Dumped Pheasants...

WelshAndy

Another article in the Times today from the same journalist, but this time suggesting the "Shooting lobby snubs bid to save birds of prey"

It would seem that Jerome Starkey, Countryside Correspondent has a very deliberate agenda.

Not sure why an establishment paper like The Times is pursuing this sort of agenda, a sympathetic sub editor perhaps.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

Another article in the Times today from the same journalist, but this time suggesting the "Shooting lobby snubs bid to save birds of prey"

It would seem that Jerome Starkey, Countryside Correspondent has a very deliberate agenda.

Not sure why an establishment paper like The Times is pursuing this sort of agenda, a sympathetic sub editor perhaps.  

heres some of his earlier articles.. seems to be having a go at everyone, including the RSPB employing blood sport enthusiast's !

https://muckrack.com/jerome-starkey/articles

As Neil has said to me this is the grey area that remains untested! As he understood he was doing nothing wrong as all birds had been breasted out. The game farm use commercial waste for their losses in accordance with the law!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

12 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Why beat there if they dispose like this? If they were usable and not used. If breasted then dispose properly. This kind of attitude os why we as a community are screwed. I took on 100 in feather partridge this weekend because the shoot couldn't move them on, they didnt dig a hole and dump them and that was a large estate! So no not all shoots do it! 

No body said all shoots do it but it do  happen as for why beat there why not its like watching Fox hounds you know it is against the law but you watch and follow any way as i said we are blinkered when it suits us  

11 hours ago, Scully said:

The biggest bag we shoot in our syndicate is around the 50 mark. There are 12 guns and if they all take a brace that leaves 26 birds. Should we stop shooting when we reach 24? I know for a fact that most of those in our syndicate breast out their birds. I’ll ask them what they do with the carcasses. 

Im not condoning bulldozing carcasses into a pit if it contravenes law, but should commercial estates who are struggling to find a buyer for their birds tell guns wanting 300 bird days that they can only shoot as many birds as they can take away with them? 

What do we do with all the pigeons we shoot? We don’t have an outlet but we do breast as much as we need, but what about all those corvids? Our farmers tell us to ‘just bung em in the hedge bottom, there’ll be nowt there come morning’. What about all those rabbits landowners ask us to shoot? 

For all those calling for self regulation, what exactly does that mean? What would you do? 

It's the same with anything we shoot do every shooter take home what they shoot and dispose of the carcases no they dont 

I can just see Fox shooters taking home what they have shot  

26 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

No body said all shoots do it but it do  happen as for why beat there why not its like watching Fox hounds you know it is against the law but you watch and follow any way as i said we are blinkered when it suits us  

It's the same with anything we shoot do every shooter take home what they shoot and dispose of the carcases no they dont 

I can just see Fox shooters taking home what they have shot  

Fox hounds aren't against the law!? Its a crazy law full of loop holes but running a pack of dogs isn't against the law unless they intentionally go out for the fox. Drag hunt perfectly legal. 

Also i eat everything edible that I shoot. And anything that is not taken is either into the local farm shop or butcher frok the shoots I beat and shoot on. There are outlets if the shoot decides to look for them. 

28 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Fox hounds aren't against the law!? Its a crazy law full of loop holes but running a pack of dogs isn't against the law unless they intentionally go out for the fox. Drag hunt perfectly legal. 

Also i eat everything edible that I shoot. And anything that is not taken is either into the local farm shop or butcher frok the shoots I beat and shoot on. There are outlets if the shoot decides to look for them. 

you are one in a thousand and we all know Fox hunting still go on i follow hounds myself but i dont preach that i am squeaky clean as i said we are blinkered when it suits us

As for eating every edible that include squirrel rat crow  they are all edible 

Edited by Rim Fire

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

you are one in a thousand and we all know Fox hunting still go on i follow hounds myself but i dont preach that i am squeaky clean as i said we are blinkered when it suits us

As for eating every edible that include squirrel rat crow  they are all edible 

I eat squirrel yes, have eaten crow, not a fan but I have done. Don't shoot rats.

Must say I’m rather disappointed in the reactions of our so called representative organisations regarding this matter. Even the CA ( from their email ) seem unsure as to whether this is definitely unlawful, yet the estate has been lambasted by all. 

I have had no response from the NGO, but will persevere. 

14 hours ago, Scully said:

14 hours ago, Scully said:

Must say I’m rather disappointed in the reactions of our so called representative organisations regarding this matter. Even the CA ( from their email ) seem unsure as to whether this is definitely unlawful, yet the estate has been lambasted by all. 

I have had no response from the NGO, but will persevere. 

My response from basc says because its not the right way of disposing they have to take that stance.

This link has some information, mainly about shops/catering, but guess the rule applies to all businesses food waste 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-food-businesses-must-dispose-of-food-and-former-foodstuffs

The person I was speaking to showed me the link but is unsure if there are collections for food waste of that size/amount. But knows the estate has admitted that they were disposing and the video is showing the actual event. 

I did then point out the camera was unlawfully put up and trespass had occurred. Which they agree with but have little or no leg to stand on with regards to reporting / an arrest or slap on wrist happening. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Reading this is a bit of a concern. It looks very unclear. 😞 

+1

Reading through it a lot of 'mays' when refering to pheasants and even parts of pheasants, my take on reading that is its fine to bury but we'd rather u didn't but it really doesn't give any set in stone advice.

Was just going to have a look at basc's own guidelines but  their site could be down or my computer playing up