Stans first full season

B725

As of today my dog has done 8 full day's beating and it's been a pleasure to see him work and develop. Not once have I had to tell him off and he has adjusted his pace and reliance on the whistle, he only hunts so far then looks for me as much as I look for him I have had total confidence with him. The last drive was a short one on the duck so we stood in full view of what was happening. One duck fell just 20 feet in front of us and the only movement from the dog was to look at me. I let him wait for a short while then sent him for it, this is his first shot warm duck, at first he was unsure but a bit of encouragement he he picked it up with no fuss, happy days. 

IMG_20190118_154326.jpg

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

How old is Stan?

I know that you have been helpful to Lloyd with some comments.

Almost 2 year's old I have never been in a rush with any of the training as I want him to be the best I can from him. Next Friday is beaters day when he will in effect be a peg dog but I have every convidence he won't let me down. He won't be tied up just reliant on being told to sit. 

Edited by B725

1 minute ago, B725 said:

Almost 2 year's old I have never been in a rush with any of the training as I want him to be the best I can from him. Next Friday is beaters day when he will in effect be a peg dog but I have every convidence he won't let me down. 

I don't think he will let you down either. You have taken it steady with him and now you will have a good dog for years to come.

My Sprocker didn't come out with me until he was two years old and when he did I made a point of picking all the birds around my hide which he could see by myself.

I hope so JD. When I reply to training post's I hope I don't come across as patronising I just want people to have the same enjoyment as myself with a good dog and I also like to read about their journey towards that. I would like to thank BB for letting me have little Stan. My previous springer was a very good dog and Stan had some big shoes to fill but has exceeded all expectations. I will post o on how next week goes warts and all. 

He’s a cracker mate :) 

Never sound patronising always love people adding advice and guidance :) 

Taking my pup out on game has really improved his hunting but he did chase a crow across the park the other day! 

Were now back to steadying 😂

All part of the fun! 

Looking forward to the day I can do a full day out shooting over mine. 

Well done Stan!! 

Wll done

JJust wondering have u shot with him standing on a peg before?

Not wanting to sound like i'm knockoing ur training here, as he sounds a cracking dog (wish my spaniel responded to whistle like that) but i would take a corkscrew and lead just incase.  If u don't need it great (althou u would be better putting the lead on 1st and see how he responds rather than risking him running in 1st)

Most dogs will behave different whhen they realise their owner isn't focussing on them but the shooting and also if likely to be a lot of banging and any birds landing all round him.  Lot of excitement, birds falling, banging most likely other less well trained dogs running about like headless chickens. Lot of temptions for a young dog very easy to slip up.

Sounds like u've done a lot of good work it would be a shame if he picked up a bad habit on the last day of season, plus the sort of bad habit thats bad to fully correct

I know my dogs are pretty rock steady for picking with no leads, but as soon as i pick up a gun and stand things change and they egg each other on and mayhen ensues!!

But i've seen even very bomb proof rock steady dogs break every once in a while

This is him at 11 month old on boxing day, he has had numerous outings pigeon shooting no hide just sat in a hedge, I did it this way so he could see everything he has never run in to shot or to a falling pigeon. He has never been tied to anything and has sat for long periods and been fine. He has also seen especially on duck drives everything happening never moved once, I rightly or wrongly will let him sit with no restrictions but that's down to the trust I have in him. I will let you know what he was like. 

IMG-20180505-WA0000.jpg

I just know i've been there and had the t shirt with dogs i thought would/should be steadier, (being asked to load at grouse when ur meant to be picking up with 5 dogs and no leads whoops ) i would stick it in ur game bag then if u need to its there. Belt and braces

It he runs in early doors he'll be doing it all day and spoil ur day and u have no means of preventing it. And often with dogs prevention is better than cure

A lot might depend how busy ur drives are, but if ur busy with a lot of birds falling all around and esp other dogs running there is far more temption than just u ut in the field

Hope it all goes well thou and u have a cracking day

I fully appreciate what you are saying, this is a brief breakdown age wise of his training. At 7 month old he had flushed partridge and pheasant never chased just stopped. He then went to an international trailing judge for a assessment, 8 month old he was in his rabbit pen moving rabbits never chased just stopped. By the time of the picture I posted we had flushed hare's out of the rape stopped every time he had also been beating 3or4 time's but only for a couple of hour's each time. He's been back home to Wales for a training day with Andy Cullen he was pleased how he was, plus the pigeon shooting, will he be a dog of a lifetime its certainly looking that way. His KC name seems to be 150 caracters long so we called him Stan

2 hours ago, B725 said:

I fully appreciate what you are saying, this is a brief breakdown age wise of his training. At 7 month old he had flushed partridge and pheasant never chased just stopped. He then went to an international trailing judge for a assessment, 8 month old he was in his rabbit pen moving rabbits never chased just stopped. By the time of the picture I posted we had flushed hare's out of the rape stopped every time he had also been beating 3or4 time's but only for a couple of hour's each time. He's been back home to Wales for a training day with Andy Cullen he was pleased how he was, plus the pigeon shooting, will he be a dog of a lifetime its certainly looking that way. His KC name seems to be 150 caracters long so we called him Stan

Stick him in a working test mate he should do well :)

Might be worth a punt at novice trials, they can be good fun :) 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

His bro just got a 3rd in his first trial today... against the Big Boys too.....just sayin’ 😂😂

Tempted to have a go? 😂

Did you run him mate? 

Cracking effort fair play :) quite a few up and coming new dogs and young handlers recently. 

The old boys don’t like getting knocked off the top spot apparently.