.25 air.

Ultrastu

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Does the .03 difference in diameter make that much difference?  I know slightly heavier but would you need to go FAC to keep the velocity up.    What is the advantage if any at 12ftlb.

About 50% in terminal impact shock momentum (between a 14.5gr 22 and a 22gr 25) and there is a similar difference between 177 and 22 due to the 50% greater mass of the pellet, even though terminal kinetic energies will be quite similar.

To take it to extremes, if I was to fire a needle at 100,000ft/sec at you and it goes through your skin/muscle, you may not be aware of much besides a drop of blood on entry and exit. If i was to swing a demolition ball at you at 5 feet per second it will flatten you without penetrating, even though both may have similar kinetic energy.

Edited by Stonepark

Not sure that makes sense. The mass could be similar with a heavier .22 pellet.

Is it not the area across which energy is dissipated at impact that makes the difference? If the kinetic energy is the same then the energy in the .25 is spread over a larger area than the .22 so is imparted quicker (greater shock). The difference is not 50% but closer to 30%. 

.22 area is .152 .25 area is .196

Ah .im glad this has got a bit of interest .

The idea is to convert a sub 12 . 25 cal bsa .ideally an ultra  but also a scorpion into a fac airgun .running around 25 fpe. With h+n ftt .

I agree a .25 cal sub 12 is pretty useless im not massivley keen on sub 12 .22 .

Although ive just bought one this week. 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Does the .03 difference in diameter make that much difference?  I know slightly heavier but would you need to go FAC to keep the velocity up.    What is the advantage if any at 12ftlb.

There are some advantages of .25 cal pellets over .22 .

But these come in at higher speeds of over 700 fps. .

At sub 12 speeds they are generally negated 

46 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Ah .im glad this has got a bit of interest .

The idea is to convert a sub 12 . 25 cal bsa .ideally an ultra  but also a scorpion into a fac airgun .running around 25 fpe. With h+n ftt .

I agree a .25 cal sub 12 is pretty useless im not massivley keen on sub 12 .22 .

Although ive just bought one this week. 

There are some advantages of .25 cal pellets over .22 .

But these come in at higher speeds of over 700 fps. .

At sub 12 speeds they are generally negated 

hello, there is one for sale on gun trader in .25