Dumped Pheasants...

WelshAndy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this on Facebook via the shootinguk page. I doesn’t paint the shooting community in a very good light and just gives the antis even more reason to debate our sport. I would hope it’s an isolate case and not something that happens all round the country.

I might be wrong but I think the pheasants being dumped was actually what was left after they had been breasted out so not really dumped pheasants. Still not good when they could have got a bin from the local knacker company  and got rid of the waste that way. 

Didn't read like that from BASC.  Any other BASC members get the e mail??

45 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I might be wrong but I think the pheasants being dumped was actually what was left after they had been breasted out so not really dumped pheasants. Still not good when they could have got a bin from the local knacker company  and got rid of the waste that way. 

53 minutes ago, bluesj said:

If this can be shown and then put in the media great... But wont expect to read this news.. Also why not put them back in the ground, will actually feed all sorts and numerous insects and be good for the land. Typical idiot anti's stirring it up.

Ive just come home from a shoot today.. And the keeper gave myself and a mate 100 partridge, in feather. He has to pay to get them gone normally. there were no prepared birds left and we said we'd take some feathered on and he came back with the 50 brace saying we could have them. A great offer and one we didn't think twice about. 

Just seen this tonight when i got in  shootinguk site    Done by Hunt saboteurs association

Probably breasted out But it is not allowed, to bury any dead carcasses unlawfully whether cow  sheep  pig  etc

As i do not condone this practice  There are some underlying issues regarding the game dealers and government practices that need addessing

Last season the dealers were paying 75p per bird This season the estastes have to pay the dealers 45p per bird for them to collect them

I take as many birds as i can and pass them on to friends and family Just recently i was asked by an associate where he could get a small quantity of birds for his dad at reasonable cost as he could'nt find out where he could get fresh game Hence i got him 20 brace and his dad was over the moon

Another work  mate rings me every season who takes around 40 brace

Soemthing is not right where there are people wanting game birds but do not know where to get them

Edited by sabel25

18 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

If this can be shown and then put in the media great... But wont expect to read this news.. Also why not put them back in the ground, will actually feed all sorts and numerous insects and be good for the land. Typical idiot anti's stirring it up.

Ive just come home from a shoot today.. And the keeper gave myself and a mate 100 partridge, in feather. He has to pay to get them gone normally. there were no prepared birds left and we said we'd take some feathered on and he came back with the 50 brace saying we could have them. A great offer and one we didn't think twice about. 

Me too in scotland

All birds were taken by the guns for human consumption After first asking the beaters if they would like some

Game dealer need to shoulder a lot of the blame for the way the game market is.

Was an article in paper other day that M&S can't stock enough game, selling really well.

Don't see how it is anything to do with government thou (unless ur accusing game dealers of price fixing which they are)

I would imagine burying could be a grey area, as pheasants are not domestic livestock like sheep cows.

But strictly speaking (if law is the same for deer) when u bring birds back to larder they are then classed as larder waste so has to be dispossed off as commercial waste. At least thats the way it is with deer, fine to leave gralloch/pluck out in field if carried out in field but by rights if u took the beast back to larder to gralloch it then should be disposed of as larder/commercial waste.

So in theory if u breasted all birds in field it would be legal to bury any waste

Ps why do u not agree with burying carasses that most of the meat has been taken off??

Surley its more environmentally friendly than incenerating them esp if have to be transported of site.

As long as meat taken off i don't see a problem

4 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Game dealer need to shoulder a lot of the blame for the way the game market is.

Was an article in paper other day that M&S can't stock enough game, selling really well.

Don't see how it is anything to do with government thou (unless ur accusing game dealers of price fixing which they are)

I would imagine burying could be a grey area, as pheasants are not domestic livestock like sheep cows.

But strictly speaking (if law is the same for deer) when u bring birds back to larder they are then classed as larder waste so has to be dispossed off as commercial waste. At least thats the way it is with deer, fine to leave gralloch/pluck out in field if carried out in field but by rights if u took the beast back to larder to gralloch it then should be disposed of as larder/commercial waste.

So in theory if u breasted all birds in field it would be legal to bury any waste

Ps why do u not agree with burying carasses that most of the meat has been taken off??

Surley its more environmentally friendly than incenerating them esp if have to be transported of site.

As long as meat taken off i don't see a problem

I am not in a dissagreement with burying game carcasses but the way it was carried out due to the sensitive issues regarding  game and game shoots

All wildlife thrive on dead carcasses and fully agree

Incidently a farmers cow or sheep dies in the field he/she is not allowed to bury it but has to be collected and incinerated

Thats because a farmers sheep/cow is domestic livestock a pheasant or deer isn't, i'm guessing the rules will be similar for deer to smal game about larder waste etc.

But it could be a bit of a grey area with reguards to burying them.

To be quite honest i think the whole thing is a set up (i couldn't get video clip to play) NO shoot is going to bury pheasants in plain view of anti's (wether breasted out or not)

Have a search throu this forum been quite a few very similar stories with various photos claiming to be something but usually nnly a very smal number of carcasses about a the same age and often clearly breasted out if u know wot to look for (not that its hard to see the exposed breast bone)

9 hours ago, Scully said:

All the carcasses were what remained after processing. I’ll post a link to the CA email I received regarding this matter tomorrow sometime. It isn’t whole/ entire carcasses dumped, it is the processed carcasses. 

Different matter altogether then.  Not what my e mail was about.  I can see little problem in that as long as not near a water course..

Surely the fundamental issue is too many pheasants etc are being bred and shot when there is no market for them. Labour have plans in their manifesto to restrict or ban the rearing of game intensively. Its up to the shooting community to put its house in order or have regulation foisted on us

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

Surely the fundamental issue is too many pheasants etc are being bred and shot when there is no market for them. Labour have plans in their manifesto to restrict or ban the rearing of game intensively. Its up to the shooting community to put its house in order or have regulation foisted on us

But how do you foretell how many the market will take? How do you breed a minimum amount needed based on what the market will take? 

Say a shoot plans to sell sixteen 300 bird days; based on percentages of birds lost via disease, extreme weather, roadkill or predation, how many poults do you order? I doubt very much it’s an exact science. It’s up to shooting estates to diversify to cater for fluctuations in markets, many other industries have had to do it.