Hammering the pigeons

Wilksy II

Inspired by Agamans gun christening thread and not having a lot of success decoying rape recently I thought a spot of roost shooting was on the cards this evening. I’d breasted six brace of pheasants and brace of French that I’d been gifted and was in the wood for 3pm, it’s a small old wood with a couple of high ash trees surrounded by elder and hawthorn, nothing to look at but the pigeons seem to like it. I though I’d take my old hammer gun as it hasn’t had outing for a fair while, I purchased it from our resident gun peddler wabbitbosher a couple of years ago and I’d seen Jdog recently and he had asked if I’d been using it as I’d dropped in at his on the way back from Kettering to buy it and christened it roost shooting with him! 

There wasn’t a jot of wind and there’s no rape in the immediate area so I wasn’t confident of a shot but as often said it just nice to be out, but they obliged and came in ones and twos some landing some wizzing over, I stayed till 4:15 with 10 pigeons for 21 shots, a ratio helped by two for one! Not a huge amount but I’ve recently sat for four hours for 5 pigeons (all be it a crop protection exercise) so it felt like a busy hour and a quarter!

07ED703C-C06C-493A-BD8B-94FF7189B312.jpeg

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Ah Wilksy, off the nest then out shooting pigeons. The perfect Sunday.

Yes! It rare for me to get out with a gun on a Sunday but I don’t think I was even missed!

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Something special about using a hammer gun to knock down a few pigeons on a sunday. 👍

Nice day out. 

Your not wrong oowee! It’s not a gun for big day in the hide but perfect for just such an outing 

Glad to hear my post inspired you Mr Wilks. I love to be out in any sort of woodland at this time of year, it is a great environment to collect  you're thoughts and a real bonus if the pigeons turn up as there is also a memorable shot or two.

Sounds like you shoot pretty well with that old hammer gun, perhaps it will take centre stage during February roost shoots?

Edited by aga man

Good to know you also enjoy some time out with your hammer gun Wilksy , I have got two , although one is Black powder with damascus barrels that dont see much action nowadays , my other one is a T Wild nitro prof , this one I like to give it some fresh air from time to time in a hide shooting over stubble with no magnet and just a few decoys , a testament of the gun trade to be shooting this day and age with a gun that is nearly 100 years old .

Very nice report and photo .