Dumped Pheasants...

WelshAndy

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve just read Glensers letter in response to the Times piece, and indeed BASC have distanced themselves to the extent they have reported the shoot. Have the CA done likewise? 

Edited to say, the CA have condemned the practise, as have BASC, which is fair enough.

Does anyone know which anti organisation was behind this? 

But has anyone ( basc, ca, gwct) actually spoken to the estate to find out if these were whole birds being dumped, or prepped (breast out) birds that are being buried. At the moment the estate os being held accountable for something no one actually knows if true or not. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

But has anyone ( basc, ca, gwct) actually spoken to the estate to find out if these were whole birds being dumped, or prepped (breast out) birds that are being buried. At the moment the estate os being held accountable for something no one actually knows if true or not. 

They had been breasted. Was just the carcass 

6 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

The birds had been processed, which means it was just the carcasses dumped. It’s in the CA article I posted a link to. 

5 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

They had been breasted. Was just the carcass 

So if this is the case why have basc reported them and the CA distanced from it? Apart from burning them or putting them in the bin what should they do? 

Also why is it okay to secretly film after trespassing to put the cameras up. Now i know why i dont ever buy a rag... Complete tat reporting with hidden agendas 

Or have i missed parts of the thread as im half asleep today. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Again, you can’t just throw out sweeping generalisations like that without proof. Why do people insist on doing this, particularly shooters; it makes us no better than the antis. If it is true then it needs dealing with, but you can’t just throw out statements like that without being prepared to back it up. So where have you got this info’ from? 

It is true and we know it i won't give away the estate as i beat there we all turn a blind eye when it suits us  

Edited by Rim Fire

I've said before, it would be better to self regulate than have rules forced upon us.

I only said 5 or 6 thousand as to me that seems like a lot of birds, when you get into the ten and twenty thousand then i really think you need to be showing its more than just about shooting.

The general public turn a blind eye to how many chickens are reared, and the conditions there living in so long as the majority get a cheap bird, pheasant are smaller dearer and seen as fancy food.

As for journalists only reporting what they want? Since when has that ever been any different.

And Basc & CA need complaints from all members about not backing up this estate, divided we fall and all that.

25 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Who appear to have been incredibly quiet on this.

Unfortunately not that quiet, seemingly that have called the estate 'abinmation' (sp??) on the fielfdsports channel (came up when i googled theestate)

All the orgs are shocking, i tend to try to stick up for basc but for the orgs simply to believe an illegally filmed story without finding any facts is really sickening

They all need a massive kick up the bum and are failing shooting massively

Okay so I have emailed my region of basc asking why they have distanced themselves etc

Reply below 

Afternoon

Yes we do know who and where it was.

The birds had apparently been breasted out, but it is still improper disposal & cannot be supported.

Any other comment on the matter will currently be as per the response from Peter Glenser

I have read the Times article and seen various links to this .

It is a Leicestershire shoot , look closely at the video photographs , not all the birds have been breasted , some are complete (possibly not fit for human consumption).

But the evilness in all this is that it was filmed by Hunt sabotuers , West Midlands League against Sports . So obviously the faceless ones were trespassing.

Will anyone prosecute them or cause an outcry????? 

We need to realise that there are lots of unsavoury things happen in life .

What should a small shoot do if it had a lot of diseased birds and no incinerator?

I do not think that what as been filmed is correct practice , but I think it is causing far too much adverse publicity .

I didn't receive much support when I was accosted and abused by Sabs at Boxing Day Hunt meet in Newport Shropshire , should I have lashed out and been prosecuted for Assault or causing an affray ?

( I was spectating with my working dogs , not part of the hunt ).

27 minutes ago, Salopian said:

I have read the Times article and seen various links to this .

It is a Leicestershire shoot , look closely at the video photographs , not all the birds have been breasted , some are complete (possibly not fit for human consumption).

But the evilness in all this is that it was filmed by Hunt sabotuers , West Midlands League against Sports . So obviously the faceless ones were trespassing.

Will anyone prosecute them or cause an outcry????? 

We need to realise that there are lots of unsavoury things happen in life .

What should a small shoot do if it had a lot of diseased birds and no incinerator?

I do not think that what as been filmed is correct practice , but I think it is causing far too much adverse publicity .

I didn't receive much support when I was accosted and abused by Sabs at Boxing Day Hunt meet in Newport Shropshire , should I have lashed out and been prosecuted for Assault or causing an affray ?

( I was spectating with my working dogs , not part of the hunt ).

This season we lost birds to disease, i had to bag and bin them, not huge scale but still had dead birds. If someone had found them in the bin would i be subject to one sided journalism, can probably guarantee I would be. Unfortunately the loid minority rule, and the silent majority sit back and take it. 

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

It is true and we know it i won't give away the estate as i beat there we all turn a blind eye when it suits us  

So because the estate you beat on does it gives you justification to claim the ‘big estates do it  all the time’ ? You’ve beaten on them all have you? 

I can assure you the BIG estate I beat on doesn’t do it. Care to mention the ‘big estates’ which you claim do it? Silly question, of course you don’t care to, just like everyone else who makes these claims. Doesn’t turning a blind eye make you part of the problem, if indeed there is a problem; after all, it isn’t the disposal of carcasses that is the issue here ( every shooter up and down the country has carcasses to dispose of at one time or another ) just the method in which it was done. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Who appear to have been incredibly quiet on this.

They are my representstives....I’ll see what I can find out. 

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Why beat there if they dispose like this? If they were usable and not used. If breasted then dispose properly. This kind of attitude os why we as a community are screwed. I took on 100 in feather partridge this weekend because the shoot couldn't move them on, they didnt dig a hole and dump them and that was a large estate! So no not all shoots do it! 

The biggest bag we shoot in our syndicate is around the 50 mark. There are 12 guns and if they all take a brace that leaves 26 birds. Should we stop shooting when we reach 24? I know for a fact that most of those in our syndicate breast out their birds. I’ll ask them what they do with the carcasses. 

Im not condoning bulldozing carcasses into a pit if it contravenes law, but should commercial estates who are struggling to find a buyer for their birds tell guns wanting 300 bird days that they can only shoot as many birds as they can take away with them? 

What do we do with all the pigeons we shoot? We don’t have an outlet but we do breast as much as we need, but what about all those corvids? Our farmers tell us to ‘just bung em in the hedge bottom, there’ll be nowt there come morning’. What about all those rabbits landowners ask us to shoot? 

For all those calling for self regulation, what exactly does that mean? What would you do? 

Edited by Scully

39 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Why beat there if they dispose like this? If they were usable and not used. If breasted then dispose properly. This kind of attitude os why we as a community are screwed. I took on 100 in feather partridge this weekend because the shoot couldn't move them on, they didnt dig a hole and dump them and that was a large estate! So no not all shoots do it! 

The estate i beat on DOES NOT bury their birds either

What we and the guns do not take They are collected by the game dealer

Christmas has come and gone Where are all the millions of  turkey & chicken & goose carcasses gone haha  Into the bloody wheely bin and into landfill to be buried

The Times article today also made out only 3m of 50m released get into the food chain but where does our 40% of the 2,000 we release which are all taken by Guns and neighbours feature in the statistics? In addition to the couple of brace I take on shoot days I have also taken 40 or so from my beating days. I don't think the Press understand there is generosity in the countryside! Another factor which we will never explain to the non-shooting world is the stupidity of the pheasant which tries to commit suicide in a hundred different ways - a little like sectors of our society with drugs, fast food etc etc. 

13 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

The Times article today also made out only 3m of 50m released get into the food chain but where does our 40% of the 2,000 we release which are all taken by Guns and neighbours feature in the statistics? In addition to the couple of brace I take on shoot days I have also taken 40 or so from my beating days. I don't think the Press understand there is generosity in the countryside! Another factor which we will never explain to the non-shooting world is the stupidity of the pheasant which tries to commit suicide in a hundred different ways - a little like sectors of our society with drugs, fast food etc etc. 

That’s something you would have to ask the Times. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

They are my representstives....I’ll see what I can find out.  

From The Times, page 17, Jan 17: "Liam Bell, chairman of the National Gamekeepers Organisation, said that the video showed "an abomination"  and called for the perpetrators to face justice.

Edited by stagboy

1 minute ago, stagboy said:

From The Times, page 17, Jan 17: "Liam Bell, chairman of the National Gamekeepers Organisation, said that the video showed "an abomination"  and called for the perpetrators to face justice.

Fair enough; it appears the Times article has all our representatives running scared. 

The NGO has come out strongly to condemn the dumping of breasted dead pheasant carcasses into a pit by a digger, which was caught on camera by animal activists and featured in an article in the Times newspaper today (17th January 2019).

Liam Bell, Chairman of the NGO said:

“The National Gamekeepers’ Organisation is deeply dismayed by this recent video, apparently showing the illegal disposal of pheasant carcasses. We absolutely condemn this appalling incident, especially as game represents a healthy and nutritious food source. The perpetrators of this abomination should face the full force of the law. Responsible shooting estates work hard to ensure that they have developed sustainable markets for their shot game, whilst following best practice guidelines for the processing and selling of their game meat. ”