Beaters/rough day

Ferret664

Well today was my rough beaters day . As I am the keeper on this small shoot I walk all day and work my 3 jack russels and act as a walking gun .

First drive of the day I and a couple of beaters pushed a small spinney into a pond that is surrounded by tall conifers which usually hold a few wild duck but as the front guns were getting round the duck got off and escaped unscathed! But this drive normally holds a.few pheasants as well . So I walked down and actually ending up stand on peg 1 as the beaters pushed through the conifers . And several pheasants were flushed mostly hen but a few cocks provided some shooting for the standing guns . I had several hens pass by then a cock bird went over my neighbouring gun too low for him but started to climb once past him . I swung round and at around 40-50 yards hit him square and he folded . That was it for me for the first drive one for one so pleased with that . And the standing guns had 2 more to show for the shooting. 

Our second drive  we blanked a bit of maize into a wood . The wind was starting to pick up now as we pushed the maize down into the wood 8 hens went into the maize but 2 cocks snuck out low and wide typical !!! So we lined out along the wood and pushed it down into the left had corner.  As soon as the drive started I heard a few shots from the front guns and as I was bringing down the left had side ditch of the wood I heard cock bird and just turned to see a towering cock pheasant rocketing over me ! I just managed to lean back and got a shot of which abosultey folded him in the air ! Carried on pushing the wood and a good few birds were pushed over the guns and a couple more cock birds were added . Just as we were about to finish the drive a jay tried to sneak past me but was unsuccessful falling to my first shot. 

Next drive a long walk bringing in hedges into a long cover crop . Here we pushed a long grass cover one side and a maize the other. This drive normally holds a lot of partridge but was quiet today.  Anyway a few pheasants mostly hens showed and really climbed in the wind but a few cock pheasants also showed and my dad took a cracker of a crosser must have been a good 50 plus yards . Just as we were about to finish this drive a cock bird flushed from the ditch behind the last beater and began to go back I was on the other hedge and as he got a good 50 yards thought I will take him and to my amazement he crumbled dead to my first barrel ! What a start to the day 4 shots 4 birds !  

Next couple of drives were quiet for me. pushed a wood that had a good few cock birds in but these birds were elusive and mostly snuck through the line unscathed think only 3 were added here . Then another cover crop along the river was done and again I didn't fire a shot but there was a bit of shooting on this drive and boy were those pheasants motoring !!best part of this drive was seeing my sister take a cock bird that after a 10 minute search for was account for.

Next  we pushed a cover crop with a pond hole along it where most of the birds from that last drive flew into so hopes were high here . Just as we were about to start though around 30 partridge snuck out the side!! we pushed on with a few pheasant going over the line but with only 4 standers on this drive as we had 2 walking guns on the flanks cause of the wind the managed to escape . One partridge came rocketing my was I swung through and hit it with my first and to my amazement it carried on swung and fired again and hit again but still it carried on I called back to my sister who was a walking gun back behind me and she finished it off neatly with her second barrel!! This was  her first ever partridge and made the day for me .

last drive was quiet a few birds in but they kept low or escaped out the side and I managed to miss a pigeon and two shots at a duck !! but a enjoyable day ending with 20 pheasant 1 partridge and a Jay.  A few of us stayed for a bit of roosting and was rewarded with some challenging birds in the wind . I was pleased to end with 15 pigeons for 20 shots on the roost 

Edited by Ferret664