best place for new firing pins

eddoakley

Can anyone recommend someone to make a new firing pin or two.

Have a snapped pin in a Rizzini and can't find one to match. The usual suspects for replacements aren't able to help and suggest having one made, my usual choice is not able to do it for several weeks so hoping someone can suggest somewhere reliable with a quick turnaround.

TIA

Edd

4 minutes ago, Woodbepigeonshooter said:

Have u tried Abacus Clay sports. I seem to remember that I got a screw from them for Rizzini in the past

I've had a look but can only see a set that doesn't match. The gun in question is an M Rizzini and has different pins to any of the others that I have or can see online.

Edd

30 minutes ago, figgy said:

Edd buy a small Chinese lathe and some short rods of silver steel and knock them up yourself in minutes. 

I have the use of a lathe (full workshop should I need) but have neither the time nor the inclination to make something so fiddly. I'm sure that it's something that isn't that complicated to do but I would much rather leave it to someone with more experience and confidence and make sure it's correct.

Edd

17 hours ago, figgy said:

Edd buy a small Chinese lathe and some short rods of silver steel and knock them up yourself in minutes. 

I think the part that needs practice, skill, knowledge is the hardening; too soft and the head will 'mushroom', too hard and they are brittle.  The turning and shaping is the easy part.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think the part that needs practice, skill, knowledge is the hardening; too soft and the head will 'mushroom', too hard and they are brittle.  The turning and shaping is the easy part.

I have made hundreds of strikers out of silver steel . Never hardened them as the steel in its normal state will be fine . Never had any problem or complaint.

At a pinch a high tensile allan screw will suffice but they are a bit hard to turn .

Edited by Gunman

Just now, Gunman said:

I have made hundreds of strikers out of silver steel . Never hardened them as the steel in its normal state will be fine . Never had any problem or complaint.

That's interesting.  I have had new strikers (left and right done together) to a couple of sidelock s/s guns.  The first was a William Powell, which had both replaced by Powells (when they were back at Carrs Lane).  One had cracked, the other had the back badly mushroomed.  I don't know what steel they were made from as I didn't have the work done, but the new ones were done by Powells are are still fine 30 odd years on.  I was told at the time (if I remember right that the mushroomed one had probably not been hardened (correctly).

The other pair were on an AyA No 1.  Again one was cracked and the other was done as a precaution.  I was told they would be turned up, hardened, then tempered down to the right hardness.  Again, I cannot comment on the base material as it was done by a gun smith for me.

I can carry this work out for you. What turn around time do you need? Bang it in the post ill try and get one back to you the next day. PM me if needed.

( send both parts of the broken on to me )

One from a few weeks back.  PM me if needed - All kinds of gunsmithing work carried out.

I always try and offer best prices consistent with quality workmanship.

https://www.instagram.com/woodworking_gunsmith/?hl=en

firing pin.png

Edited by demonwolf444