What I learnt today!

Wingman

Went off for a few hours down an AGL using my Perazzi today. The bead broke off a few weeks ago and I haven’t bothered to replace it I also grabbed a slab of 21G cartridges as my stocks are running low at the moment and these were the only clay loads I had. We’ll have to say I had probably the best round in months! I was hitting some of the more difficult high driven birds but did struggle on one stand which is a super high driven midi. Only chipped one out of the five on this stand. Don’t know why but these light cartridges seemed to smoke the clays I hit more so than my usual 28’s.

So I’ve learnt that I don’t need a bead on my gun and won’t be replacing it soon (although it looks a bit rough as the shank snapped off in the hole). I’ll also be using 21’s again for sure. Don’t know if I was just having a good day but these things feel like they made a difference!

23 minutes ago, oowee said:

On my first trip to Africa I was given a gun to use by (Richard Mumford a coach at Bisley) that had no bead. I was very sceptical but have not used one since. 

It is particularly useful swapping between rifle and shotgun and takes away the tendency to aim. 

100% in my view. I never look at the barrel/gun/bead, I just concentrate on the target.   Turn round now and point at something, you don't have sights on your finger, do you. In my view and that is how my grandfather taught me to shoot 70yrs ago, just look at the target and if the gun fits you will be succesful and centre the pattern regardless of the load. BUT, there agin I'm an old fogey who knows nothing.

I dont have beads on my shottys either..

Looking down my mates last weekend with a bright red bead on the end .just made me aim it more. Not so ideal for a shotgun .

Although i find with  a red circle (red dot scope ) i dont aim it and it feels natural .

Edited by Ultrastu

4 minutes ago, nicknsd1978 said:

I’m so tempted to take my bead off. Are they easy to put back on if required...for me I can totally understand the logic of NOT having one. For me it’s just an inconvenience. If your not meant to look at it then why have one anyway?

They just unscrew and you can get blanking plugs to close the hole. I found it completely unnerving and convinced myself i would be hopeless. After a couple of days I was shooting ducks in total darkness against a night sky. 

I have just painted my bead black with some black nail polish...I’ll see how I get on. Been shooting today and still finding that unconsciously I’m shooting too low...that mysterious bead that we aren’t supposed to look at my brain is saying it needs to be below the target. Lift the gun up and I’m hitting them one after another

My gun shop had a variety of them and including grub screws to fill the gap. 

You could try running a strip of electrical tape from the rib over the bead and down the other side. It wont last long but might imitate what the gun would be like without the bead. Don't know if it would work but might be worth a try. 

It really doesn’t matter whether the bead is there or not;  if you’re concentrating on the target you won’t see either the bead or your muzzle.

To claim shooting without a bead improves your shooting ( I’m not suggesting anyone  has ) isn’t logical, it merely suggests you’re now concentrating on your target. If you are aware of the bead it means your concentration isn’t where it should be or the bead is so obvious it’s a distraction. 

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

It really doesn’t matter whether the bead is there or not;  if you’re concentrating on the target you won’t see either the bead or your muzzle.

To claim shooting without a bead improves your shooting ( I’m not suggesting anyone  has ) isn’t logical, it merely suggests you’re now concentrating on your target. If you are aware of the bead it means your concentration isn’t where it should be or the bead is so obvious it’s a distraction. 

Spot on sir👏🏻👏🏻

Sorry didn’t get a chance to update on this until now. I went out for a stroll on my permission Sunday lunchtime instead of clays. Didn’t see much but managed to bag a couple of woodies and a crow pretty easy shots though. I don’t usually use the Perazzi for rough shooting but did this time and it seems fine beadless! Still might get a gunsmith to replace it with a simple brass bead though just to make the gun look better. 

On 20/01/2019 at 10:44, sabel25 said:

Funny enough just lost my bead halfway through a pheasant shoot  yesterday  Must've worked it's way loose and no sign of it in the slip

But made no difference to my shooting

I'll just contact Anglo Italia and have it replaced

Rang Anglo Italia Tuesday new bead arrived this morning FOC

Hows that for after sales service

On 22/01/2019 at 20:48, Scully said:

If you cannot see the bead or muzzle you have no idea what lead you are giving or where you are shooting. I can always see the muzzle when shooting, I just don't focus on it

Yes, I agree, perhaps I should have more accurately said you won’t be ‘aware’ of the muzzle. You MUST concentrate on the target; good gun fit and a consistent mount means you see the barrels peripherally. If you’re aware of the bead itself or the barrels in sharp focus, then you’re not concentrating on the target.