My sporting week

Mightymariner

My work commitments are about to pick up again so I have made the most of the last week.

Firstly, I enjoyed a lovely, friendly game shoot with Clodhopper and JDog. I shot three pheasants and one tall partridge, which was plenty for me. The terrain was undulating, company very good and friendly, informal and fun.

Then, on Sunday in very strong winds my son and I had a very impromptu hour or so on pigeons in some trees alongside some rape. I shot 12 pigeons, and I have to say they were amazing, tall, twisting and acrobatic in the gales. They weren't decoying, just flighting and having a look at my rotary. Max sat with me for a while before getting bored, so I sent him off in the Land Rover to push any pigeons off another field. He is sixteen but responsible and negotiated a very boggy track in the Defender. Then he sat in it and watched me, sending me the occasional text - praising or otherwise when I hit or missed. It was a great couple of hours.

Wednesday morning, again with no planning, I got up and out the house on a whim to shoot a rape field at first light. Not sure why I did, perhaps I was inspired by JDog's session (as reported). Anyway, with minimum kit I was set up on the field by 7.45am. I had no idea if pigeons would come but I had seen them on the field around lunchtime. Anyway, wind in my face didn't matter, as a few birds swooped over my shoulder and into the rotary. There weren't many about but I managed to shoot four in the hour I was there, plus the farmer was happy I had been.

Friday saw JDog and myself heading into the Wolds to some beet fields where the farmer had told me he had seen a "massive black cloud of pigeons". There were probably 300 on and around the field when we pulled into the opening, they lifted off - some heading to a wood in the distance and others to trees not far off. We watched. Nothing moved. We went back to some rape on the same farm and found a couple of hundred. We decided to give the beet a go for an hour or so. We set up at opposite ends of the field. Nothing really moved. It was cold. JDog shot three which passed by, myself nothing.
We moved back to the rape, I set up at the farm yard, with my back to some cattle pens. JDog walked to some trees on the far side. One pigeon came, decoyed and was shot. JDog shot one in the trees. Again nothing moved, and despite the numbers we had seen, they just didn't come back. The lack of wind didn't help. Before he departed, JDog drove back to the beet field and put up approx 500 pigeons! I am not sure we would have shot more than half a dozen if we had stayed there as they seemed to move en masse. We concluded they might have fed at first light and were just topping up later in the day. With some wind and milder conditions it could have been different.

Today, I have to go to work. I shall think of these outings.

Sounds a top week altogether fella.

Back to work next week too so not many chances left although if the weather forcast is correct ill try and make the most of it.

The big numbers of pigeons have moved from here but still have a few decent lots feeding on the rape.

Edited by sako751sg