Low incoming floating target

nicknsd1978

Totally baffled today in regards to a target which should have been so easy to hit. It was a fairly low incoming target which was sort of like a quartering target in reverse but much slower. Wasn’t coming straight at you but from an angle. It seemed so slow as though you could reach out and touch it...but for the life of me I couldn’t hit hit. Totally baffled by how you’d hit it

Mmmmm, I know what you mean. We now and then have one like this at Southwaite, which sets off low and gets even lower as it comes in, which requires a need to keep those muzzles lower than usual prior to mount. I find the best way is to give them no lead whatsoever, and just place that bead directly below the front edge. They can be misleading because this sort of target kills your swing, as none is needed; it’s almost a case of chopping it off. 

Edited by Scully

I had a stand like this a few weeks ago. Incoming from maybe 40yds or so up the field, ever so slightly right to left. When I hit it I shot well underneath and kept the barrel swinging down. Having to force yourself to consciously shoot lower than you think it should be didn’t feel natural, and thus I missed above the clay a couple of times.

Had a very similar target at a clay ground by me recently. The target was part of a sim pair representing something like decoyed pigeons coming in to land.

Taken as a sim pair you had to attack the target shooting underneath and just in front of each bird. This I found easier than taking them as singles on report.

The O/R target sucked you in and you could end up rifling the target and missing behind and probably over the top.

I found the best technique was to shoot gun down as you had to wait for what seemed like an age before the target got to the kill zone. 

Sometimes you have to watch a target with your arm up pointing  your finger. Imaging pulling the trigger where you think you would shoot it, count a second and see where the target is. That where to.point your gun to try and hit it.

No target is stationary even though they appear to stop,they're always moving.

Pmd you 

Edited by figgy

I hate these targets and those which are called "fading crows" (where they fly up, look like they are stopping and then fade down).

As above, the key is that they are never actually stationary.

Shoot slightly in front of the target (along the line of flight) and then underneath it. It's the underneath bit that is key. (I've just re-read above and it's as per Fishing Richie).

21 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

I’m eager to get out again and shoot this one...thinking back I don’t know where I was trying to shoot it

If you are shooting 'gun up' or pre mounted, you may just be tracking it and then looking at your gun. As already said,  impossible really, without seeing the target.