New member here from Somerset/Bristol

Hi all,

New member here from Somerset/Bristol area.

Have had air rifles for a while, but recently started on clays.  Applied for an SGC and picked up ATA SP in 28” barrels, which so far am very happy with.

The good news is that both of my air rifle permissions have said they’re happy for me to use a shottie on them.  One especially lends itself better to walked up rather than stalking with an air rifle, due to the lack of cover.  I’ve taken the ATA out a couple of times now, and managed to take a couple of squirrels and a pigeon home for the pot.  I have noticed an odd phenomenon though, when I’m there with the air rifle, the squirrels will tend to bolt as I’m attempting to get within range, whereas when I have the shotgun, they’ll freeze and chatter/stare at me….clever squirrelys.

The other permission is denser, but there is a more open area where the land owner has suggested I construct a hide.   He does want me to use a .410 though, due to noise/neighbour considerations, so it’s not entirely straightforward.  I’ve ordered a pair of little skeeters, which I know don’t necessarily facilitate the best patterning, but so far every 410 shottie I’ve tried at the RFD is small and doesn’t shoulder particularly well.  Will stick with the air rifle for now, waiting under sitties at dusk until I get competent with the smaller gauge.  Any advice gratefully received.

Would like to try wildfowling too, though I appreciate there’s likely a waiting list involved with that!

Anyway, I spent a pleasant hour on the sofa yesterday reading threads and generally learning from the hive mind on here, am sure I will have plenty of questions.

Thanks for the welcome all…

20 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

you are very lucky to have such nice landowners

Yes indeedy, if only my hit rate with the Lightning were better, their poor ferrets might not be so hungry!  :lol:

23 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

A hushpower .410 can be an excellent tool .i use a folding single shot with a mod on the end. It works very well for me .in terms of fit and ability. .

Thanks, will keep an eye on the for sale section.  Funds are a little tight at the moment and as the Little Skeeters are currently (allegedly) winging their way across the Atlantic, will go with those for now.

21 hours ago, Cheesefiend said:

Welcome to the site, I’m also in Bristol.

I’m not a fan of early mornings and being cold, wet and muddy, but you could always get in touch with Clevedon wildfowling association, and (membership permitting) Bristol 12 bore club has a permission near the Severn bridge if I’m not mistaken.

Thanks for the tip, will do a search.  Bristol 12 bore club appears to not have an online presence?