Recommendations for 1st shotgun

Jacko3275

Looking on the brightside and my app goes through for my sgc what would you recommend for a starter gun.  I will be mainly clay shooting but hoping to go to the odd shoot or find a permission.  My budget is between 6&800.  I have been looking a the ATA SP BRONZE SPORTER not seen any bad reviews for its price.... THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ADVICE 

39 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Looking on the brightside and my app goes through for my sgc what would you recommend for a starter gun.  I will be mainly clay shooting but hoping to go to the odd shoot or find a permission.  My budget is between 6&800.  I have been looking a the ATA SP BRONZE SPORTER not seen any bad reviews for its price.... THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ADVICE 

The gun that fits you is the gun to buy, regardless of the maker.

All the best with your application. 

You can buy a decent used Brownings g or Beretta for £800.00

But if as tightchoke posted Bosher has something in his cabinet cheap. it will do until you get your mount and technique consistent. Then either trade in or keep as second back up rough shooting gun.

3 minutes ago, Jason_ox said:

If it was me I’d go for beretta 686 or browning 325. You’re not going to lose a whole lot when the time comes to upgrade. 

Very much this, having relatively recently gained a certificate I bought a new Turkish made Webley and Scott, which has been faultless - but to trade up I’d get buttons, so have kept it.

Have since bought a used silver pigeon second hand, should have done that straight off the bat, or bought a really cheap gun as above. 

Jacko go in a shop , dont look at names or prices , ask if you can try the gun . Hold it and see how it feels , you will know when you have picked the right gun up . It will just feel right . Its a little strange  feeling at first . But something tells you this feels right . Ok , now look at the name and price . Next big question can i afford the price . To some degree  it does not matter about the name its , this is the gun for me .

14 hours ago, clumber said:

The gun that fits you is the gun to buy, regardless of the maker.

All the best with your application. 

This. 

My advise is forget names and try as many as possible to decide what feels best. I bought a Lanber as my first gun. Still my go to gun now. You will not hit consistently with an ill fitting gun with a nice name.

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Jacko go in a shop , dont look at names or prices , ask if you can try the gun . Hold it and see how it feels , you will know when you have picked the right gun up . It will just feel right . Its a little strange  feeling at first . But something tells you this feels right . Ok , now look at the name and price . Next big question can i afford the price . To some degree  it does not matter about the name its , this is the gun for me .

😁👍

I and many others will have done the same thing . In my first 3 years i must have had about 20 differant guns till i found one that suited me . So think about all the money i lost trading in every time . It becomes scarey  even a loss on 20 guns at £100 a time and thats been very genours . On a new gun you loose the VAT . Plus a lot more . 

39 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

I and many others will have done the same thing . In my first 3 years i must have had about 20 differant guns till i found one that suited me . So think about all the money i lost trading in every time . It becomes scarey  even a loss on 20 guns at £100 a time and thats been very genours . On a new gun you loose the VAT . Plus a lot more . 

Everything depreciates - Just depends whether the amount of fun you had while it depreciated was comparable to the financial loss - £100 a year = 27.3p per day - Bargain!

16 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Everything depreciates - Just depends whether the amount of fun you had while it depreciated was comparable to the financial loss - £100 a year = 27.3p per day - Bargain!

No i think you miss the point a 100 pound loss on 20 guns =2000 pounds . And that is been kind 

300 pounds loss on 20 guns = 6000 pounds . Maybe i should of worded it better .

18 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

My first shotgun was £300 worth of Remington 1100 semi automatic, must be nearly 50 years old, my second was a £175 worth of Fabarm O/U.
Bearing in mind I do far more shotgunning than any other shooting, guess how many shotguns I have now 7 years on ?
Those same 2, thats it , as much as I keep looking at a 'better' gun, and I must admit I keep looking at those ATAs, I just wonder if it would make that much of a difference to my shooting ?
Im not one to sit and admire a gun, to me its a tool, and I dont want to start crying if I or someone else bumps the stock or barrels, both guns have never given me any trouble whatsoever. and if theres a problem, Ill either fix it or get another.

Like Tightchoke says , get a cheap gun and find out what you like and want in a shotgun, then if you feel like upgrading , you will be better equipped to decide where to spend your hard earned.

Once you get your SGC and start mingling down the clay grounds, you may well get the opportunity to try others guns, and see what all the fuss is about.