Recommendations for 1st shotgun

Jacko3275

I brought one of them ata sporters new, my thought were first gun for less than £600 with a 3 year warranty, cant be bad? 

Really do regret buying it, as others have said should have put the money into a beretta/browing. When I picked up my s686 and put it to the shoulder it was like a revelation. 

Go out and handle as many as you can, you'll know when you've found the right one. 

If you have a tendency to chop and change things then go for something either fabulously cheap or a used browning/beretta/miroku so you don’t loose too much when you change.

If like me you tend to keep things till they die it’s probably less of an issue. 

I bought a left handed akkar churchill over under for 700-800 quid roughly four years ago (I can’t remember but I think it was around that) with 1000 cartridges as it was the best fitting gun of two left handed contenders in the shop (having driven a very long way to see a left handed beretta that then wasn’t there). I thought I had made a mistake for months but have never felt the need to sell it or look for a fancier over under to replace it. Right handed shots seem to have far more temptation available to them though. I have shot many much fancier guns borrowed from other people but none have felt desirable if that makes sense (all borrowed from right handed shots though).

On 20/01/2019 at 09:28, Whitester said:

Try and go for a second hand b525 or silver pigeon and you won't loose much money if you decide to sell.

however they do have to pretty much fit or there's not much point

If these guns are so good why are they so many second hand ones ... just a thought 

On 17/01/2019 at 20:54, haynes said:

There are few mechanically poor and bad made guns these days. You can get some great buys that arnt in fashion. Lanber, lincoln, bettinsoli all very good and for about 400 quid. Buy what fits and spend the extra on lessons or cartridges and enjoy. 

My gunsmith said avoid Huglu when he was trying to sort out the really delightful looking/handling little 410 side by side I had purchased.  The innards where not so good I'm afraid and it is relogated to my tree rat trap gun.   The idea to buy  reasonably priced gun to start with is sound in my view but pick them all up and se how they feel. Your not going to be able to judge fully if the gun fits but if it feels naturally good then you are part way there.  I have a Yilditz o/u 410 which I have now shot for two very full seasons on driven game and had a few days over decoys with and it still performs faultlessly.   Picked one or Bettinsoli shotguns up and they handled very nicely and I have one of their double rifles and it is excellent.

You can buy a cheap and nasty gun but get used to shooting it. Try so.eonrs very expensive gun and if it don't fit would feel alien to you and not nice.

There are plenty of shooting coaches on here who could help you with gun fit and how to start off shooting the correct way. It's worth a lesson or two.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2019 at 14:10, figgy said:

You can buy a cheap and nasty gun but get used to shooting it. Try so.eonrs very expensive gun and if it don't fit would feel alien to you and not nice.

There are plenty of shooting coaches on here who could help you with gun fit and how to start off shooting the correct way. It's worth a lesson or two.

This is true. I shoot a lanber. I tried a mates grade 5 Brownings and could not get on with it. I have also tried another mates Winchester select and found that a lot more manageable.