Motion to Ban Lead Shot

4 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

So the statistics that 70% of ducks shot that went to game dealers were shot with lead means nothing? Wildfowlers rarely if ever send their birds to dealers. If they do then they aren't proper fowlers in my book.

Inform the media? Are you completely stupid? That would be like driving to the police station after a skinful of beer. As far as I am concerned if people want to break the law then its up to them. When lead is banned, and yes it will happen it won't make any difference to me. All my guns are steel proofed and I can use whatever I like. All the shooters whio have been flouting the law because they are too tight to buy bismuth yet won't use steel through their pair of Hollands will be crying about their old english guns.

Of course the police will react to a motoring offence, the motorist is, and always will be easy prey for the old bill. Now a game shoot where the rich and famous go they aren't even going to enter the gate.

Can I ask where you got the info' regarding the percentages of lead shot ducks? Assuming it's an independent source of course, relevant to England, and not one the LAG put together....we all know how independent that was! 

So now you're indifferent (  'if people want to break the law then it's up to them' ) to people shooting ducks with lead, despite the claim above and despite your own experience? If it's not in your best interest to report it to the authorities, as it plainly isn't by your comment 'that would be like driving to the police station after a skinful of beer', then I'm baffled as to why you thought it worthy to mention on here. 

I'd like to think I wasn't completely stupid, but I'd like to think I wasn't irrational either.

Banning lead won't make a great deal of difference to me either; I'd prefer to keep it but I shoot steel through my none steel proofed guns now and then and have done for years. I'll just use steel, simple. I don't care if anyone has an agenda ( most people have....though yours has me puzzled ) as long as that agenda is conducted with honesty; the LAG inquiry was anything but. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Of course, they were all imported from shoots abroad who only ***** birds, no one in this country would ever do anything wrong. Game dealers aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them?

No, it's up to you to ensure your guns are capable to use whatever ammunition you are required to.

The poor ducks don't know what they are being shot with. it's the people who ignore the law who will be the eventual death of lead. The english law is stupid. The scottish way should be adopted here. At present I can't shoot a duck with lead but on the same peg I can shoot a pheasant. The shot ends up in the same place regardless of quarry. 

Perhaps  these duck in question??? were aquired from Scotland shoots

Where you can shoot wildfowl over land but not over shore  estuaries lead shot that is

Edited by sabel25

Do we know the actual number of duck that are sold to Game dealers from English and Welsh sources, and how many of these contained ONLY lead shot?

I suspect the number is fairly low and statistically suspect.

Anyway we are now arguing amongst ourselves.

Does anyone live in any of the sponsoring MPs  constituencies, perhaps they would like to engage with them?

From Wikipedia

Rodger Godsiff MP

"Godsiff also attracted attention in the 2009 parliamentary expenses scandal, where he was reported as using office expenses for extensive roofing work, rewiring, replacement guttering and even clock repair at a property he owns.[11] He incurred the second highest expenses of all 647 MPs' for 2008/2009 with claims for £189,338"

Dr Lisa Cameron MP

"On 5 January 2016, the Scottish Daily Mail published a story which accused Cameron of "hypocrisy" as she owned five ex-council houses which were managed by her husband Mark Horsham, despite campaigning against the sale of council houses at the 2015 general election."

In this case surely she should see as a Scots Nat. this is a patent example of the West Lothian Question, Scotland already having different laws.

The other Wiki entries are written by the MPs or supporters .

42 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Of course, they were all imported from shoots abroad who only ***** birds, no one in this country would ever do anything wrong. Game dealers aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them?

No, it's up to you to ensure your guns are capable to use whatever ammunition you are required to.

The poor ducks don't know what they are being shot with. it's the people who ignore the law who will be the eventual death of lead. The english law is stupid. The scottish way should be adopted here. At present I can't shoot a duck with lead but on the same peg I can shoot a pheasant. The shot ends up in the same place regardless of quarry. 

also witnesses who don't report what they have seen?

Edited by andrewluke

3 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

also witnesses who don't report what they have seen?

Of course, I knew it all along it would be my fault.

How dare anyone accuse the stuffed tweed brigade of any wrong doing. It must be lovely to be on the moral high ground all the time.

6 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

How dare anyone accuse the stuffed tweed brigade of any wrong doing. It must be lovely to be on the moral high ground all the time.

Are you actually a sleeper for Class War or whatever they have morphed into?

As i said previously, who to? 

Perhaps the Shoot captain/Keeper then the Police Wildlife Officer.

2 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Are you actually a sleeper for Class War or whatever they have morphed into?

Perhaps the Shoot captain/Keeper then the Police Wildlife Officer.

the keeper who told us not to worry was certainly made aware that none of us would be shooting ducks with lead. Sleeper for class war? Not with you. I merely mentioned that if the lead shot ban wasn't adhered to then it would be the death of lead full stop and that I had been on game shoots where lead is not required. You lot jumped down my throat with every excuse under the sun.

1 minute ago, Diss4111 said:

the keeper who told us not to worry was certainly made aware that none of us would be shooting ducks with lead. Sleeper for class war? Not with you. I merely mentioned that if the lead shot ban wasn't adhered to then it would be the death of lead full stop and that I had been on game shoots where lead is not required. You lot jumped down my throat with every excuse under the sun.

you've only been told to report what you saw,what's the problem with that?

3 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

I only meant to jump down your throat over the I'm all right Jack comment about all your guns being proofed for steel sorry if you took my suspicion over the number of ducks found with lead as a personal attack.

12 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I only meant to jump down your throat over the I'm all right Jack comment about all your guns being proofed for steel sorry if you took my suspicion over the number of ducks found with lead as a personal attack.

Not at all, I am only trying to make the point that lead will be finished if the ban is not adhered to. It wouldn't bother me and yes I am alright Jack, however I would not want to see lead banned. I reload and make my own shot so it would mean having to buy more steel shot than I do.

17 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

you've only been told to report what you saw,what's the problem with that?

Nothing, but as I said do you report everyone who speeds past you? If someone wants to break the speed limit and gets caught is that my issue? Should I have phoned the police with his registration? 

The police would not be interested in ducks being shot with lead, i would doubt very much if I could find one who knew what I was talking about. Let alone one prepared to do anything about it.

22 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Ah, I see, now we're getting somewhere; it's a class thing!  I'm a game shooter, as are most of my mates. Some of us wear tweed now and then but I can assure you we're all working class. I'm sat here now in my paint covered work clothes, not a pair of breeks in sight, stuffed or otherwise. 

I doubt very much it's your fault, but the thing is, it was YOU who brought up the subject of game shooters not adhering to the laws regarding lead shot and fowl. They may well not, but despite making the accusation you appear not to want to do anything about it. You have been asked politely what you have done about it, and to verify the claims you have made, but have managed neither. By your own admission you haven't even tried to do anything about it. 

Not at all, I am only trying to make the point that lead will be finished if the ban is not adhered to. It wouldn't bother me and yes I am alright Jack, however I would not want to see lead banned. I reload and make my own shot so it would mean having to buy more steel shot than I do.

Nothing, but as I said do you report everyone who speeds past you? If someone wants to break the speed limit and gets caught is that my issue? Should I have phoned the police with his registration? 

The police would not be interested in ducks being shot with lead, i would doubt very much if I could find one who knew what I was talking about. Let alone one prepared to do anything about it.

if someone is caught speeding then not every motorist is going to be banned !

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Ah, I see, now we're getting somewhere; it's a class thing!  I'm a game shooter, as are most of my mates. Some of us wear tweed now and then but I can assure you we're all working class. I'm sat here now in my paint covered work clothes, not a pair of breeks in sight, stuffed or otherwise. 

I doubt very much it's your fault, but the thing is, it was YOU who brought up the subject of game shooters not adhering to the laws regarding lead shot and fowl. They may well not, but despite making the accusation you appear not to want to do anything about it. You have been asked politely what you have done about it, and to verify the claims you have made, but have managed neither. By your own admission you haven't even tried to do anything about it. 

You obviously have trouble reading and just want to pick a fight. I have said time and time again that we made our feeling clear to the keeper of the shoot we went on that we would not be shooting ducks with lead. and also that the police would not be interested.

It is not a class thing, although i get no pleasure from shooting game anymore. It is a adhering to the law thing.

Just now, andrewluke said:

if someone is caught speeding then not every motorist is going to be banned !

But that one speeding motorist could kill someone, which is worse than lead being banned. But it's OK, why should you do anything about it? I'm at fault for not running to the police about ducks being shot with lead yet you are prepared to ignore a speeding motorist 

Edited by Diss4111

9 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

You obviously have trouble reading and just want to pick a fight. I have said time and time again that we made our feeling clear to the keeper of the shoot we went on that we would not be shooting ducks with lead. and also that the police would not be interested.

It is not a class thing, although i get no pleasure from shooting game anymore. It is a adhering to the law thing.

But that one speeding motorist could kill someone, which is worse than lead being banned. But it's OK, why should you do anything about it? I'm at fault for not running to the police about ducks being shot with lead yet you are prepared to ignore a speeding motorist 

why the **** did you start moaning about ducks being shot with lead???

7 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

No, no problem with reading. YOU are the one making the claims, not me; you are the one who is reluctant to verify the claims you have made.

You don't know whether the police would be interested or not as you haven't told them. If you're so bothered about people shooting ducks with lead, and game shooters in particular, to the extent you mentioned it on a forum, then why haven't you done so?

After all, like you said, if it continues there will eventually be a complete ban, and neither of us wants that, apparently. 

1 hour ago, Diss4111 said:

Would you like some salt and vinegar for that extra large chip on your shoulder?

you seem to be very "them and us" on this subject and IMO are not coming across at all well.

mike