New job landed!

chrisjpainter

Just got the word today that I've got the job I applied for. I actually went for a different one, thinking I wasn't skilled enough to get the real one, but they asked if I could apply and they gave it to me! It's at a local deer park, with the remit of to getting the park up to speed with its conservation agenda. They have ideas, land and habitat - but no real direction on how to do it, which is where I come in. 

Then, at some point, I can get round to convincing the general public that good conservation = good deer management, and that means numbers control!

Once step at a time though...

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Good luck.

You don't mention whether they have a decent budget for improvements. Matters often fall down due to monetary restraints.

It's not sooo bad, but it's pretty early days for them! New initiative that they've wanted to get on with for a while, but only now have they been in a financial position to get it done.

11 minutes ago, islandgun said:

nice one !  what other aspects does your new job entail

Plenty of stuff with the captive deer herds, herd management and the usual practical maintenance stuff too, habitat restructuring and then quite a lot of stuff with the public, doing guided walks and the like. Also, they want to start getting to grips with corporate days and volunteer work parties, which will be on me too. So pretty varied stuff and fortunately not too much with the farm animals! I'll be there for land management and conservation rather than fluffy bunny brigade babysitting!

Happy days

11 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

It's not sooo bad, but it's pretty early days for them! New initiative that they've wanted to get on with for a while, but only now have they been in a financial position to get it done.

Plenty of stuff with the captive deer herds, herd management and the usual practical maintenance stuff too, habitat restructuring and then quite a lot of stuff with the public, doing guided walks and the like. Also, they want to start getting to grips with corporate days and volunteer work parties, which will be on me too. So pretty varied stuff and fortunately not too much with the farm animals! I'll be there for land management and conservation rather than fluffy bunny brigade babysitting!

Happy days

Sounds brilliant..Ive done some guided walks here, looking at the ecology of the island,  Yours sounds like the the kind of job where you could make difference and enjoy..:good:

36 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Also, they want to start getting to grips with corporate days and volunteer work parties, which will be on me too.

Happy days

If deer farm is within sse distribution area, all sse employees get 1 paid day a year to help charities and communities.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Just got the word today that I've got the job I applied for. I actually went for a different one, thinking I wasn't skilled enough to get the real one, but they asked if I could apply and they gave it to me! It's at a local deer park, with the remit of to getting the park up to speed with its conservation agenda. They have ideas, land and habitat - but no real direction on how to do it, which is where I come in. 

Then, at some point, I can get round to convincing the general public that good conservation = good deer management, and that means numbers control!

Once step at a time though...

Sounds like fun, good luck.

Great stuff and well done.

Hopefully a job that brings a load of reward in terms of self development and growing your own knowledge and confidence as you take things forward.

It’s amazing what enthusiasm and drive can achieve before you spend anything.

Very best of luck in the new job