Single Gun Storage Help

Cobbers

Hi all, 

I am new to the forum and have just sent off the SGC application. 

I do however have some questions regarding storage that you all might assist with.

i will, for the time being, only have 1 shotgun, and a cabinet in my current property will not be possible. (Space requirement) 

i do however have a loft, and joists to secure a clamp to. (I recall a family member a while ago having a shotgun on a loft joist in what I can only describe as a metal box that clamped around the shotgun) 

from research, I understand that this would be suitable if I only have one shotgun, however I cannot seem to find any at all for sale. 

I can only find some two piece clamps that look like they secure around the trigger, and then a separate “loop” secured around the barrel.

can anyone shed any light as I would like to have security set up before the visit from the FEO.

thanks! 

I'd get a five cabinet at the very least! I speak from experience I got a three gun cabinet off eBay for £80 new delivered it can only hold two guns at best as I had the same thought as you I would only have the one shotgun....I am now in the market for a second shotgun and it's not even been twelve months since I got my cert through & I could see myself getting a third in the future easily 

Thank you all, 

I’ll look into the smaller cabinets for sure. 

The issue that I have is my loft is not boarded, and I’m not sure if the beams will be wide enough for a cabinet ? 

Will single gun cabinets protrude much from standard loft beams? , and will mounting them securely be possible with the width of the beams? 

In the loft have you a brick end you could bolt it on? Upright? 

Other wise get a 6'x3'  3/4" board, screw that down between the beams with security heads and fix onto that. Being the access it is up there id hazard a guess that that would pass.  

Also I know the clamp your on about, a farmer I used to work for had one. It wasn't bolted to the floor, clamped over breech, trigger and barrel. Weighed about 25kg. A big metal breeze block basically. Not seen one for sale for years - probably a couple decades 

26 minutes ago, Cobbers said:

Thank you all, 

I’ll look into the smaller cabinets for sure. 

The issue that I have is my loft is not boarded, and I’m not sure if the beams will be wide enough for a cabinet ? 

Will single gun cabinets protrude much from standard loft beams? , and will mounting them securely be possible with the width of the beams? 

Can you not secure a plank to the beams and then your cabinet to that? 

How is loft storage viewed? My FEO was not happy that my storage is in my bedroom as when i returned from foxing I was likely to wake other occupants. He also said that they were not keen on storage of firearms anywhere that was not easy to access as there is more likelihood that they would not be put away?

I would probably want to have a conversation with them first if possible.

So I’ve seen this cabinet that looks compact enough. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-GUN-BREAKDOWN-CABINET-BRAND-NEW-2-SHOTGUN-CABINET-GUN-SAFE-AIR-RIFLE-/380657040920

does anyone have any experience with this in terms of the drill holes? 

Im trying to get an idea if I can situate it in order to drill and secure it to the joists? 

How many screws would an FEO think is “secure” or is it just how many screws it takes to stop it moving from a good tug? 

20 minutes ago, Cobbers said:

I would rather have security sorted before their visit, otherwise it would delay no? 

If they need to re-visit to inspect security, how long is that turnaround usually? 

Not at all, visit- agree on type and location and install whilst your application is being processed.

Depending which area your in you will have between a few weeks for the grant to several months to implement your chosen method of security.

Your FEO will already have made his/her mind up on your interview and so I doubt even a secondary inspection would be carried out- I’ve moved houses before and never even been visited

Edited by Jaymo
Clarification

I would'nt recommend fitting in a loft

As said ease of access for one

Condensation can be a problem,  so to the temperatures  freezing in winter and extreme heat in summer

Your bound to have a bit space somewhere  in a corner or inside a fitted cupboard

As said buy a decent sized one  you can always store your cleaning rods and cartridges in it if you do'nt buy another gun

Or even store all the spare cash you'll have by not buying more guns:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 19:15, strimmer_13 said:

In the loft have you a brick end you could bolt it on? Upright? 

Other wise get a 6'x3'  3/4" board, screw that down between the beams with security heads and fix onto that. Being the access it is up there id hazard a guess that that would pass.  

Also I know the clamp your on about, a farmer I used to work for had one. It wasn't bolted to the floor, clamped over breech, trigger and barrel. Weighed about 25kg. A big metal breeze block basically. Not seen one for sale for years - probably a couple decades 

Similar to this

Screenshot_20190203_192146_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

On 17/01/2019 at 18:11, Cobbers said:

Hi all, 

I do however have some questions regarding storage that you all might assist with.

i will, for the time being, only have 1 shotgun, and a cabinet in my current property will not be possible. (Space requirement) 

i do however have a loft, and joists to secure a clamp to. (I recall a family member a while ago having a shotgun on a loft joist in what I can only describe as a metal box that clamped around the shotgun) 

from research, I understand that this would be suitable if I only have one shotgun, however I cannot seem to find any at all for sale. 

I can only find some two piece clamps that look like they secure around the trigger, and then a separate “loop” secured around the barrel.

can anyone shed any light as I would like to have security set up before the visit from the FEO.

thanks! 

Where are you?

On 17/01/2019 at 18:11, Cobbers said:

Hi all, 

thanks! 

as stated earlier the firearms officers do not like storage in lofts as there is always the problem of going up there to put it away. but my personal issue would be condensation. i would not be putting mine in my loft but if it is your only option. then that is the one

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Shame your not a bit closer to Peterborough as I have a breakdown cabinet going spare.

What a great offer. There really are some good kind people on PW and you can rely on TC to be there to help and offer advice etc.

OB