Punchbag bracket weight limit

Lloyd90

You are likely to weigh more than 140lb, get a bit of timber tha same dimension as your roof joists, put it across two blocks and stand on it and bounce a bit.

It will surprise you how much weight it will hold.

If you spread the load across multiple beams with another bit of timber it would hold up a car.

Spread the load over a few joists, make sure you use good fittings and you will be fine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increase the surface area of the bracket, also increase the fixings across the bracket. You could double the bracket but not on the same block, bolt a piece of steel over several blocks and bolt the bracket to that. 

Or plant a tree in your garden and use one of its branches to hang your bag on. 

I was going to ask the question about joist s wasn't sure if modern 'J' joists would take the wieght.

Mibee different with a real heavy bag but be a lot of extra pressure from the bag bouncing about almost shock loading any bracket.

I know in my last garage i just hung the bag of some 4x2 between to big joists 8x2, but every thing was visible and only supporting a tin roof and not far off wall head either

Wot i'd do is have ur bracket on the wall (u don't mentioon wall structure, guessing either block or thermal blocks) but i'd add and extension to the bracket to the floor so the floor can suppport a lot of the wieght too.

Or just send bracket back and get a local blacksmith/welder to make u a frame/bracket out of 2" box a T piece on floor to sperad wieght a piece up wall to ur hieght and then a 90 bend to take bag away from wall, mibee a bit of triangulation at corner forbelt and braces.

Prety easy made so shouldn't be to dear

Really just a modified copy of a free standing support (used to have one at the karate club years ago, not very good thou)

Take a piece of 2 x2 inch steel box section which fits snug from concrete floor to roof joist. Put a plate on each end that you can run bolts through into the concrete and the roof joists...

you could strengthen the joists by putting a 12 x 2inch plank across three or four of them, then weld on a the necessary support for the bag  .. With a bit of ingenuity you could have this removable leaving the connections in the wall and ceiling so the bag could be away from a wall in the middle of the garage if necessary.

I think the vibration from the bag is going to pull securing bolts from the wall eventually. 

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Take a piece of 2 x2 inch steel box section which fits snug from concrete floor to roof joist. Put a plate on each end that you can run bolts through into the concrete and the roof joists...

you could strengthen the joists by putting a 12 x 2inch plank across three or four of them, then weld on a the necessary support for the bag  .. With a bit of ingenuity you could have this removable leaving the connections in the wall and ceiling so the bag could be away from a wall in the middle of the garage if necessary.

I think the vibration from the bag is going to pull securing bolts from the wall eventually. 

Or use an acrow prop, then you will get a perfect fit!

50 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Holy moly, the bag only weighs 140lbs / 10 stones.

Lloyd is there a room above the garage or just an external roof?

If a room would you have given any thought to 6 adults standing in there having a blether and walking around?  That would be about 8x more weight than the bag on the exact same support structure.

If it just an external roof then the wind load  alone on a gentle breezy day would dwarf the 140lb weight of the bag.

Spread the load across several joists by fastening on a length of 6x2 with decent timber fixings and make sure the hanging eye or hook is through bolted.

I agree in a fairly static situation that is corect. What I was concerned about was the actual 'use' of the bag. If that would put additional strain. I was always taught if you think it's strong enough then make it a bit bigger/stronger.   Pity your in Bristol as I have about 30ft of 50mil and 35mil laying in my yard and you could have 6 or 7ft free gratis. 

Is it an outside wall ?  If so a through bolt/s and some plates on both sides would prevent any movement and damage.

Edited by Walker570

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I agree in a fairly static situation that is corect. What I was concerned about was the actual 'use' of the bag. If that would put additional strain. I was always taught if you think it's strong enough then make it a bit bigger/stronger.   Pity your in Bristol as I have about 30ft of 50mil and 35mil laying in my yard and you could have 6 or 7ft free gratis. 

Is it an outside wall ?  If so a through bolt/s and some plates on both sides would prevent any movement and damage.

I doubt Lloyd will move it that much so it will be nearly static!:shout::shout:

• 2 weeks later...

Super boxer I was (before I got fat 😮 ) lol!! 

Sorry for delay, 

The wall it will be up against is internal, the roof above is has a bedroom above. 

Unfortunately the joists above are only 2"x2" skinny little things, no idea why... think they may just be there for suspended ceiling. 

My lodger who is a plumber is very handy fair play to him, he don't think those skinny joists are up to the weight, we are however going to cut a bigger hole in the roof to have a better look 🤣

13 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Super boxer I was (before I got fat 😮 ) lol!! 

Sorry for delay, 

The wall it will be up against is internal, the roof above is has a bedroom above. 

Unfortunately the joists above are only 2"x2" skinny little things, no idea why... think they may just be there for suspended ceiling. 

My lodger who is a plumber is very handy fair play to him, he don't think those skinny joists are up to the weight, we are however going to cut a bigger hole in the roof to have a better look 🤣

The 2 x2s must be for a suspended ceiling (definitely not strong enough!). They would not be used for the bedroom floor. The bedroom floor will probably be something like 9" x 2"s.(strong enough!!)

(the "ceiling" (not roof) above has a bedroom above)

Edited by silver pigeon69

2 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

The 2 x2s must be for a suspended ceiling (definitely not strong enough!). They would not be used for the bedroom floor. The bedroom floor will probably be something like 9" x 2"s.

(the "ceiling" (not roof) above has a bedroom above)

Yes that's what I would have thought mate, 

I assume the ceiling above has  solid floor yes, I wonder if theres an option to get onto one of those 9x2? I assume they would easily be strong enough? 

Probably find if you cut a bigger hole that you can see the flooring joists exposed from the underside. Do you know what colour the plasterboard was on the ceiling? (Blue/red/grey?) If blue its probably sound proofing and the suspended ceiling will probably be 500mm below the flooring joist.

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes that's what I would have thought mate, 

I assume the ceiling above has  solid floor yes, I wonder if theres an option to get onto one of those 9x2? I assume they would easily be strong enough? 

Yes they would be strong enough. if you can see them get a piece of 6 x 2, lay it flat on the underside over 4 or more of the joists and put 2 x screws 6mm x 150mm into each joist.

Edited by silver pigeon69

Can't remember how modern u said ur house was, but if fairly modern could be 'J' joists, which never look very strong at all but must be, althou i wouldn't fancy hanging a heavy bag of them with the jolting it does

I'd just fabricate ur own bracket running a vertical beam to the floor so putting most of wieght on the floor.

Not hard any hobby welder could knock 1 up relatively easily. Shame ur not closer i'd have enough scrap 2" box lying about to knock 1 up

18 hours ago, scotslad said:

Can't remember how modern u said ur house was, but if fairly modern could be 'J' joists, which never look very strong at all but must be, althou i wouldn't fancy hanging a heavy bag of them with the jolting it does

I'd just fabricate ur own bracket running a vertical beam to the floor so putting most of wieght on the floor.

Not hard any hobby welder could knock 1 up relatively easily. Shame ur not closer i'd have enough scrap 2" box lying about to knock 1 up

I've been looking online for a full length bracket like that but can't see one anywhere!  Bit like the one in this video!

Thats the sort of thing i would do, a cross bar at bottom to spread wieght on floor too.

Really not a lot of work in them really only 30 mins or so work (ignorineg the painting) any blacksmith, engineer could make them easily with scraps lying about sheds

In theory i wouldn't of had as many fixing brackets up the side, or drill a couple of holes in the 2" box for fixing, but even that is easy fabrication.

That way u could specify the distance u want the bag from the wall too

15 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Thats the sort of thing i would do, a cross bar at bottom to spread wieght on floor too.

Really not a lot of work in them really only 30 mins or so work (ignorineg the painting) any blacksmith, engineer could make them easily with scraps lying about sheds

In theory i wouldn't of had as many fixing brackets up the side, or drill a couple of holes in the 2" box for fixing, but even that is easy fabrication.

That way u could specify the distance u want the bag from the wall too

Any idea what one might cost ? 

Been a while since i bought box that size, have to price some up shortly, but if u know anyone handy at all really only a 20 quid mates rates job + materials.

It is a very simple job, infact almost idiot proof esp if u plate over the top joint as well as ur stay. Very little skill required

And materials shouldnae be that dear, althou when u buy steel for hobby welding ur never long speding a few hundred quid and it never looks a lot on ur trailer

Dunno owt it would be fron a company, must admit a few locla engineers to me would not be dear for that, but i'm in an agri area, city prices might be different.

If u were closer i'd knock it up for u for the materials

I'm sur eif u googles steel prices or for 50mm box x 3mm thick u'd get a general idea of costs, just ur upright 6ftish? depending on bag hieght/how it hangs,  a 2-4ft piece for floor bit of angle would be fine and 2 pieces for ur bag to hang off and stay, guessing about 3-4m of metal tops

1 minute ago, scotslad said:

Been a while since i bought box that size, have to price some up shortly, but if u know anyone handy at all really only a 20 quid mates rates job + materials.

It is a very simple job, infact almost idiot proof esp if u plate over the top joint as well as ur stay. Very little skill required

And materials shouldnae be that dear, althou when u buy steel for hobby welding ur never long speding a few hundred quid and it never looks a lot on ur trailer

Dunno owt it would be fron a company, must admit a few locla engineers to me would not be dear for that, but i'm in an agri area, city prices might be different.

If u were closer i'd knock it up for u for the materials

I'm sur eif u googles steel prices or for 50mm box x 3mm thick u'd get a general idea of costs, just ur upright 6ftish? depending on bag hieght/how it hangs,  a 2-4ft piece for floor bit of angle would be fine and 2 pieces for ur bag to hang off and stay, guessing about 3-4m of metal tops

Ai I don't think it's a big job actually mate. 

I have spoken to a friend who is enquiring with a very good welder he knows. I have also queried whether it's an option to just extend the length of the bracket I already have, as it's bloody sturdy, would just need to weld about an extra 4 foot onto the bottom of it going down!