it’s simply a case of letting the empties eject and stuffing in another two. 

I didn’t make any comment regarding Roy Rodgers, Pistol Pete or anyone else. 

Just now, Scully said:

Like I said, there isn’t time to either blow down your barrels nor check if you’re on a hot peg, it’s simply a case of letting the empties eject and stuffing in another two. 

I didn’t make any comment regarding Roy Rodgers, Pistol Pete or anyone else. 

Apologies Scully, I meant to quote Walker 570 on the roy rodgers thing

52 minutes ago, JDog said:

When I reach my peg on the first drive of the day I do dry mount once or twice. This is not to test whether my gun fits, because I know it does, but it is just to test whether I have tucked my shirt too far into my underpants.

😂 👍I too have a couple of practise mounts but only on the first peg, and this is to ensure my gun isn’t snagging in my shoulder. After that it’s all systems go! 👍

2 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Apologies Scully, I meant to quote Walker 570 on the roy rodgers thing

None necessary, it’s not a problem. I know why some do it now, having mentioned it to a mate just last night, who told me he did it so there weren’t hot gases circulating in his slip ( we usually slip our guns before moving into the next stand or peg ) causing condensation. Each to their own. 👍