Hearing loss- anyone suffer?

eddoakley

I have some hearing loss - although I have been good about wearing protection.  Several relatives, none of whom were shooters also had hearing loss so I suspect genetics play a bit part.  I have also suffered from several ear infections throughout my life which may not have helped.  I am OK under most circumstances, but a noisy room (such as a party) makes hearing near impossible. 

I think in future I am going to have to avoid busy parties because this past Christmas I attended a very noisy party in a low ceilinged room - and was accused afterwards by family (and not in jest) that I was being offhand, inattentive and antisocial!  Truth is I couldn't hear a word, and myself and two other shooters, plus one other elderly neighbour gathered in a corner and 'observed' - as none of us could carry on a conversation.  The resultant increase in my tinnitus lasts several hours afterwards.

Many people don't realise how these situations can prevent hearing any conversation - because they have never suffered from it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Scully said:

OH reckons my hearing is growing worse, but after going to the doc's for ever so slight dizzy spells it turns out I've had a virus which has led to Labyrinthitis. I never shoot without hearing protection, but I'm not convinced I've got the best protection. I have several mates who wear no hearing protection at all when shooting. 

Scully. An observation if I may.

Some years back my GP diagnosed me with Labrynthitis. This was worrying for a number of reasons, not least of which was my scuba diving. In a boatyard I bumped in to a guy who turned out to be an ENT Consultant. As a chancer I mentioned my difficulty. He was cautious in his response but suggested from what I described that, with my GP, I look at "Benign Positional Vertigo" as more of a possibility. Apparently some similar symptoms can lead to confusion. There are BMI articles and self help exercises. I followed that advice and in my case it was indeed BPV. I have had no related issues since then.

On a personal note as to hearing loss (I'm 75). As a result of 5 yrs in rock bands in the 60's (lead guitar 2 X 30 watt vox's and stood next to 4 speaker column 100 watt PA) and at that time an old sxs without ear defenders it is said that I am now profoundly deaf over certain sound ranges. Both ears have aids. All on the NHS. Free battery supplies an annual checkup. 

48 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have some hearing loss - although I have been good about wearing protection.  Several relatives, none of whom were shooters also had hearing loss so I suspect genetics play a bit part.  I have also suffered from several ear infections throughout my life which may not have helped.  I am OK under most circumstances, but a noisy room (such as a party) makes hearing near impossible. 

I think in future I am going to have to avoid busy parties because this past Christmas I attended a very noisy party in a low ceilinged room - and was accused afterwards by family (and not in jest) that I was being offhand, inattentive and antisocial!  Truth is I couldn't hear a word, and myself and two other shooters, plus one other elderly neighbour gathered in a corner and 'observed' - as none of us could carry on a conversation.  The resultant increase in my tinnitus lasts several hours afterwards.

Many people don't realise how these situations can prevent hearing any conversation - because they have never suffered from it.

I can’t fathom why but I find I can make out conversation better in such situations with earplugs in and keep a pair in my wallet for those situations. 

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

It is usually the opposite ear to the shoulder that you shoot off that suffers most loss as that is less protected from muzzle blast.

OB

Mine is in my right ear and I'm right handed a RAF doctor told me it's because it's nearer the breach and not shielded by your skull, however apparently the skull conducts damaging sound.

Mine was made worse by SA80 5.56mm rifles as the breach is really near your ear and we were only issued yellow ear plugs which fall out the first time you dive too the ground.

A few years ago I was on a boat in Germany with my Boss, younger colleagues kept offering us seats which we refused on the grounds we both needed to keep our knackered knees moving. We agreed growing old wasn't fun but wouldn't swap perfect health for the times waking up covered in snow, frozen Boxing day shoots on the Moors, Section in Defence ranges  as dawn comes up over Northumberland or belting across Norfolk on a motorbike so fast a F15 flys down next to you for a look.

I do however wear proper protection now and make my son wear massive ear defenders.

Edited by Dibble

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My Father and I both have this he has been told it's called "Cocktail Party Deafness" I started to notice it 20 years ago when pubs ripped out carpets and soft seats, they must have adsorbed some background noise

I have always worn ear defenders as I used to work in very noisy machinery rooms, however my hearing has declined possibly due to a burst eardrum during the Falklands and also due to not being able to wear hearing protection when I was using pumps etc in the FS. Its not much at the moment, but I prefer to have the TV a notch or two higher than my wife does. I also don`t like diving down in water more than a couple of metres as I can feel the pressure building up and find it hard to equalise the pressure, sometimes it is the same with flights.

I wouldn`t like to lose much more, as it would take the joy out of a lot of simple things.

Edited by henry d

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

Scully. An observation if I may.

Some years back my GP diagnosed me with Labrynthitis. This was worrying for a number of reasons, not least of which was my scuba diving. In a boatyard I bumped in to a guy who turned out to be an ENT Consultant. As a chancer I mentioned my difficulty. He was cautious in his response but suggested from what I described that, with my GP, I look at "Benign Positional Vertigo" as more of a possibility. Apparently some similar symptoms can lead to confusion. There are BMI articles and self help exercises. I followed that advice and in my case it was indeed BPV. I have had no related issues since then.

On a personal note as to hearing loss (I'm 75). As a result of 5 yrs in rock bands in the 60's (lead guitar 2 X 30 watt vox's and stood next to 4 speaker column 100 watt PA) and at that time an old sxs without ear defenders it is said that I am now profoundly deaf over certain sound ranges. Both ears have aids. All on the NHS. Free battery supplies an annual checkup. 

Thanks for that Bobba. She did carry out quite a lengthy examination, and told me to come back if it didn’t clear in a week, which it hasn’t, so will mention this when I go back. Thanks again. 

I'm slowly getting that way. Last Christmas was my chronic tinnitus' 10th birthday. I've got used to it now, its been a hideous and upsetting companion. Some days its been like a mouse squeaking next door and others, like today, it's like I'm standing next to a chinook that's about to lift off. Either way my hearing is dropping off. But I am greatful its my ears and not my eyes that are failing me.

Edited by Pistol p

22 hours ago, team tractor said:

My dads 67 and just been told he could do with hearing aids. £3000 😮 .

oh and after paying in since 15 with not a single stage of unemployment in all this time , the nhs can’t help

I have hearing loss, mostly caused by Tinnitus. I've recently been examined at my local NHS hospital and have been measured up for a hearing aid. I'm 61 and have paid my NI contributios since I was 16.

9 hours ago, Dibble said:

My Father and I both have this he has been told it's called "Cocktail Party Deafness" I started to notice it 20 years ago when pubs ripped out carpets and soft seats, they must have adsorbed some background noise

The modern trend for houses and pubs etc to have `hard` surfaces, particularly rooms without soft furnishes (carpets and curtains) definitely exacerbates the ability to hear conversations clearly, particularly when there is background noise. Like JohnfromUK said above, conversation at parties is an absolute no-no if one has such hearing loss. Hearing aids of course help in one to one situations with no background noise but even with a `background cut out` programme on the aids, conversation is nigh on impossible in a crowded pub or party atmosphere.

I notice it particularly in my two daughter`s kitchens with solid floors etc. that the sound echoes badly and distorts my hearing. I`m also accused of being an unsociable old s-o-d and not joining in on the conversations.

OB

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’m going to force him to the doctors again I think 

The doctor should arrange a test for him at the hospital. My test was excellent and I was shown a graph of certain high pitch noises that I cannot hear. Also a few lower ones too. My Tinnitus in my opinion is worse than a few years ago. At first, I could only hear the high pitched whine I my ears if I was in a quite room etc. Now, I hear it all the time. I've learned to live with it for the past 35+ years. At the hospital, I was advised against paying for expensive hearing aids, as they do not do anything better than the NHS ones. The only difference is that they are smaller.

When I was a youngster in secondary school a history teacher came from behind and clapped both hands over both ears because I was talking. I felt "ping" and everything went quiet. Years later a doc said I had the biggest perforated eardrums he'd ever seen. If only I'd known then what I know now.

10 minutes ago, toxo said:

When I was a youngster in secondary school a history teacher came from behind and clapped both hands over both ears because I was talking. I felt "ping" and everything went quiet. Years later a doc said I had the biggest perforated eardrums he'd ever seen. If only I'd known then what I know now.

hello, that also happened to a school friend i knew , teacher slapped his ear so hard he eventually lost all hearing, 

As a teenager I shot with .303 and 12 bore, at a time when nobody seemed to use any ear protection at all.   Over the next 25 years I did virtually no shooting, but spent a lot of time spent around noisy machinery.   I don’t know whether it was the early shooting or the later workplace noise that caused my hearing to deteriorate.

Nowadays I have no difficulty at all when one person is speaking clearly, at a constant volume level.   I can watch films from the 1960s and hear every word , but most modern film and TV seems to drown out the dialogue with background sound effects, while the actors mumble nearly all of the time.  (Michael Portillo’s railway journey programmes on TV are a notable exception).

Oddly enough, when outdoors I am better than many other folk at pinpointing the direction from which a sound is coming.   Why should that be, I wonder?

On 21/01/2019 at 19:59, team tractor said:

I’m going to force him to the doctors again I think 

Tell him to ask his Doctor for an appointment at your local Hospital ENT department. They should arrange for him to have a hearing test. Following that, if he needs hearing aids, they will take ear moulds. He should get them fitted after a couple of weeks. Batteries are free, you just need to collect them. I have found our local audiology department to be great, with just one possible observation, the staff are NOT deaf  !