Motion to Ban Lead Shot

5 minutes ago, motty said:

No, you can more than likely pick up a decent 3" for less than £200. I don't really care what BASC have to say on the matter of steel shot.

No doubt there are many out there for whom £200 is a few quid and particularly the youngsters who may well also not have the experience on which to base a decision and rely upon advice and guidance possibly from this forum. I for one would not feel comfortable in offering an opinion that it is perfectly safe to use HP steel shot in a non proven gun however slight the risk may be perceived and particularly when one has no control over the calibre of the individual taking that advice. We won't go near the chances of a novice putting a "standard" steel cartridge  - which because of one particular aspect is actually HP - in a 2&3/4" chambered gun. It's worth noting that the bullet point mentioned has nothing to do with steel shot or BASC per se, but the possibility of being financially out of pocket should there be anything untoward occur.Again, I for one would not buy anything with bulges however slight at the muzzles when there are countless other offerings which are not so detrimentally affected in financial terms. The fact that for my purposes and in view of my age I have no intention of using any thing else than lead - unless something, however unlikely, changes before I decide to call it a day Is totally beside the point.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To ban lead would be quite hard at first. Plenty would stockpile and still use on private shoots and farms. Then people would still make their own shot and load up carts. 

On the other hand steel carts would get a lot better. High bird affionados could use HW18 or TSS to shoot 120 yard pheasants with a 20 bore using size 8 or 9 shot.

Bismuth shot prices would rise even more, older guns would become wall hangers.

14 minutes ago, wymberley said:

No doubt there are many out there for whom £200 is a few quid and particularly the youngsters who may well also not have the experience on which to base a decision and rely upon advice and guidance possibly from this forum. I for one would not feel comfortable in offering an opinion that it is perfectly safe to use HP steel shot in a non proven gun however slight the risk may be perceived and particularly when one has no control over the calibre of the individual taking that advice. We won't go near the chances of a novice putting a "standard" steel cartridge  - which because of one particular aspect is actually HP - in a 2&3/4" chambered gun. It's worth noting that the bullet point mentioned has nothing to do with steel shot or BASC per se, but the possibility of being financially out of pocket should there be anything untoward occur.Again, I for one would not buy anything with bulges however slight at the muzzles when there are countless other offerings which are not so detrimentally affected in financial terms. The fact that for my purposes and in view of my age I have no intention of using any thing else than lead - unless something, however unlikely, changes before I decide to call it a day Is totally beside the point.

That's the point I was making, to advocate using HP steel cartridges in a non HP proofed gun is irresponsible....we all know some non HP proofed guns may handle HP steel......but there are many guns out there that it would be very dangerous to fire HP steel cartridges through!

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

To ban lead would be quite hard at first. Plenty would stockpile and still use on private shoots and farms. Then people would still make their own shot and load up carts. 

On the other hand steel carts would get a lot better. High bird affionados could use HW18 or TSS to shoot 120 yard pheasants with a 20 bore using size 8 or 9 shot.

"Older guns would become wall hangers"

Well, if it's good enough for Turner and Constable , what's wrong with Purdey and Boss? :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

That's the point I was making, to advocate using HP steel cartridges in a non HP proofed gun is irresponsible....we all know some non HP proofed guns may handle HP steel......but there are many guns out there that it would be very dangerous to fire HP steel cartridges through!

Of course, it is down to the individual to decide what is safe for them. Steel proofing is just a test that most relatively modern guns would pass. I use three 10 bores, none of which are steel proofed. Am I taking a big risk?

5 minutes ago, motty said:

Of course, it is down to the individual to decide what is safe for them. Steel proofing is just a test that most relatively modern guns would pass. I use three 10 bores, none of which are steel proofed. Am I taking a big risk?

it is not so much the experienced taking the risk, it's the novice and inexperienced following such advice that are at risk!

On 18/01/2019 at 20:40, figgy said:

Too true figgy

I seem to remember a few years back where they got fox hunting bannned   ? ( is it ) and that was meant to be the start of the finnish for all gaming sport

But it's ok to go round with knives & machetes butchering other human life Do'nt see the anti's raising their issues with this disgracefull behaviour

Just this week it has been anowsted that we now have to stop eating meat to save the planet

Just more infidile minor upstarts that is trying to make a name for themselves in the political arena and cannot address the real issues in society

And i bet they eat meat and game albeit wrapped up in a nice polythene wrapper bought at Tesco ( who do'nt use British  sources )

Sorry for the rant

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

Then get all your pals in her constituency , regardless of their normal politics, to vote against her!

We do....there's no one I know who votes for her she's a nightmare.....ruined the traffic flows and parking in the City for the 'Greener City' but it will be the final nail in the high street for shops closing down etc let alone things like banning lead.....Being in Brighton there's a load of tree hugging vegan types that vote for her. 😧

This may be of some relevence to some of the preceding discussion. The next inspection and series of measurements with be carried out before the end of February with a garuanteed consumption of 250 various Eley steel cartridges. To date the gun shows no visual sign of any imparement and the test is scheduled to be ongoing for the next five years.

Interesting video; I look forward to the findings, which given what date it is, shouldn't be too far off.

I have used steel shot ( including HP steel ) through non steel shot proofed guns for years, the barrels are as clean and shiny as ever.

It is worth mentioning that even a gun barrel proofed for steel will be damaged if that shot comes into contact with it before the cup leaves the muzzle; the video research is more concerned with pressure and it's effects on those barrels.