Hearing loss- anyone suffer?

eddoakley

39 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

As a teenager ........

I am very similar, though I have always used protection with my shotguns and exposure to noisy machinery was occasional.  Worst (and the start of my tinnitus) was 7.62 SLR with the muzzle flash reducer or whatever it was.  Worst when the person on the range next to you fired.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have an appointment with gp tomorrow and consultant on Saturday (which I may cancel depending on what the gp says) but for the past week I have had moments when my left ear, the one with more recent problem, has felt like it has popped and my hearing has been fine.

But that has only lasted for a few minutes as I can feel and hear the pressure building back up. It popped today and was fine for a couple of hours but now a hissing sound. 

Don't expect anything to happen very quickly via the gp route but you never know.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Edd

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

... 7.62 SLR with the muzzle flash reducer  ..... Worst when the person on the range next to you fired ......

..... especially if you were a few inches further forward than anybody else, then your ears really did catch the blast every time the neighbours fired.   It was the .303 Lee Enfield for us (cadets weren't issued with the SLR in my day), but still the Century Range at Bisley (100 targets in  line) could be a pretty noisy place.

Whilst we are far more aware of the effect of excessive noise in the workplace and in the use of guns, upon our hearing than we used to be, there is one area that appears not to bother too much. That is the younger generation and loud music, particularly the 'head banging' stuff.

I think that many of the above youngsters will suffer the same sort of hearing loss that we are now experiencing, again due to ignorance of the facts. It appears that not too much advice is given in this area.

OB

12 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am very similar, though I have always used protection with my shotguns and exposure to noisy machinery was occasional.  Worst (and the start of my tinnitus) was 7.62 SLR with the muzzle flash reducer or whatever it was.  Worst when the person on the range next to you fired.

Grenades were pretty bad as well

I couldnt hear a thing previously said ! 😉

Had my NHS aids for 9 years ( Guess too much noisey guitar playing and gunshots without ear protection), free and free for life batteries and maintenance, they always remain the property of the NHS and should be handed back when no longer needed .

i,m going to see the audio dept in my local hospital,,been working in heavy industry for over 40 years and i think i have tinnitus ,wore ear protion for most of that time but sometimes not,,had occupational hearing tests but never did a thing ,now as has been said i think i have cocktail party deafness .

when i say pardon people automatically raise their voices ,but its just that i cant make out what they are saying,,,same with watching tv,plus they will insist in playing music over the commentary,,,

i hopei get hearing aids fitted, whats the position with my MRA ear defenders do i have to remove my hearing aids while wearing the defenders??

7 hours ago, dabbers said:

whats the position with my MRA ear defenders do i have to remove my hearing aids while wearing the defenders??

I was wondering exactly the same, so look forward to anyone's answer to this.

OB

Anything covering your ears if your wearing standard aids can be a little uncomfortable or make a rustling noise as you move , I cant comment on other types.

Standard over the ear types in hot weather like last year can also make for Betty Swollocks syndrome of the ears. 

Edited by deny essex
addition

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I was wondering exactly the same, so look forward to anyone's answer to this.

OB

well when i put on my MRA electronic defenders i can hear very clearly,so woudl think that the hearing aid would have to come out ,unless you can swith the hearing aid of..suppose its all hypothetical till i actually try it, 

On 20/01/2019 at 20:49, 30-6 said:

Yep, probably falling asleep against disco speakers in my youth, working in a manufacturing environment and shooting in the early days when people were ignorant of the damage caused.

Can range from a low hum, to a high squeal, to a whoosing sound. The most annoying I find is when you can hear your heartbeat in both ears. The more quiet it is the more you will notice it.

They say to have a background noise like a low volume radio.

When shotgunning I always use some sort of protection, as I do when zeroing rifles, but when I am out with the .223 or hmr for the odd shot I don't.

Do others do the same ?

Worse, particularly at night, if you suffer from heart palpitations. Keeps you awake making sure that you hear the next beat eventually.

Currently waiting to see the consultant but already had more info from the GP a couple of days ago.

Left ear seemed to be "sticky" and may require a grommet. Right ear has "chronic perforation" which, as it's so bad and been like it for so long, is likely to be irreparable.

The left ear seems much improved since last week but not perfect so hopefully a simple fix....

Edd

1 hour ago, deny essex said:

Anything covering your ears if your wearing standard aids can be a little uncomfortable or make a rustling noise as you move , I cant comment on other types.

Standard over the ear types in hot weather like last year can also make for Betty Swollocks syndrome of the ears. 

Denny, cannot say that I've ever experienced Betty Swollocks syndrome of the ears. Other body parts, yes, but not ears :no:

OB

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:37, team tractor said:

I was convinced I’d got tinitus and white noise permanently. I’d got neck damage after a van crash and after 1 session it went. 

Im not saying yours is the same but it helped me plus sorted my headaches.

Thanks, that gives me hope.

I had an operation to cure sinus problems and fix my broken nose, which happened when I used to do full contact karate, anyway I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic and it took 6 guys to hold me down whilst I was trying to knock them out, and ever since then I have had the most painful neck and headaches. My sessions with the bone cruncher didn't help until 10 years later I had a different one instead of the normal guy I had a woman and she fixed it in two sessions, no more headache such a relief.

So maybe same as you and its worth a go.

Thanks.

On 22/01/2019 at 09:11, Bluebarrels said:

Went for an audio last week,got to be retested in 14 days,slight variation in left ear.Always had H1 results but now they feed the readings into the system and any variation throws out a retest,so hopefully the next test is H1.

Went in for retest yesterday,H1 in both ears,happy days.