Hearing loss- anyone suffer?

eddoakley

How frustrating!!

For as ling as I can remember it has felt like I have pressure in my right ear and I can't here very well on that side. Imagine how it feels when you fly or if your head is under water. Something like that.

I put it down to work or shooting and just moved on.

A couple if weeks ago I flew to Spain and my ears never recovered from popping on the flight. I was hoping it would just sort itself out but the constant pressure, humming sounds, hearing myself breathe or chew or swallow just got too much. Not to mention Mrs Edd complaining that the tv was too loud and that I was ignoring her.

So a hearing test has determined "severe" hearing loss on both sides.

Fortunately it seems that the good news is that the nerves work as they should and the issue is between the outside and the nerve which is apparently likely to be a relatively easy fix (possibly grommets).

But jeez it's driving me nuts. Have booked to see a consultant next Saturday as GP was likely to take months.

I seriously hope it gets sorted quickly as it's more difficult than I would have ever thought.

Eds

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, team tractor said:

My dads 67 and just been told he could do with hearing aids. £3000 😮 .

oh and after paying in since 15 with not a single stage of unemployment in all this time , the nhs can’t help

Makes you wonder why you bother doesn't it!?!?

Surely that should be provided on NHS.

I asked about hearing aids, in fact that's why I had an appointment but although it was only the initial consultation in a high street shop it seems that my problem can likely be solved without hearing aids and that in fact they wouldn't help anyway.

I've booked privately and it seems that if the solution is grommets then it will cost around £3k.

Edd

12 minutes ago, team tractor said:

oh and after paying in since 15 with not a single stage of unemployment in all this time , the nhs can’t help

Something wrong there . Your dad  will be entitled to lemonades on the nhs .

harnser

11 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Having got far too close to far too many small fast jets -  sitting in the cockpit with 2 turning and burning at Max Mil power is not helpful in this respect - so I've been caught out. Did £3000 come from a high street concern? I'll be very surprised if NHS aids cannot be supplied.

Anyone fortunate enough to be getting older will have some hearing loss, what we as shooters can do,  is reduce the amount and severity by wearing some kind of protection. 

Edd try some decongestants, i take Sudafed a few hours before flying.  i suffer with pressure in my ears every time I fly that brings tears to me eye's the pain is unbearable.  

23 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Do not get caught out on this. He is entitled to free hearing aids on the NHS I recently got mine. I am 82. The ones I have for free. Free batteries for life too are identical to ones my brother in law has just paid £2000 for private. Some twit told him NHS would not supply.

Yep, probably falling asleep against disco speakers in my youth, working in a manufacturing environment and shooting in the early days when people were ignorant of the damage caused.

Can range from a low hum, to a high squeal, to a whoosing sound. The most annoying I find is when you can hear your heartbeat in both ears. The more quiet it is the more you will notice it.

They say to have a background noise like a low volume radio.

When shotgunning I always use some sort of protection, as I do when zeroing rifles, but when I am out with the .223 or hmr for the odd shot I don't.

Do others do the same ?

OH reckons my hearing is growing worse, but after going to the doc's for ever so slight dizzy spells it turns out I've had a virus which has led to Labyrinthitis. I never shoot without hearing protection, but I'm not convinced I've got the best protection. I have several mates who wear no hearing protection at all when shooting. 

27 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Do not get caught out on this. He is entitled to free hearing aids on the NHS I recently got mine. I am 82. The ones I have for free. Free batteries for life too are identical to ones my brother in law has just paid £2000 for private. Some twit told him NHS would not supply.

Cheers I’ll mention it tomorrow 

38 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Having got far too close to far too many small fast jets -  sitting in the cockpit with 2 turning and burning at Max Mil power is not helpful in this respect - so I've been caught out. Did £3000 come from a high street concern? I'll be very surprised if NHS aids cannot be supplied.

First high street then told it’ll be the same at doc surgery 

42 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Something wrong there . Your dad  will be entitled to lemonades on the nhs .

harnser

He’d given up but I think it’s worth another try going off all the comments 👍

50 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Makes you wonder why you bother doesn't it!?!?

Surely that should be provided on NHS.

I asked about hearing aids, in fact that's why I had an appointment but although it was only the initial consultation in a high street shop it seems that my problem can likely be solved without hearing aids and that in fact they wouldn't help anyway.

I've booked privately and it seems that if the solution is grommets then it will cost around £3k.

Edd

I think I’ll show him some of the comments on here tomorrow. 

Hes a ****** for not wearing ear defenders on machines 

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Tell him to go straight back, Im 40 and got free hearing aids on the nhs.

24 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Cheers I’ll mention it tomorrow 

First high street then told it’ll be the same at doc surgery 

He’d given up but I think it’s worth another try going off all the comments 👍

My son who is 52 had free nhs hearing aids fitted last week . His hearing loss diagnosed to working in a noisy environment .

harnset

The very first chiropractic treatment was discovered in connection with a patient who suffered from hearing loss.

As for myself, I became deaf in one ear and lost my balance due to some malady which was never fully diagnosed.  MRI etc suggests probably not a mini stroke nor other sinister factor but it has been a bit of a weird ride for the last 18 months or so.

The deafness is permanent and got a hearing aid on the NHS, a Siemens RIC type which is quite manageable and gives me a bit more hearing though distorted. The balance is slowly getting better, there is physio available but only if I go private and it is very expensive. 

By the way,  with RIC it is easy to forget it's there and then put ear defenders on. Then you take a shot and realise oops! Also the first time I tried to put earplugs in having forgotten the device was in,  I wondered why I struggled with it so jammed in harder and that flipping well hurts!

Edited by John_R

Many people I know have spent out a few £1000s on 'in ear' or more discreet hearing aids thinking that they are getting the best, but also for vanity reasons. However, quite a lot of those have now reverted to NHS ones, finding that they are better. My hearing, like many on here, has been damaged for not wearing any protection whilst shooting for many years when younger due to ignorance of the eventual outcome. I now wear NHS hearing aids and am of the opinion that once a referral is made from your GP, you are then entitled to free hearing aids plus battery renewal for life.

It is usually the opposite ear to the shoulder that you shoot off that suffers most loss as that is less protected from muzzle blast.

OB

3 hours ago, eddoakley said:

How frustrating!!

For as ling as I can remember it has felt like I have pressure in my right ear and I can't here very well on that side. Imagine how it feels when you fly or if your head is under water. Something like that.

I put it down to work or shooting and just moved on.

A couple if weeks ago I flew to Spain and my ears never recovered from popping on the flight. I was hoping it would just sort itself out but the constant pressure, humming sounds, hearing myself breathe or chew or swallow just got too much. Not to mention Mrs Edd complaining that the tv was too loud and that I was ignoring her.

So a hearing test has determined "severe" hearing loss on both sides.

Fortunately it seems that the good news is that the nerves work as they should and the issue is between the outside and the nerve which is apparently likely to be a relatively easy fix (possibly grommets).

But jeez it's driving me nuts. Have booked to see a consultant next Saturday as GP was likely to take months.

I seriously hope it gets sorted quickly as it's more difficult than I would have ever thought.

Eds

We have hearing tests every year through work, I'm always told my hearing in my right ear is poor, and left isn't great, yeah well I've always thought noisy job, i haven't shot much just beaters days with shotguns and a few clay sessions every now and then years ago, but as others say it doesn't take much to damage your hearing. 

We had a new company come in last year, and the nurse managed to put the willy's up me by saying something else could be wrong with my ears not being the same.

Now the NHS get plenty of stick but doctors then sent for hearing tests then an MRI scan all within two weeks maybe? Nothing found that shouldn't be there, but i always wear ear protection now, whether in work, home or near the guns beating, and its worth trying different brands to find what's more comfortable as we're all different.

Be sure to make the youngsters whether at work or shooting wear there hearing protection.

43 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Thresholds of hearing loss for nhs hearing aid eligibility will vary by region depending what the local commissioning group fund. I understand generally things have been tightened up somewhat over the last few years. 

If that's the case, then I consider myself most fortunate, as I receive excellent service from my NHS audiologist who puts right any slight problems that I have, updates them to the latest models, replaces the small plastic tube thingies regularly and offers a cleaning service if required. Cannot complain at that. He too, tells me that several people have returned to him to get NHS aids after spending thousands privately and not being satisfied with them. 

OB