Humane dispatch

Joshcup11

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Charlie

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. [Section 161(2)) 

ATB

Terry

Agreed and as you say with the knowledge of the police, the point I am trying to make to the thread op is that there is a process for humane dispatch. 

No, I didn’t make myself clear; we didn’t contact the police prior to shooting, two of the guns were coppers.

It is  ONLY an offence if you hinder etc someone, as long as this doesn’t happen you’re ok to go. There is no requirement to inform the police. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Scully said:

No, I didn’t make myself clear; we didn’t contact the police prior to shooting, two of the guns were coppers.

It is  ONLY an offence if you hinder etc someone, as long as this doesn’t happen you’re ok to go. There is no requirement to inform the police. 

Ok, well either way it wasn’t an offence and you are aware of the law, so no doubt if a passer by wanted to pass you would let them even if that means waiting ... 

i/we do the same on our shoots ..

3 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

Ok, well either way it wasn’t an offence and you are aware of the law, so no doubt if a passer by wanted to pass you would let them even if that means waiting ... 

i/we do the same on our shoots ..

Yes. We even stop for those who are actually inadvertently trespassing; it's only happened a couple of times. 

I was driving to a game shoot once when I found a van parked in the road, hazard lights on, and two chaps trying somewhat ineptly to euthanize a roe doe which had been broadsided quite hard.

They were using a lump hammer.

I asked them to move the deer into the hedge and then dispatched it with one shot to the cerebral cortex from my 12 bore. 

I called the police and explained what I had done and why. They were very happy that I had done the right thing and saved them a callout.  I had a reasonable excuse for using my shotgun in a public place (a quiet country lane). If it had been a busier area I would probably have called them first for "permission" but this animal was suffering. The police later rang again to double check because a lady driver passing by had also called it in. 

Before embarking on this enterprise, a worthwhile read would be, Deer: Law and Liabilities by Charlie Parkes and John Thornley.

Could save many twitches of the sphincter as you may well be called to account for your actions? 

On 18/01/2019 at 18:17, Tford said:

With all the worry you would leave the animal to suffer. Dispatch as quickly, safely and as discretely as possible. The police aren’t ignorant and would take a sensible view based on the circumstances. 

Edited by old man

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:14, Vince Green said:

Its a difficult subject and it wouldn't be clear even if you had dispatch on your certificate. Discharging a firearm on (or beside) a public highway is specifically illegal, people might argue special circumstances and that might well be accepted.

In general I would avoid putting myself in a position where I might end up being interviewed by the boys in blue over a well intentioned good deed.

Sorry Vince it isn't.

It has to be done at times and the Police have given me detailed training for this very purpose!

Just the same, my situation is very different to Joshcup11, and getting any gun out to dispatch anything on the side of the road is to be avoided for most people, it is very likely to lead to a whole world of pain!

Nothing to do with humane sespatch but pertinent to shooting near or on a public highway. On the first drive of last syndicate shoot of the season, we surround a wood , along two sides of which is a single carriageway public highway. The guns were stood in the field, separated from the road by a hedge, around 50 yards from the centre of the road. Two cyclists trundled past as the drive was going on but no shots were being fired, and the female of the two shouted at one of the guns ‘you are too close to the road’, to which the gun replied ‘no I’m not’, to which she replied ‘yes you are’. The gun just looked at her and shook his head. After going round the corner she met another gun who wasn’t carrying a gun but was instead acting as a stop as he walked down the side of the road just as any other pedestrian would; the only difference being be had a flag. 

The woman stopped beside him, apparently furious, and shouted at him from at a distance of about two yards ‘ I resent being surrounded by people standing too close to the road with guns, it’s illegal’. The beater replied ‘ they aren’t too close to the road and they aren’t doing anything illegal’, but she insisted it was. The beater said ‘well madam, if you’re sure of your facts you are more than welcome to inform the police, but as a retired police officer ( CID 😃 ) I can assure you they’re not breaking any laws.’ She couldn’t have picked on a better person, and obviously very irate muttered something he didn’t quite catch as she rode off, to which he called her a ‘Lycra lout.’ Ha...great stuff! 😀

Edited by Scully
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nothing to do with humane sespatch but pertinent to shooting near or on a public highway. On the first drive of last syndicate shoot of the season, we surround a wood , along two sides of which is a single carriageway public highway. The guns were stood in the field, separated from the road by a hedge, around 50 yards from the centre of the road. Two cyclists trundled past as the drive was going on but no shots were being fired, and the female of the two shouted at one of the guns ‘you are too close to the road’, to which the gun replied ‘no I’m not’, to which she replied ‘yes you are’. The gun just looked at her and shook his head. After going round the corner she met another gun who wasn’t carrying a gun but was instead acting as a stop as he walked down the side of the road just as any other pedestrian would; the only difference being be had a flag. 

The woman stopped beside him, apparently furious, and shouted at him from at a distance of about two yards ‘ I resent being surrounded by people standing too close to the road with guns, it’s illegal’. The beater replied ‘ they aren’t too close to the toad and they aren’t doing anything illegal’, but she insisted it was. The beater said ‘well madam, if you’re sure of your facts you are more than welcome to inform the police, but as a retired police officer ( CID 😃 ) I can assure you they’re not breaking any laws.’ She couldn’t have picked on a better person, and obviously very irate muttered something he didn’t quite catch as she rode off, to which he called her a ‘Lycra lout.’ Ha...great stuff! 😀

Love it 😂 just the bloke to have on the road with the flag. 

Never get too close to the toad. 

9 minutes ago, oowee said:

Love it 😂 just the bloke to have on the road with the flag. 

Never get too close to the toad. 

Ha...saw it before I edited eh! 😀

Yeah, great stuff. She just couldn’t have chosen a worse bloke to pick on. 🙂 No doubt we’ll relive it at the end of season jamboree tonight. 

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

No surprise she didn't know what the law is when plenty of people who shoot don't know what it is and I would guess a lot if not most police wouldn't know.

No surprise there then - most cyclists our way do not even know their highway code  (or chose to totally ignore it)  let alone the law.

If anyone is considering volunteering or you would just like a good day learning with someone who has vast experience of many HD callouts - I really enjoyed the course, there was stuff on it I would never have considered. You can book here https://www.bds.org.uk/index.php/training/training-course-dates

New Dates for 2019 DVC Humane Animal Dispatch Courses

The BDS Deer Vehicle Collision Humane Animal Dispatch Course is designed for all those involved in animal dispatch, be it at police control room level or the individual carrying out the task as an operator within an established police call out scheme. The cost of the course is £95 - this includes a course handbook, tuition and a Lantra award certificate issued on completion of the course.

Dates for 2019
Cirencester, Gloucestershire – 17 March
Wandsford, Cambridgeshire – 18 May
Totnes, Devon – 15 June
Cannock, Staffordshire – 29 September
Cirencester, Gloucestershire – 13 October

20 minutes ago, 243deer said:

If anyone is considering volunteering or you would just like a good day learning with someone who has vast experience of many HD callouts - I really enjoyed the course, there was stuff on it I would never have considered. You can book here https://www.bds.org.uk/index.php/training/training-course-dates

New Dates for 2019 DVC Humane Animal Dispatch Courses

The BDS Deer Vehicle Collision Humane Animal Dispatch Course is designed for all those involved in animal dispatch, be it at police control room level or the individual carrying out the task as an operator within an established police call out scheme. The cost of the course is £95 - this includes a course handbook, tuition and a Lantra award certificate issued on completion of the course.

Dates for 2019
Cirencester, Gloucestershire – 17 March
Wandsford, Cambridgeshire – 18 May
Totnes, Devon – 15 June
Cannock, Staffordshire – 29 September
Cirencester, Gloucestershire – 13 October

I would imagine it's a fascinating course to go on and lots to learn. Did you get any sense as to what the motivations were of the people on the course? I can imagine from a professional viewpoint it could be invaluable but what intrigues me is why others would give up cash and time to volunteer for it. 

On 26/01/2019 at 17:33, Scully said:

The woman stopped beside him, apparently furious, and shouted at him from at a distance of about two yards ‘ I resent being surrounded by people standing too close to the road with guns, it’s illegal’. The beater replied ‘ they aren’t too close to the road and they aren’t doing anything illegal’, but she insisted it was. The beater said ‘well madam, if you’re sure of your facts you are more than welcome to inform the police, but as a retired police officer ( CID 😃 ) I can assure you they’re not breaking any laws.’ She couldn’t have picked on a better person, and obviously very irate muttered something he didn’t quite catch as she rode off, to which he called her a ‘Lycra lout.’ Ha...great stuff! 😀

Thats great ... and i do love the term Lycra Lout .. I am going to use that :lol:

On 01/02/2019 at 15:40, oowee said:

I would imagine it's a fascinating course to go on and lots to learn. Did you get any sense as to what the motivations were of the people on the course? I can imagine from a professional viewpoint it could be invaluable but what intrigues me is why others would give up cash and time to volunteer for it. 

Because knowledge is power..