Punchbag bracket weight limit

Lloyd90

Alright gents, 

I wonder if you can help,

I have bought a heavy punchbag as used to do a lot of boxing, I didn't want a rubbish little bag as they swing about too much and its a waste of time. I managed to finally find a 64kg bag that wasn't ridiculously expensive. 

Now before I could find the bag I bought a heavy duty wall bracket, foolishly I forgot to check the max weight of the bracket before buying the bag as there was a large gap in-between. 

Having now checked the bracket states maximum weight of 40kg 😕 (oh ******!)

Now is there anyway that the bag would be ok to have up on that? Or is it a real no-no and I should request to exchange the bag for a smaller lighter one? 

Thanks 

Lloyd 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Get the bracket reinforced with some extra steel and some welding!

I am concerned whether there would be any issues on the wall? 

It is the garage wall, but the garage is part of the house 😂

I don't really want to change the bag as apart from the obvious cost of sending back and having to pay handing on new smaller bag, the smaller one will likely be too light as I feared. 

If there is 60kg pulling down on the bracket, could the blocks on the wall split etc? 

This is the wall bracket - its the 2ft one so should hold 40kg

https://www.fightequipmentuk.com/pro-box-heavy-weight-punch-bag-bracket.html 

4 minutes ago, haynes said:

If your desperate to use the bracket to stop the bag swaying too much put a piece of rope on to a ceiling joist and round the top of the bracket. Or if the joists are covered with plasterboard use a bolt on ring that horsey people use. Then tie to that. Job jobbed.

That's what my mate suggested doing which we considered.

As I bought the bag online I have read that I am allowed to return within 14 days of receiving it, but will have to pay the return postage. Cheaper than paying to have the wall fixed I suppose lol! 

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd if it is sold as a 40Kg bracket do not put 60Kg on it unless you beef it up a bit.

Only you can view the wall you're going to mount it on.

Considering sending it back and getting the 40kg bag 😞 

I'd say it all depends on the size of the bracket. Making it larger will distribute the weight over a larger area. If it's 4" square I'd worry but if it's a 16" square it should be ok as that would be on 2 courses of block 

1 minute ago, haynes said:

Put a 6x2 onto the ceiling to span 2 joists and fasten your bag to that. 

The best idea above tbh

6 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I'd say it all depends on the size of the bracket. Making it larger will distribute the weight over a larger area. If it's 4" square I'd worry but if it's a 16" square it should be ok as that would be on 2 courses of block 

The best idea above tbh

The bracket I posted a link to mate, not sure if it's the right one needed? 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The bracket I posted a link to mate, not sure if it's the right one needed? 

Soz fella didn't notice that. I'd say that bracket would hold the weight not a problem. Same as the wall would. Until you gave it a cross. That doesn't look up to 60kg of force going sideways tbh. 

I think Haynes idea of the 6x2 on the ceiling is the best, put over 3-4 joists and a heavy duty hook from Screwfix. I had a lighter one for years in that way untill it ended up for archery practise 

25 minutes ago, haynes said:

Id be more concerned the fixings pulling out. Especially if into thermalight blocks. The vibration will have them out in no time. Ive tried all manner of fixings but nothing works very well.

Put a 6x2 onto the ceiling to span 2 joists and fasten your bag to that. 

Mine is hung from a single heavy duty hook screwed direct into the joist and works just fine too.

12 minutes ago, sako751sg said:

Mine is hung from a single heavy duty hook screwed direct into the joist and works just fine too.

What weight is your mate? 

Issue for me is the bloody garage ceiling is boarded and plastered as the garage is part of the house 😐

I’d always go ceiling mounted if possible. You can move round the back and better for  ‘body shots’ m. Less likely to miss and hit the wall too 😂

I bought a 1tonne lifting strap and wrapped it over a noggin I fitted in between 2 joists. If joists are visible then there’s quite a few ways to do it.

Link to the ceiling mount? 

50 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

I’d always go ceiling mounted if possible. You can move round the back and better for  ‘body shots’ m. Less likely to miss and hit the wall too 😂

I bought a 1tonne lifting strap and wrapped it over a noggin I fitted in between 2 joists. If joists are visible then there’s quite a few ways to do it.

Link to the ceiling mount? 

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/title-boxing-heavy-duty-wood-beam-punching-bag-hanger/p-12634563-25457005?ac=google&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7IDiBRCLARIsABIPohgtEun2bVC6IG-I5ln3oGlct9WiUXL6maW5AInuuvrbLBSm6dH66xMaAlmLEALw_wcB

this is the one I have seen, however I know there will be others. 

Think I better get on and cut a hole in the ceiling plaster board to see what it’s like above and what option would be best. 

There is a bedroom above the garage as it’s a terraced town house... I would assume (hopefully not wrongly) that this would be the joists would be quite strong? 

3 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I remember the first time I ever threw a punch at a heavy bag - thought I’d broken my wrist 😝😝

I remember once I was the only person at the gym willing to do a round sparring with this 6 ft 6 - 20 stone ripped monster ... I thought he’d be big and slow... 

I thought his lunch had cracked my skull 😂 I got cheered for lasting the round 😂

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just found a ceiling hoist mount that’ll hold 150lb ... my bags 140lb 

RESULT!!! 

£30 for the mount and it’ll cost me £35 to send the bag back ... so a no brainer!! 

Quick question however... how much hanging weight can you put on a ceiling joist?

What size are the joists? What distance do the joist span?