Speeding enforcement

panoma1

Travelling up the M6 in the early hours, the majority (mile after mile) of my journey was under motorway speed restrictions of 50/60 mph enforced by average speed cameras, there was small amount of rain about, the gritters had been out, and there was some spray off lorries! I was sticking religiously to the 50/60 mph restrictions, as I was in no hurry! However I was struck by the number of HGV's that overtook me, obviously breaking the speed restrictions!

How do these truck drivers stay on the road, surely if they were speeding today, they will be speeding regularly! But obviously they are still driving....my question is.......do the police ignore truck drivers speeding and only prosecute car drivers?

1. Not enough traffic police on the roads to deter them and catch them.

2. The average speed cameras are turned off.

We regularly travel through the massive A14/A1 improvements that have either 40 or 50 MPH limits with average cameras along the route. We sit at the speed limit and watch others flying past.

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

My polish mate went back home for Christmas and had a speeding ticket ready on the door mat for his arrival. They've caught him, processed it, filed through another country and delivered it all within 2 weeks over Christmas holidays. I'd say they are now quite efficient

blimey that's good , I will get them to do my shotgun ticket next year then , and don't forget the caravan gang they have overtook many a time,

2 minutes ago, kenholland said:

blimey that's good , I will get them to do my shotgun ticket next year then , and don't forget the caravan gang they have overtook many a time,

Mind you I've messed that up a bit. He was caught in Poland on arrival, and the fine was sent to his house in dorset. So kinda the wrong away around for this thread. 

Still very impressive and all for £25! 

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

I suspect a lot of the trucks, and I see it on the North Wales Expressway, are foreign registered and are probably not pursued as rigorously as they might be.

David.

It was both foreign and domestic trucks passing me, which implies either they weren't restricted for some reason and they had a method of thwarting tachograph readings.....doesn't it? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

It was both foreign and domestic trucks passing me, which implies either they weren't restricted for some reason and they had a method of thwarting tachograph readings.....doesn't it? 

Many years ago, a friend was an HGV driver delivering coal to a power station (one of many). They delivered during the night and used to do it in convoy. He claimed that the lorries were set up so that with the "correct" combination of dash switches switched, the tachos would not show the true (very excessive) speeds!

They do get caught trust me. My customer had 18 points. 

9 in a week through average speed cameras, he told me how many a week are caught and it was a mental figure. Something like 1300 a week when he got to court so they do work.

i stick to the limit around here as a £200 fine plus points would destroy my pocket  

10 hours ago, Mungler said:

In extended restrictions you can measure speed by gps (not the Speedo) and then add 10% and perhaps +1 mph on top if feeling  brave.

66 mph true gps in a 60 mph will probably read well over 70 mph on the average car speedo.

and truck speedos are calibrated every two years so they now exactly far fast they are going not like car drivers.

22 hours ago, Mungler said:

In extended restrictions you can measure speed by gps (not the Speedo) and then add 10% and perhaps +1 mph on top if feeling  brave.

66 mph true gps in a 60 mph will probably read well over 70 mph on the average car speedo.

When I'm driving in roadworks when away I use the sat nav, I seem to overtake a lot of vehicles who I assume are travelling off their speedo.

When the sat nav says I'm doing 50 the speedo says I'm doing 55/56

:shaun:

5 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

When I'm driving in roadworks when away I use the sat nav, I seem to overtake a lot of vehicles who I assume are travelling off their speedo.

When the sat nav says I'm doing 50 the speedo says I'm doing 55/56

the question is what does the camera say:sneaky2:   A trucker friend told me that it was common knowledge that average speed cameras are set at 5mph over the limit.  However I have had cars go passed me at 100mph in these sections.  I have worked on roads and it ain't funny when traffic is screaming past.  A friend who worked on the M5 had a truck clip his shoulder one night.

I always stick to the speed limit on work areas. What does annoy me is that very often the work is shut down and no activity whatsoever.

The old system was 10% and after that judgement on how the car was being driven.  Sitting on a Triumph Saint in the blind spot usually resulted in the drivers reply being, "Where the heck did you come from?  Cameras are so impersonal.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

the question is what does the camera say:sneaky2:   A trucker friend told me that it was common knowledge that average speed cameras are set at 5mph over the limit.  However I have had cars go passed me at 100mph in these sections.  I have worked on roads and it ain't funny when traffic is screaming past.  A friend who worked on the M5 had a truck clip his shoulder one night.

I always stick to the speed limit on work areas. What does annoy me is that very often the work is shut down and no activity whatsoever.

The old system was 10% and after that judgement on how the car was being driven.  Sitting on a Triumph Saint in the blind spot usually resulted in the drivers reply being, "Where the heck did you come from?  Cameras are so impersonal.

I have no idea what the camera says.

This is something I have done for years, as far as I am concerned I'm not speeding so I'm doing nothing wrong and sticking to the limit...

:shaun:

5 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

I have no idea what the camera says.

This is something I have done for years, as far as I am concerned I'm not speeding so I'm doing nothing wrong and sticking to the limit...

👍 Me too except I have large tyres so speedo is bang on. A couple of MPH over to allow for the extra length of the curves and all is good.

Your in good company shaun.  Mind it is sometimes possible to pick up a ticket by default so to speak.  I picked one up in Nuneaton on a camera. It is a trciky layout and in order to move across lanes sometimes it involves speeding up a touch to make things safe for other drivers.  I did this and picked up a ticket for 34mph. Had I braked then both the approaching vehicles may have been put in a tricky situation.  Talking to a local that particular camera clocks hundreds a week for doing the same thing.   Stay safe out there.