Punchbag bracket weight limit

Lloyd90

2 hours ago, scotslad said:

Mibee would be , might depend on wot its made off.

Really not a big job at all. Give him the option and let him get on with it.

or sstick the bracket on evil bay for sale (was it expensive?)

The current bracket is 2” box steel same as I would be using! 

Think it was about £50. It’s claimed to be a heavy duty one. Had I checked first it says it can hold 40kg. 

I looked the other day though and saw a bracket with thinner metal and looks much flimsiest and it stated it could hold 50kg ... 

so not sure if they juat stick a 40kg weight limit on it to be safe 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all its 50mm box it could be thinner steel or even a different metal/alloy.

Just say to the boy to do wotever is easier or even cheaper? (i guess the cheapest way might be to flog ur new piece as doubt there will be saving 50 quid of work)

Althou just thinking wot u could do ur self is measuer either the inside or outside size of ur metal bracket (assuming u think it will be strong enough) and buy a piece of metal that will either fit inside or outside the bracket to 'sleeve' it, give it a decent bit of overlap and drill 1 or 2 holes to fix the 2 bits together. Obiviousy that piece of metal will be long enough to reach the floor, The floor 'T' piece i'd add doesn't actually need to be metal or attached could be any piece of timber, small slab or metal just to stop ur post marking ur floor and spread any weight and to be honest probalbly isn't really needed just a bit of overkill really

Just mind if ur new piece of metal is going on top of existing bracket its the inside dia of box u need (ie if 50mm box x 3mm inside size should be about 44mm and vice versa if gong inside ur bracket)

Go to any welding/fabrication shop unless you can do yourself (welds need to be of good standard) ask them if they will knock one up for you 1hour tops hangmans gallow bracket style 6mm floor plate 200x200 bolted to concrete garage floor to take the weight then 2 horizontal peices from the upright pole with a plate whatever distance from wall u need fix to garage wall to take the swing top part gallows style with whatever width you need with d shackle and a 45 deg brace between upright and horizontal section  to take bag so floor and wall mounted never move all 40 or 50 mm x 3mm box section

Resin fix with 12mm threaded bar or 12mm through bolts 

11 hours ago, ljaddy12 said:

I use dc iron for most of my stuff steel stockists 3m length of 50x50 x2.5mm should be around£10 

https://www.dciron.co.uk/pbs50/

Having your pants down at £10 a meter pal

I mibbee read the site wrong then possibly it was 10 for the 3m length,

i usually just buy my steel at Franklins as only steel place for miles.