No fallow this year so far!

shootgun

I'm well down on fallow does cull figures this season so far, and no matter how hard i tried, looks like they are vanished from the land.

On the other hand i noticed a massive increase in roe and muntjac numbers, on both Surrey and Sussex permisions.

Despite being successful 4 out of 5 outings (yesterday seen 5 roe but stopped shooting them) i would like to see the fallow back .

Anyone having the same issue?

34mNQUd.jpg

4y2dJPo.jpg

avLW03b.jpg

3zWirap.jpg

My experience of fallow is they are here today gone tomorrow unles you have a very large area to stalk.  Munties and roe tend to stick to their territories and roe in particular can almost be guaranteed to be in the same bit of ground every day.   I would think the feed value is higher somewhere else at the moment.  Bucks may have slid off to small copses where they don't get disturbed.  Could always guarantee to see a party of prickets and young bucks in two small copses about this time of year and then in a couple of months they would be gone back into the big woodland.

Nice little muntie.  I never complain about one of them. They are in my view the best eating of any deer / antelope I have eaten.

Edited by Walker570

42 minutes ago, sako751sg said:

Some nice beasts fella.

Thanks mate!

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice little muntie.  I never complain about one of them. They are in my view the best eating of any deer / antelope I have eaten.

Agree with you, but there are the most difficult to skin...

40 minutes ago, shootgun said:

Thanks mate!

Agree with you, but there are the most difficult to skin...

Yep, they are tough skinned little divels.  I like to hang my deer for a few days to mature but find that it is better to skin munties straight away....neither is easy. BUT they are worth it.

Just gave a backstrap to a friend who had never eaten it before and told him to just take the silverskin off, cut it into 1 1/2 inch steaks slightly crossways, flatten the steaks a bit and then fast fry in butter and a bit of crushed garlic in a hot skillet. saw him today and he couldn't stop talking about it, begiing for more.

23 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, they are tough skinned little divels.  I like to hang my deer for a few days to mature but find that it is better to skin munties straight away....neither is easy. BUT they are worth it.

Just gave a backstrap to a friend who had never eaten it before and told him to just take the silverskin off, cut it into 1 1/2 inch steaks slightly crossways, flatten the steaks a bit and then fast fry in butter and a bit of crushed garlic in a hot skillet. saw him today and he couldn't stop talking about it, begiing for more.

I never bother taking the backstraps off the munties, i'm just cooking the whole saddle. With fallow is a different story though...